Nottingham pubs you really miss

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

Annesleyred

Back in the late 70s I used to work (very amateurishly but enthusiatiscally) in sound engineering at the Hearty.

I used to go to see bands there sometimes because my mates liked them but I am a Country Music fan and only went for the beer, they would only stop there for an hour or so

When I used to work on Parliament Street, lunchtime was either Blue Bell, TITT, Peach Tree, Turf Tavern, or if money was getting tight, Parliament House for a pint of God-awful Shippos.

Early sixties, if I were down town on Satdy, I would nip into the Queen Elizabeth on Bottle Lane. The Murgatroydes kept it, and their son and I had the same music taste - Hank Williams. I never was a town boozer, though, preferred the Cocked Hat, Collier's Arms, Horseshoe at Bulwell, Log Cabin, the Gate in Awsworth, TBI for the jazz.

The Portland was my stamping ground went there recently and was amazed that its layout was little changed.

The bar billiards had gone..... sadly!

• 2 weeks later...

There's a dent on the pavement that's the same shape as my forehead !

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

bit late on this post but really would like to comment on missing not only the pub locally called the Glue Pot, real name White Hart, in Carrington, but the whole area, which has just about disappeared. Glue Pot, (White Hart), was at the bottom of Ramsey St. & Babworth St. Dad lived at 21 Ramsey St. i would often sit on the step of pub on Babworth St. listening to the old uns singing inside, this was around 1948-50. Many happy memories, happy happy memories.

Two pubs have great memories for me. The Scotholme Hotel at Basford, as l worked at Shippos l spent most of my lunch times in there and often a pint or two before going home in the evening. The other being the Whistle Stop, in the basement of the Victoria Hotel, always packed, plenty of women, a great pub to start before hitting the other pubs in the city before going onto a club. They were good times

Could someone explain to me why the Flying Horse was closed down, it was always packed in there on a weekend and our favourite meeting place, it must have made a fortune.

When I moved to Finchingfield in Essex 20 years ago it had 4 pubs, considering the small size of the place, it was astonishing.

The Green Man closed down about 10 years ago, but the village still has 3 pubs!!

There's The Fox, the tourists watering hole on the village green, the Red Lion on the hill, the most ancient and pleasant, but the landlord resigned after Greene King shut down Ridleys brewery, then there's the Three Tuns where all the old boys go, how they all survive is beyond me and they all have to sell the same bloody Greene King beer, not much choice round here anymore.

I loved the Flying horse, it was always packed - we had luncheon vouchers and I spent them in there too, they had great lunchtime meals........I always thought it was a listed building and was flabbergasted when it closed......There was another pub opposite St Peter's Church which was a great lunchtime watering hole .....Nottingham is not the same.........

The Imperial on St James's St on Saturday lunch time before going off to play rugby with The Casuals and then back again in the evening

And the Black Boy before they knoked it down for Littlewoods I think.

Had some great times in the Black Boy was one of Nottingham's best places for a berni, a dance and a drink.............

Dunno if you're saying Savoy was a Bernie...it wasn't...Grosvenor over the road was though.

Spent many a happy hour drinking outside the Grosvenor in the summer of the 60's - chatting with the girls and was taken there a lot for a Berni Meal, steak and strawberries and a good glass of house red............oh happy days............

• Upvote 1

Remember the George Hotel on George Street, dead posh, allegedly.

One day the then PM, Ted Heath, stayed there so we went to suss out the bar.

Standing there with me pint, I noticed things crawling on the floor. Looking closely, I saw to my horror that they were cockroaches, they were everywhere, the only time I've ever seen them in an establishment in this country.

A woman sitting nearby asked me why I was looking at her legs, when I told her that a cockroach had crawled under her seat, she freaked out.

The next minute a manager arrived and asked me what I was up to, I told him that his establishment was overrun with cockroaches and he smiled and said that I didn't know what I was talking about and not to alarm the customers, at which point I peeled one off my shoe and gave it to him. I was promptly removed by some very large gentlemen, very politely I must say, and 30 plus years on, I've never been back.

We sometimes drank at the George on a Saturday Night in the late sixties,( it was supposed to be posh) before going off to the Ninety Nine Club - mostly we drank outside the Playhouse Bar, especially in the summer nights, when the plays ended the Usherette would let us into the Green Room and we drank/mixed/partied with the actors, sometimes until dawn - I met Robert Powell, Nicola Pagett and Mark McManus before they became the famous TV stars of the Seventies..................Wilfred Bramble (Steptoe) was there a lot.........Had some great times............The Salutation was another Favourite along with the Royal Children.....The Trip to Jerusalem was a weeknight haunt where we met our friends to chill.........

When I visited the Vic center in 1974 I seem to remember a pub tucked into a corner near the water clock called the "New Vic" in fact I think it was even in the movie I took at the time. I will have to re- run it and check.

There was a Pub there in the Vic Centre in the Seventies, eighties, up until the ninties, I think it was called The Welbeck - my cousin Sally Thorpe managed it until it closed down...............I often popped in for a drink when I was shopping........small but nice...........

I miss every single pub I ever went in.

That's because I rarely frequent town nowadays. Mores the pity.

• Upvote 1

I remember going in The New Vic, with my Mam and her sisters in the 1970s. Was the place bought and closed down because Alcohol was against the new owners religeon?

Not living in Nottingham now, we are relying on memory. (Could be wrong) Hubbs seems to think there was an entry door in the center and another to the street! Does that ring any bells?

Really miss the Colliers Arms, Cinderhill, especially after last night's reunion.

To view photo's see

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=41536187703

I can remember the Colliers Arms, a bit of a spit and sawdust place but had some great 60's Friday Night's there............I lived on Bells Lane, my hubby Malc, owned the Butchers shop.........went with my neighbour Barbara Wood who was a regular and her mate a scottish lady called Ann and her bloke called called Eddie.........brings back some great memories..........I must have known you........the miners from Babbington pit were some of my hubbies best customers, he opened up as early as 6am so as to serve the miners on their way home from the night shift.........great times...

Does anybody remember the Horse and Groom that used to be in a courtyard at the corner of Wheeler gate and St.Peters Gate ?

I worked there for a while in 1966.

Good pub but lousy ale.

"Shipos"

Baz :ninja:

Yes, I remember that pub, couldn't think of it's name - I drank in there some lunch times.......I worked for a solicitiors and the County Court was up the road,......Monday was Divorces, often popped in after the morning sessions with the Articled clerks and Legal Execs for a Mackesons......

I know there is probably a whole tread about the Berni inns but they are the ones I miss "The Chateau" on Wilford lane was somewhere the Mrs and me would go on a saturday night when we could afford it, Prawn Cocktail, Steak and Blackforest Gateau, those were the days!!

Went to the Chateau a lot in the late sixties, early Seventies, mostly had a bat round and ended up there especially on a Sunday night, I loved it.......Had my engagement party there, great disco.......You would alwys bump into someone you knew...........