Nottingham pubs you really miss

Was it called the Mint Bar?  I do remember it being totally separated from the Albany hotel. I was working on the top floor of nearby Newland House around that time fo a company that handled the finance for the giant Phillips Electrical Group and my region was Scotland

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

Yes it was the Mint Bar. I went out with one of the barmen for a while. If he was on at dinner time used to get enormous servings of their shepherds pie!

Many thanks. The Mint  at the Albany is the one I was asking about. Also in that link from Cliff Ton there is the Sheiling Bar at the Strathdon which I was also asking about.

I remember the Hearty Good Fellow (later version) as having the reputation for a time as having the worst kept beer in the city. I went there a couple of times but hated it as all that expanse of windows made it feel like being an exhibit in a zoo.

• Upvote 1

Most of the pubs recently mentioned, such as the HGF, King John, Strathdon etc were mainly starting points and meeting places before moving on elsewhere. The Strathdon I particularly remember as being a real dump, and the thought of anyone spending the whole evening there is unimaginable.

• Like 1

Did nobody on yer' go in the Blenheim, on Sellars wood rd.? Used to work the bar there till I left Nottingham in '87.

There were some good jazz evenings at the Strathdon but, as you say, FLY2, it was for the most part a dump. The saving grace for the place, perhaps, was the indomitable Veronica behind the bar. Veronica has been mentioned on these pages before. Very interesting woman who seemed to quite like me - at least she was polite and would have a conversation with me - unlike the majority of the punters there.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/7708-car-dealers/?page=17&tab=comments#comment-556859

• Upvote 1

My favourites from about 62 - 70, were the Guildhall Tavern, The County Hotel Bar, the Black Boy, The Bell, The Spread Eagle, the Albert, and Yates's.

• Like 1

When I was working in town in the sixties my choice for a cheese roll and a pint was either the Guildhall or the Spread Eagle. Both pubs were geared up for a fast lunchtime trade. Hopefully, if I was away from the town centre , I could claim lunch on expenses. That was back in the day when I could eat two large meals a day!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Mint Bar was in the Albany Hotel, which is now part of the Britannia Hotel chain.

In recent times it's all gone down hill a bit.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/police-issue-britannia-hotel-warning-2591253

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/which-deems-britannia-hotels-worst-3473665

• Like 1

Very rarely frequented estate or suburban pubs. In the 60's, it was town, town, town ! 

Then in the 70's it was  more rural areas........ Yes ! Before anyone moans, it was pre breathalyser days ! 

On 10/31/2019 at 10:09 AM, jonab said:

The other place, or places, were the bars at the Strathdon Hotel. There was the large bar with the entrance via Wollaton Street - that may have been the Tryst bar and the other the small bar on the Derby Road side.

Timescale here is the 1970s.

Yes, the large bar on the Wollaton St side was the Tryst and where the music was played. Never heard of the Shieling bar, on the Derby Rd side was the small ( pretty rubbish ) restaurant. Don't know what was upstairs though.

Pub I miss for lunchtime was the Sal, we often nipped up from Woolies for a couple of pints and great ham/cheese salad crusty cobs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Beekay said:

Did nobody on yer' go in the Blenheim, on Sellars wood rd.? Used to work the bar there till I left Nottingham in '87.

Seems like they didn't.

I seem to remember that Seller's wood is part of Rise Park and where Sankey's got their clay from. Is that right?

The pubs I miss are (in no particular order):

The Grosvenor (only because I lived next door).

The New Inn (Mansfield Road. Now called The Carrington New Inn or somesuch. I only went in there while my washing was being done in the launderette next door).

Forest Tavern. Not a very nice place but convenient for a quick pint on the way to the city.

Guildhall Tavern. Very good cobs and cold sausages (leftovers from the lunch trade and quite rare). 

Spread Eagle

Black Boy

Old Corner Pin (for their Stilton sandwiches)

The Bell

Yates's

News House

Sawyer's

Cricketer's

Flying Horse

Blue Bell

Playhouse bar

Strathdon (mainly for the jazz)

Portland Arms

and more which won't come to mind ATM.

The above list makes me look like a real boozer. I wasn't, honest, guv

The estate (Snape Wood) is next door to Bulwell cemetery.  Sankeys used to be on Sellars Wood road. I believe  it's  gone now. The area as grown somewhat since I  were there. Thought Rise park was next to Bestwood.

My memories of Nottm and surrounds are most likely more distant than yours, BK. I've been down here for thirty five or so years and my visits up north have been very few.