Nottingham pubs you really miss

Didn't  use to drink much in town, sort of lost interest when i came of age. Used to frequent the Midland hotel, Kennington road or White horse, Faraday road, till I  got married. Then it were anywhere who'd  have me.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, jonab said:

My memories of Nottm and surrounds are most likely more distant than yours, BK. I've been down here for thirty five or so years and my visits up north have been very few.

Only go back about twice a year Jonab. Mileage and fuel costs make it too prohibitive.

As for drinking down here, can't  be arsed! 

Lack of mobility severely restricts my travel nowadays. I was last in RU Christmas 2017/18 but only managed the south of England. I have my English property up for sale. Once that's gone and considering I am now un citoyen français, I doubt that I will be returning.

The Albert was a legend with Vera I have seen her get a paddy on his knees clearing up a drink spillage We used to go over at lunch time when I worked at chapel bar garage The apprentice got kahlide on vodka  When we took him back to work his legs seemed to be independent to his body so we put him the back of a van to sleep it off  A bit later we heard a motorcycle strike up on rushing outside we were met with the site of a norton jubilee on its side going round and round on the foot rest with him on it smoke pouring from the wheel I dragged him off it Then later on I had the dubious pleasure of having to take him home on it it was like riding with a muppet on the back  I think it cured him he never went near vera again  meeowed

I think 'Vera' at the Albert was one in the same as 'Veronica' at the Strathdon. As I have intimated in my posts about her, it is highly unlikely there could have been two with the same attributes:)

• Like 1

Vera never fitted in at the strathdon she would walk between the tables then you would receive a smart blow to the back of your head  she would remark that was for nothing just wait until you do something  I last saw her many years ago at sneinton market with a carrier bag going round the stalls I was told she had an altercation with one of the william youngers management and she was gone shortly afterwards we will never see her like again meeowed

• Like 1

Sorry Jonab. You posted something twice, so I deleted one of them and both disappeared. I can only assume another mod had the same idea, at the same time!

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, katyjay said:

Sorry Jonab. You posted something twice, so I deleted one of them and both disappeared. I can only assume another mod had the same idea, at the same time!

Maybe we need a moderator coordinator to coordinate the moderators to eliminate simultaneous and uncoordinated moderating.  Or summat..:wacko:

• Upvote 1

My deleted post said something to the effect of:

"I had forgottten her head bashing. She never did it to me but there were several I know of suffered the indignity. Nowadays she would be done for assault."

No. Chance.  I couldn't coordinate an inebriation session in a beer making establishment

I was in the tryst bar one night when vera called time as we all trooped out she stood at the exit and one poor soul was only trying to get out with one of the bar stools under his coat Why i never knew but she clobbered him and he suffered the full wrath of her extensive vocabulary and was ejected in spectacular fashion meeowed

• Like 1

I've related stories about Vera/Veronica to numerous people and the majority of them think I'm making it all up. It's good to get some confirmation of what she was really like.:)

• Like 1

One pub I really do miss is the Wheatsheaf at the bottom of bobbers Mill bridge. It was my local for yonks and I adored it. It had, at one time, a reggae night on a Saturday, which I love. I recall fondly, playing on the walls when my parents wend down there on a summer evening. I used to work at the Co Op warehouse over the road at Ascot Road and recall working Christmas eve and the works party was there. Admin girls who admired me from afar were not afar for long! 

I too have fond memories of the place, M.D.  I can recall the swings next to the outside loos in the car park at the side. They may have been gone by your time. Mum and dad would sometimes go there on a Saturday evening if they weren't going into town to Coleman's, dancing. 

One would see friends from school sitting outside with their parents, enjoying a lemonade. Nowadays, they'd be overcome by exhaust fumes from the traffic!  Life was slower then.

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, mercurydancer said:

One pub I really do miss is the Wheatsheaf at the bottom of bobbers Mill bridge. 

7 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I too have fond memories of the place, M.D.  

Not sure if I've ever posted this before. The early Wheatsheaf, the version before the one which later became McDonalds.

ouRl3uQ.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I too have fond memories of the place, M.D.  I can recall the swings next to the outside loos in the car park at the side. They may have been gone by your time. Mum and dad would sometimes go there on a Saturday evening if they weren't going into town to Coleman's, dancing. 

One would see friends from school sitting outside with their parents, enjoying a lemonade. Nowadays, they'd be overcome by exhaust fumes from the traffic!  Life was slower then.

I can remember the swings but not the outside loos! 

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I love that double bay-windowed house in the foreground, CT, but don't remember it being there when I was a child. Anyone know who lived there? Presumably, it's railway-related.

Looking at old maps, it's always marked as being part of Bobbers Mill (which is the building in the far right corner) so I'd guess it was the mill manager's place.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2019 at 7:11 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I love that double bay-windowed house in the foreground, CT, but don't remember it being there when I was a child. Anyone know who lived there? Presumably, it's railway-related.

I seem to remember that the new build of the Wheatsheaf (I mean in the 1930s of after!) did incorporate that part of the pub. That was the original front of the pub, and that entrance was bricked up and became the gents toilet. The new build is the facade we see now as McDonalds and the entrance and front beer garden was at right angles, which we both know with great affection. I think it has always been a pub. 

Wheatsheaf 1937 "New version" with new road and bridge over railway 1937, presumably rebuilt to face the new road;

emDcoPt.png

And the bay windowed house definitely looks to be part of the Mill (1931), new bridge not yet open;

IuJKPql.png

• Like 2