Nottingham pubs you really miss

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

On 15/10/2008 at 11:46 PM, zab said:

The News House on St James Street was for many years my favourite pub in town, now totally ruined in the interest of profit and an Australian theme. Also, not a regular but I always enjoyed a pint at the Crystal Palace.

Been trying my hardest to think of that pubs name which is why I'm on this thread. Used to go in there on Saturdays after going in Way Ahead record shop to buy vinyl. Cheers!

Can anyone tell me the name of the pub on the left of Market Street as you went up the road? I used to go in there when on a Saturday all dayer with my old drinking buddy in my late teens. The pub vanished when the Pearsons site behind it and down onto Angel Row was redeveloped at the very end of the 1980's. I recall inside of it was a well, could've been a fake one as it had a wire ledge in it and lighting and a skeleton on the ledge. People used to get up and dance on a long bar (not where the drinks were served but another bar across the middle of the pub)

I was fortunate enough to be raised in Kimberley and when last orders was called in the Nelson and Railway, we could still get drinks in the Cricketers Rest, Queens Head and the Lord Clyde...didn't bother with The Gate as the landlord was horrible. It was great living there with being a brewing town, Friday afternoons when the draymen knocked off work was always fun in the pubs especially the Nelly & Clyde. I left Notts in 2000 and since then Greene King bought out the brewery and closed it.i just cannot imagine the place now. 

• Upvote 1
On 23/03/2009 at 6:59 PM, Fynger said:

Cant count the times we all turned up at the Sal to find upstairs had been decked with tables with posh tablecloths on em to be told 'you not allowed in no more'..its now a restaurant....then had to wait 2 weeks till it reverted back cos no one went in.

Seriously? Upstairs in the Sal was on my Saturday pub crawl back in the late eighties and also we would go in there on Friday before heading to Rock City. What's the place like now? 

On 16/10/2008 at 5:44 PM, .... said:

I DO remember The Flying Horse having a reputation as a place where gay people met, Bazzer. I drank there in the late seventies but I think it gained that reputation before that. Quite agree about the 'so what', though.

I used to go in the News House and my mother used to say it was a 'gay pub', never saw evidence of it myself and don't recall the FH being gay either. Iirc Gatsbys was a gay pub

1 hour ago, Kimberley said:

I used to go in there when on a Saturday all dayer with my old drinking buddy in my late teens.

Seems quite strange now that pubs only opened between 12 & 2pm - 6pm to 10.30pm which was only fully brought in, in 2005! 

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/01/2017 at 11:04 AM, radfordred said:

Seems quite strange now that pubs only opened between 12 & 2pm - 6pm to 10.30pm which was only fully brought in, in 2005! 

Back when pubs had regulated licensed opening hours, you just knew every pub was open every dinner time and every night whereas since pubs were allowed all day drinking, many pubs close on what were the traditional quiet days at the beginning of a week. Nowadays, especially in rural areas, you have to check their opening days and hours.

I don't know what the county licensing hours were but Kimberley was 10:30-14:30 and 19:00-23:00 every day except Sunday when it was 12:00-15:00 (11:30 using the back door of the Queen's) and 19:00-22:30. I remember seeing two particular wasters at the door of the Cricketers Rest actually knocking on the door if not opened on the dot of 19:00, I remember the couple had children (no idea where as they were in the Cricks from opening til closing 7 nights a week) and they hadn't worked a day in their lives (and that was seemingly rare in Kimbo back in 1986/1987). I did love the drinking culture though, I knew everyone from school/working in the 'village'. The Clyde was open until all hours, it wasn't unusual after a Friday or Saturday night lock in, to exit the side door at 2 or 3am...then I turned 18 and gave up drinking. :P

• Upvote 1

In the mid sixties I had blonde hair, peaches 'n' cream complexion, quite slim and couldn't grow facial hair if you paid me.

I can assure you the FH had more than it's fair share of those that bat for the other side.

Even so I had some great nights in there before moving on to the Bell, County Hotel, Corner Pin, Yates........ the rest got a bit hazy after that.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

I have just sat for ten minuets going though this topic and I see that there are two pubs not mentioned!!

Now I won't tell you the name of them but they used to face each other on Lower Parliament street and both had very similar names.

Correct!!!

#367. Back in the 1960s the landlord of The Three Horse Shoes was an ex-RAF Transport Command pilot. His nickname was 'Lucky' but I cannot recall his real name. I went to see him after an article had appeared in the NEP about him. He was the pilot of the York aircraft that took Churchill to Yalta for the famous conference. He showed me his logbook with the record of the flight.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone recall the name of the coffee bar which was above the Three Tuns on the corner of Wasrser Gate and Fletcher Gate, or was it just called Three Tuns coffee bar? I think it has been mentioned here sometime in the past but I can't come across mention of it. My SiL remembers it as being somewhat Turkish in appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

I used drink at welbeck inn used near vic centre and the corner pin now they are shops .Dog &bear ,The flying horse, QE  , The only one still there in the Meadows,at same place has had few names in past , Still on Queens Bridge Road  and corner of the Street I was brought up on  The Grove which now has the name Vat & Fiddle. 

When I was doing my apprenticeship in the sixties I was at Bell street in the old Meadows area. We had a Shipstones pub next door to us, the name of which escapes me, but the younger lads preferred to go on to Arkwright Street and go to the New Bridge which was Home Ales. Must admit the beer was a bit kinder on the system.

3 hours ago, woody said:

When I was doing my apprenticeship in the sixties I was at Bell street in the old Meadows area. We had a Shipstones pub next door to us, the name of which escapes me, but the younger lads preferred to go on to Arkwright Street and go to the New Bridge which was Home Ales. Must admit the beer was a bit kinder on the system.

The Shippos pub at the end of Bell St was the Belvoir. Kiddiers Engineering next door but Burroughs across the street.

The New Bridge Inn was always Shipstones of course.