Nottingham pubs you really miss

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

Remember the George Hotel on George Street, dead posh, allegedly.

One day the then PM, Ted Heath, stayed there so we went to suss out the bar.

Standing there with me pint, I noticed things crawling on the floor. Looking closely, I saw to my horror that they were cockroaches, they were everywhere, the only time I've ever seen them in an establishment in this country.

A woman sitting nearby asked me why I was looking at her legs, when I told her that a cockroach had crawled under her seat, she freaked out.

The next minute a manager arrived and asked me what I was up to, I told him that his establishment was overrun with cockroaches and he smiled and said that I didn't know what I was talking about and not to alarm the customers, at which point I peeled one off my shoe and gave it to him. I was promptly removed by some very large gentlemen, very politely I must say, and 30 plus years on, I've never been back.

• Upvote 2

Remember the George Hotel on George Street, dead posh, allegedly.

My Nottingham days were 1975-1986 and my employers put me up there when I first arrived.It was a 3 star hotel at the time.I remember at one time they held a Single,Divorced or Separated Club on Sunday nights.I understand it is now called the Comfort Hotel/Inn.I think the most famous person(arguably) who ever stayed there was apparently Charles Dickens.

In a respect so many of them are still there, but sullied beyond belief these days. One I miss would be in the shape of The Lion on Clumber Street. Latterly it was pretty horrible but for a time in the seventies and eighties I spent a lot of time in that place. In the day they had the best prawn and cream cheese sandwiches on a Saturday lunchtime too before a 'Sport Billy' day watching Notts or Forest and the Panthers to follow as a main course during the evening. All interspersed with a few(?) pints as well.

Which ones do you really miss?

Yeah Stu,I have fond memories of that place too.My Nottingham days were 1975-1986 so it would have been late 70's/early 80's I went in there most - Friday and smetimes Saturday evenings with mates and occasionally in the week with a girlfriend.The people who ran the pub were Hilary & Adrian.Hilary was a no-nonsense type - she was in charge and you better believe it.Always found Adrian to be a bit on the disagreeable side.At Xmas they used to decorate the interior very impressively with green and silver paper.

Could someone explain to me why the Flying Horse was closed down, it was always packed in there on a weekend and our favourite meeting place, it must have made a fortune.

Yeah,Firbeck at one time I would go in the FH but only following my mates.It was a Berni Inn wasn't it ? Maybe that had something to do with the reason it closed ? All keg beer as I recall so I don't think any self-respecting member of CAMRA would be seen in there.It became part of a shopping centre didn't it ?

Also, not a regular but I always enjoyed a pint at the Crystal Palace.

Yeah,Zab,the Crystal Palace,Clumber Street.It closed down during my Nottingham days - 1975-1986.I recall the people who ran it were Derek (?) and Mary (?).Became a shop after it closed.Somebody on here told me it is now a amusement arcade.When it was a pub they used to have a guy on a honky-tonk piano.The building has magnificent large rounded windows either side of the door.They were protected/listed or whatever,so at least they can't screw that up.

I remember about 30 years ago using a watering hole called 'The Mechanics Arms' on Alfred Street North. It was I believe, the only Davenports House in Nottingham. Used to be run by a dear old couple called Ron and Beatty. a good open mike sing song on a Friday and Saturday night. I believe it became an Irish bar after that though I don't know what it is now!

Yeah,Firbeck at one time I would go in the FH but only following my mates.It was a Berni Inn wasn't it ? Maybe that had something to do with the reason it closed ? All keg beer as I recall so I don't think any self-respecting member of CAMRA would be seen in there.It became part of a shopping centre didn't it ?

I think that you've solved it, I'd forgotten it was a Berni Inn, on the other hand you would have thought that such a succesful pub would have been snapped up by another chain, but maybe, in their death throes, Berni saw another deal and made money out of it that way.

As far as the beer is concerned, I remember it was keg rubbish, we only used to drink Guiness and strangely enough they managed to serve a reasonable pint of it too. At the time, in the early 70's, in order, the best pints of Guiness obtainable were my girlfriends fathers pub in Slaithwaite, West Yorks, The Buttery Bar at Nottingham Uni, and most of the time, though it could be bad occasionally, The Flying Horse. What 'beers' were served in it's heyday, I really can't remember, bloody Whitbread filth no doubt.

The Mechanics Arms on Alfred St changed its name to Pride of Erin, not sure if it's still called that.

There was another Davenports pub on Kirkwhite St in the Meadows, could have been the Cricket Players.

Den.

.I understand it is now called the Comfort Hotel/Inn.I think the most famous person(arguably) who ever stayed there was apparently Charles Dickens.

That's interesting Russ, I'd never heard that. On a similar theme I understand that the poet Lord Byron's funeral cortege and body stayed at The George overnight on the way to Hucknall Torkard's St. Mary's Church for his internment. Apparently there was a huge turnout in the streets of Nottingham for the deceased poet's procession.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but I thought that Byrons body was buried in Italy and only his heart was interred at Hucknall Church, or perhaps I'm wrong and it's the other way around, but I think not, that coffin must have been rattling around.

• Upvote 1

No bud but that's a very interesting twist on an old tale!

It was often quoted that Byron's body was interned at Hucknall St Mary's but that his 'heart was in Greece'. The latter misunderstanding was from a quote by the poet which people took quite literally - that his heart had been removed and buried in Greece. This was taken so seriously that it was decided to exhume his body which is buried in the Byron family tomb, back in 1938 to find out the truth.

My mother, a Hucknall woman who attended St. Mary's had a a relative, A. E. Houldsworth who was one of a small select group of people who went into the crypt with Canon Barber to verify that the tale was not true and that Byron's body was indeed intact in the tomb. Byron's burial place in the crypt is documented inside St Mary's. In the link is a statement by the family relative.

http://www.trivia-library.com/b/famous-exh...-lord-byron.htm

• Upvote 1
Tavern in the Town / Dog & Bear / Fountain / Mortimer's Cavern / Flying Horse / Turf Tavern why did they close/destroy all the best pubs in town ?

I used to go in all of these at one time.My verdicts below:-

Tavern in the Town - all keg, ,so not recommended for it's beer.I used to go in when I first moved down to Nottingham - 1975.I used to talk to a barmaid called Karen who helped welcome me.

Fountain - Home Ales pub with the amiable Larry Bednall as landlord.Not known for the quality of it's beer but very lively particularly at weekend.

Mortimers Cavern - I'd forgotten about this one and even where it was - somewhere around the back of the Theatre Royal maybe ? Played mostly rock music if I'm thinking of the right place.

Flying Horse - A Berni Inn.Very popular but all keg beer.

Dog & Bear - another pub not noted for the quality of it's beer.All keg stuff.

Turf Tavern - A Shippos pub which sold a good pint of bitter - one of my favourite city centre pubs until I left the area in 1986 to come "home."

Mortimers Cavern - I'd forgotten about this one and even where it was - somewhere around the back of the Theatre Royal maybe ? Played mostly rock music if I'm thinking of the right place.

You have the right one, Russ. Morts was on Masonic Place off Goldsmith Street, facing the side of the tall Newton Building of the then Trent Polytechnic, now NTU.

Can't open those pics Sue , (You have to be a member of Face book) download to Photo bucket and post from there

Ayup Sue, in 1978 i used to drive for Cresta taxis in Bulwell and often used to pick up at the Colliers. Quite regular we used to pick up a couple who had an off license in Eastwood, forget their names though.

Den.

Ayup Sue,

I agree the Colliers was a good pub, I think the landlady was called Doll, had some great nights in there and always very friendly people, thanks for reminding me of the place

Rog

• Upvote 1

My locals over the years have been:

the Union - long gone

the bowling green - long gone

the fox - changed it's name years ago,

the one on Glass house street that i've forgoten the name of,

the gregory,

the Plough,

the Alma,

the Nottingham,

the falcon,

the hand and heart on and off for years and my current favourite pub!

the Raleigh,

the running horse,

the borlase warren,

the portland - which I loved when Vi was there but I won't go in under the current regime.

Probably many others but I can't remember anymore for now.

• Upvote 1

Now I thought I went in a few pubs but by the look of Carols venues I'm just a beginner.

The Hand and Heart is that #65 Derby road Nottm?

The Falcon..that's were many years ago when still in my teens I charcoaled one of three darts that inadvertently jumped from the dart board into the log fire, you see the dartboard was hung over an open fire….

The Alma was on my rounds as a young drinker at diner times 1-2 five days a week.

The Plough I still go in on the odd occasion, only when I can get a lift there from my mate.

Bip.

• Upvote 1