Nottingham pubs you really miss

Your first photo is the most informative, it shows from above what the Wheatsheaf looks like now and in the right orientation, ie straight up Aspley Lane. 

The house you marked in the second photo is on the other side of the railway line. You can just see the foot bridge in the bottom right, where the level crossing is. (Chap on a bicycle marks the spot) The house you marked is not the Wheatsheaf and I recall it from my childhood. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

10 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

The house you marked is not the Wheatsheaf and I recall it from my childhood. 

I wasn't suggesting that it was, it was in response to  Jill Sparrow / Cliff Ton's comments about it maybe  belonging to the Mill.

The second photo gives a much better view of the situation of the house and one I hadn't seen previously.

It was certainly gone by my time. A shame because it's a good building and they don't make them like that any more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 6:59 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

One would see friends from school sitting outside with their parents, enjoying a lemonade. Nowadays, they'd be overcome by exhaust fumes from the traffic!

No Jill, nowadays they would be in the pub with their parents knocking back vodka and red bull or running riot knocking folks food off the table.

What has gone on?? Where oh!! where has 

ONE OF BEST WELL KNOWN PUBS EVER Only to be replaced by The Slug and Lettuce WHAT AN INSULT   YES!!! you have guess it 

"""YATES""  Wine Lodge   

My first visit  to Yates was when i first started work and our boss took us downstairs for a Christmas meal.. 

There must have a name better the The Slug and Lettuce.

What an insult.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

The Slug and Lettuce WHAT AN INSULT   YES!!! you have guess it 

"""YATES""  Wine Lodge 

Exactly the same here in Wolverhampton Mary. The building here hasn't got the history as with the Nottm 'Yates Wine Lodge'. This one was originally a theatre, called 'The Empire Palace Theatre' it had some interesting architecture though, but nothing to compare with the grand buildings around Market Square.

'Slug and Lettuce' What an insult...........Agreed!!!!!!

The taking over of Yates Wine Lodges by the Slug and Lettuce must be country wide, the one in Newcastle has changed sometime in the last 2 months. The name is rather off putting, there is one in York which is decorated twenties style rather posh !!!!

On 11/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, mercurydancer said:

The Plough in Radford is still one of my favourites. I will be in tomorrow! The beers are fantastic, as the brewery is in the car park. Try the EPA. 

Further afield is Dixies at Bagthrorpe, a real proper pub. I adore it

YES

if any of our members has never been to Dixies  then go you will not be disappointed

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2009 at 9:31 PM, rockinbaz42 said:

The Flying Horse was all about redevelopment. Some property development firm came in and told the council what it would like to do with the premises at what they called a fair ground rent and rates, as they were called then. The Flying Horse owners could'nt compete with what the other firm was prepared to pay and the rest is history. Now the shops in the same spot are the most expensive in Nottingham. All the decent pubs in Nottingham have gone and been replaced with dumps. The worst thing they did was to start making them eating houses with bars. The serious pub user was driven away by kids running riot. The breweries and landlords were'nt bothered as they were making fat profits from the extortionate price of soft drinks and snacks. Then came the killer blow. The smoking ban. Now there ain't a decent pub in Nottingham, unless of course you want to buy drugs.

I was Landlord at the Thurland Hall, the time when the Flying Horse closed. One of my customers was a prominent Councillor - head of the Planning Committee, long dead now, Bless him. He told me in confidence that "large thick brown envelopes had changed hands amongst the Council from the property developers".- ALLEGEDLY.  Then the Flying Horse became the White Elephant of Nottingham, It's picked up a bit now, but the old Flying Horse was very profitable - the Manager used to drink in the Thurland, and he said it was taking over a million a month, way back then c.1987. He was baffled as to why it was sold. There was a circuit then at lunchtime. Start at the Bodega, then the Thurland, Corn Exchange, Lion, Corner Pin, Coach & Horses, Blue Bell, Turf Tavern, down to Flying Horse, Dog & Bear, Fountain, then collapse. There was a big crowd of businessmen in that clique, who used to all drink together and/or meet along the circuit and also some would drop out along the way. Happy Days.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I also see no photos, all I get 3 lines of random letters a bit like when Albert & the bloke up Jockland posts his stuff. I never knew the Dog & Bear if we are talking Bridlesmithgate was demolished? Thought it had been there & still is since 1870 odd, I would love to see these signs with it being my pub of choice in the late 80s early 90s until it closed. 

On 4/29/2020 at 9:39 PM, Beekay said:

Screenshot-20200429-213435-Chrome.jpg

This is how comes out on my tablet, Catfan. Just 3 no entry symbols and your text.

Strange that, can see on my PC, Tablet & Phone ok. ?

Well done that man! Award yourself 10 house points and stick a gold star in your jotter.

Thank v.much for coming to my aid. englandflag

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

When pubs eventually reopen it'll be interesting to see how busy - or not - they will be.

How comfortable will people be about going back into a relatively confined, closed space surrounded by strangers ?