Nottingham pubs you really miss

In a respect so many of them are still there, but sullied beyond belief these days. One I miss would be in the shape of The Lion on Clumber Street. Latterly it was pretty horrible but for a time in the seventies and eighties I spent a lot of time in that place. In the day they had the best prawn and cream cheese sandwiches on a Saturday lunchtime too before a 'Sport Billy' day watching Notts or Forest and the Panthers to follow as a main course during the evening. All interspersed with a few(?) pints as well.

Which ones do you really miss?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

The News House on St James Street was for many years my favourite pub in town, now totally ruined in the interest of profit and an Australian theme. Also, not a regular but I always enjoyed a pint at the Crystal Palace.

• Upvote 1

I concur with Beefy,

Luckily (!?!?) I havn't had to see some of the best pubs in the World go down hill,,,,,,

When I left in 1970, they were all great.

I popped back for a few months work in 1976, & noticed quite a differnce in that short time,,,,,, The Flying Horse was still open then.

We don't seem to have PUBs any more -- WHY ?

The breweries spout on about 'progress' (its-self a contradiction in terms) but what for ? Drinkers like pubs. If we like 'em, we will frequent them.

I've got nothing against kids & their need for noisy 'pop dens',,, but surely there's room in all Cities, towns & villages for both !

The kids can go where they like, & the drinkers can go to pubs !

s'easy

of course, here in Cornwall we can still find the odd (very odd sometimes) old fashioned pub, but it's not by design,,,,, it's that they are a bit (oooops nearly said 'backwards') but you know what I mean,,,, a bit behind the times,,,,

that lectric stuff looks fun,,,, wonder if it'll catch on,,,,,,,,,,?

Baz the Pirate

Could someone explain to me why the Flying Horse was closed down, it was always packed in there on a weekend and our favourite meeting place, it must have made a fortune.

When I moved to Finchingfield in Essex 20 years ago it had 4 pubs, considering the small size of the place, it was astonishing.

The Green Man closed down about 10 years ago, but the village still has 3 pubs!!

There's The Fox, the tourists watering hole on the village green, the Red Lion on the hill, the most ancient and pleasant, but the landlord resigned after Greene King shut down Ridleys brewery, then there's the Three Tuns where all the old boys go, how they all survive is beyond me and they all have to sell the same bloody Greene King beer, not much choice round here anymore.

• Upvote 2

For me The Old Volunteer in Caythorpe is missed, a while back the brewery decided to turn it into a restaurant, whilst the then landlady/landlord went round the corner to run another pub, but as of yet there seems to be no one responding to the "run this pub" sign (or whatever it says) So it just sits there, refurbished bit closed.

Along the road towards Hoveringham, you will also find the Marquis Of Granby has closed, and is now a "private dining" and b & b place.

Thank goodness for the traditional Black Horse in Caythorpe, 4 real ales, and 2 of them locale, and actually brewed on the premises!

• Upvote 1

I would also like to know the story behind the Flying Horse - it pains me to see the building these days.

Not in Nottingham, but the pub that I miss the most is the "original" Bell in Long Eaton. When I first started going there (I was probably 17) it was a real "old" pub - really a house that sold beer. There was a small back room where we would all congregate on a Friday night and had a great time. Then it got "renovated" - we still used it as the meeting place, but the atmosphere (and the good beer) was gone - it has slowly gone downhill since then and now I think I would be risking life-and-limb to enter the place.

I know the same is true of many other similar places - I remember one in Stanton-by-Dale and I'm sure there were lots of them in Nottingham. Such a shame, it seems like a part of Englands heritage has disappeared with them.

Another thing I miss about the old "pubs" was that they were a great place to eliminate the "generation gap". Seems to me there were folks from every generation in them, and they all talked and got-along together. If an old chap needed help to fix his car, one of the young lads would volunteer, and so it went. Where has that all gone?

• Upvote 1

I've been all round the Internet trying to find out why the Flying Horse closed, without success, it's a bit of a mystery to me. There's an old thread on here about the place, but know one seems to know why. One worrying comment suggests it was a bit of a gay bar in the 60's/70's, I honestly don't remember that, it was always a good place for a snog with drunken secretaries around Xmas time, I hope they were actually female, they seemed to be at the time.

A couple of regulars on a friday night were Pedro Richards and Viv Anderson, they used to meet up in the bar upstairs, a good example of County/Forest friendship over a few pints.

What was the name of the pub next door but one to the Flying Horse, I remember it was a bit rough and all the pros used to be offering their services outside at closing time.

One saturday we went to a party in West Bridgeford and one of our mates got off with a very attractive girl and ended upstairs in bed with her.The next week we were leaving the Horse and saw her lurking outside the pub next door, when she saw us, she hid her face, he was worried for a while afterwards over what he might have caught, I think he ended up going to Glasshouse Street for a check up.

A bloke just down the road from us in Braintree took over a bar on the next street, he refused to sell the usual Greene King rubbish and sold local micro brewery beer. In his living room round the back he put on folk bands and had play yourself nights. Thing is, he refused to acknowledge the smoking ban in that room, his excuse was that it was part of his own private house and he could do what he liked. The result, constant fines and court appearances resulting in the place being shut down a few weeks ago, a tragedy really, another local pub gone, whether you agree with his motives or not and most people seemed to agree with them.

Another thing I miss about the old "pubs" was that they were a great place to eliminate the "generation gap". Seems to me there were folks from every generation in them, and they all talked and got-along together. If an old chap needed help to fix his car, one of the young lads would volunteer, and so it went. Where has that all gone?

so true,,,, that used to be the same in all walks of life back then,,,,,, (despite the 'public' personna of the "Big I am" - that all teenagers put on) they wouldn't need asking twice,,,, nor the other way round,,,,,, the old 'uns had time for the 'young upstarts',,,,,

why has it all changed,,,,, surely it can't be our fault - can it ?

Baz

• Upvote 1

FLYING HORSE – Gay ? Not as far as I recall,,,, or that it would have bothered me. There were lots of other vices maybe,,,, but so what ? Even so, there are other Gay pubs that don’t get shut down (tho’ I s’pose there is the odd case where one might ?!?!).

The last time I was in there was '76,,,, & it was still a great place, with atmosphere & characters that I had forgotten existed,,,,,,

I can understand new pubs / so called ‘theme’ pubs / none entity pubs etc close down,,,,, but the FH must have been there for donkeys years. It ought to be illegal to close such places.

You can’t bring them back & you certainly can’t build new pubs with the attributes. We really ought to hang on to ‘em,,,,

so true,,,, that used to be the same in all walks of life back then,,,,,, (despite the 'public' personna of the "Big I am" - that all teenagers put on) they wouldn't need asking twice,,,, nor the other way round,,,,,, the old 'uns had time for the 'young upstarts',,,,,

why has it all changed,,,,, surely it can't be our fault - can it ?

Baz

No it's the us and them situation created by the media. My youth is 14, I'm an old git at 57, does he have a problem with that, no way, we will no doubt spend the evening cracked up with my tales, as well as his, as we usually do, it's a good laugh, we just get on with it, perhaps he's special but it's the way you deal with it, isn't it?

Having a Uni older graduate son giving a him kick up the backside helps as well, but then I've gone through all that with his majesty as well, he's always enjoyed going to traditional pubs and taking in the atmosphere, he still does, lurking round the Nottingham pubs has, by his own admittance, been a good learning curve for him.

FLYING HORSE – Gay ? Not as far as I recall,,,,

I DO remember The Flying Horse having a reputation as a place where gay people met, Bazzer. I drank there in the late seventies but I think it gained that reputation before that. Quite agree about the 'so what', though.

The Exchange had that reputation (I won't go into details but there was a big kick off in there Christmas 79 !!)

Along the road towards Hoveringham, you will also find the Marquis Of Granby has closed, and is now a "private dining" and b & b place.

Thank goodness for the traditional Black Horse in Caythorpe, 4 real ales, and 2 of them locale, and actually brewed on the premises!

I'm really surprised at the news about the Marquis, Craig. I often take a walk which takes in Hoveringham and have used the two pubs quite a bit along the way, (though the Reindeer invariably gets my vote). There seemed to have been a lot of money spent on the Marquis which adds to my surprise. I have to say though, and the pub is hardly on it's own in this respect, .I could never find the place open when passing by. Country pubs like that I tend to give up on and I'm sure others do in favour of somewhere they know will be open on visiting.

I'm really surprised at the news about the Marquis, Craig.

I worked in the Marquis about 1984, when Barbara Bowmar ran it. She had a reputation for standing no nonsense; lovely lady and a pleasure to work for. The pub had a reputation for a good pint of "Pedi", and IIRC did food as well; lady called Kath Scott, who I think still lives in the village, did the cooking.

After Barbara retired, a chap called Barry (can't remember the surname) took it over; I remember once turning up on my Harley and asking a puzzled Barry why he'd served me; poor bloke was baffled till I took him outside and pointed to the "No Motorcyclists" on the pub sign, a throwback to the 70's when we were (sometimes for a good reason) not always welcome.

I'm delighted to say the sign was altered. Sadly the pub was never the same, often happens when a long-standing and popular publican leaves. A great pity it hasn't survived as a pub; another victim of the times.

As a footnote; at the same time as I was working at the "Marquis", a guy called Ashley ran the "Reindeer" opposite. Wonderful character, a natural entertainer but unfortunately he took too much of an interest in the top shelf, to the detriment of his profits and health. His wife was an ex-air hostess, who could match him drink for drink; the rows were spectacular to say the least!

I DO remember The Flying Horse having a reputation as a place where gay people met, Bazzer. I drank there in the late seventies but I think it gained that reputation before that. Quite agree about the 'so what', though.

I'd have thought my mate & I would have picked up on it,,,,,,, we used to go to a couple of gay pubs in the mid/late 60's, but I can't for the life of me recall their names. (maybe one was the Napier ?!)

Both my mate & I are complete 'hetros',,,, & were totally 'accepted' by the regulars,,,, we wern't there to gawp or take the pee,,,, we always had a good laugh,,,

Like most others at that time we were/are anti nothing in those days,,,,,, and to a degree - apart rom paedos & rapists - still am anti nothing.

Live & Let Live (as long as it hurts no-one else).

Baz

• Upvote 1

Here's another one - Worro's Wine Bar

The traditional greeting by Bob Worro at the door 'evening gentlemen'

The sticky carpets that endangered the chances of you ever getting out of there again.

The loud r-o-c-k-!

The SCRUMPY!

Rock Chicks!

--

Now I'm feeling sad...

• Upvote 1