Nottingham pubs you really miss

NewBasfordlad, that info surprises me, I thought there was no breathalyser until late 70's/early 80's. I remember the BBC sending a reporter to our local pub in Bedfordshire on 9the day that I thought the breathalyser came into being.

I am sure the breathaliser came out late 60s,i remember being in Birmingham and having a slight panic attack seeing the Police stopping cars late one night when i had been drinking,think it was 69' may be wrong?

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

I remember a place called "The Railway Club" on Wilford Lane somewhere between the Chateau and the Rivermead flats we used to frequent the place on a sunday lunchtime it had one of those old fashioned tanner one armed bandits, Tic Tac Toe dropped the jackpot all in tanners and was one of the most wonderful sounds I can recall. Just wondered if anyone remembered the place and what it had to do with the railways.

Iused to work behind the bar at the 'railway club' in Bulwell in the 60s (4/6 per hour) and heard some of the members talk about the one in Wilford,and the one armed bandit was probably the same type,only accepted the old tanners,we used to play it after hours,one night it went wrong and paid out on every pull,the Steward immediatly made us cease playing it and pulled the plug out,very honest man.

I had some cracking Saturday nights in the early 70s in The Flying Horse opposite the council house. There used to be a guy in evening dress waiting outside at closing time, I think he was called Claude and he gave away tickets for a club somewhere in the Lace Market. I went a few times. There were loads of rooms lit with coloured lights. It was like a LSD trip gone wrong.

TRANDY SOUL CLUB @ THE TRENTSIDE CLUB (formerly the Railway Club) (opposite The Beeches Hotel) WILFORD LANE

When I saw the picture I was totally unconvinced but it seems you are right that is the place but not at all as I remember it. Then I came across the above on line.

• 1 month later...

Hearty Good Fellow , Flying Horse, Exchange, Fountain, Dog and Bear, Worros, Prnce Albert, King John, good times back int 70's

Our paths must have crossed many times in the above. Loved The Fountain.....big Forest pub.

Our paths must have crossed many times in the above. Loved The Fountain.....big Forest pub.

Yes we used it (Fountain)before games when we went down on the bus and then get turned away at night times (sometimes)

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a singing voice it did not matter. I have never smoked but I miss the smell of cigs and the smoke filled room's the smell of stale ale next day on your clothes.

When I was hummm young I could not understand why children were not allowed in pub's now being adult I can under stand why. Please mums and dads don't take this the wrong way, I to have had children but it still doe's not stop me thinking that a pub is not the place for them.

My brother married a German girl and can't wait to come back to the UK for his holls but alas all the pub's we know and loved have gone, never to return so let's think our selves lucky that most of us on this site were able to have been in these pub's that you mention.

• Upvote 6

The Turf Tavern around the mid 60's. By 10pm, you could barely see the bar from the door for smoke.

I'd have tears running down my cheeks before I'd even been served.

Well Michael, I thought you were my mate.

You might be correct though !!!!!!!!!

In those days Michael, my Art College mates and I would embark on outrageous pub crawls on Sat nights.

We'd try and do 20 pubs. Half in each and end up at the Spread Eagle or Guildhall Tavern.

I'll jot them down and post in a mo.

• Upvote 1

Bell, Imperial, News House, Sal, Kids, ind Coope pub near McDonald's Horse & Groom I think. Flying Horse, Exchange, Dod & Bear, QE, Black Boy, Crystal Palace, White Lion, Corner Pin, Miltons Head, another anonymous Ind Coope pub, Coach & Horses I think,

I was about pi55ed then, Blue Bell, Turf Tavern, Peach Tree, Guildhall Tavern.

We once did 20 pubs before 10pm and I raced upstairs in the Spread Eagle and fell flat on my face in the middle of the cocktail bar.

Banned again for another week..

Great, great days early to late 60's. You could and did get away with anything !!!!!!

This was of courser after a dinner time session in the Goldsmith Tavern. Positively the worst beer in Notts. Holes Newark Ales ugh.