Nottingham pubs you really miss

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I know the chap who owns the Blue Monkey brewery but I don't drink his beers even though some are prize-winning. I can't bring  myself to pay £4 a pint for beer that's brewed from tap water in stainless steel tanks in a 'chemical factory' in Giltbrook! Perhaps all breweries are like that now. I like to think that craft beers are made in wooden vats from springwater and stirred by burly brewers in leather aprons! It was like that when I went round Bateman's 20 years ago and certainly at Shipstones in the 60's. They add chemicals to 'Burtonise' the tap water.

I haven’t found a blue monkey beer that I like. All those I’ve tried I didn’t enjoy at all. Last time I went in you’re local Phil, that’s all they had on.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

• 9 months later...

If memory serves me correct. The last pubs I went in before I emigrated to Sussex, was, "The Blenheim, where I worked and the Nelson on Crabtree. Neither are open now. Did work at the 'Bull' on Cinderhill Road. Of course I've since been in the Wheelhouse, when attending meet ups. My local when single was the 'Midland Hotel, opposite Triumph Road. Think that's a Chinese now.

16 hours ago, lauraholmesgr said:

The Bendigo

The Dale

The Jester 

Ginger Tom

The Greenwood Tree

The Oakdale

Hi Welcome to nottslagia from your list of pubs you must have lived some where Sneinton Dale?     Did you go to Manvers when it was just a boy's school? 

Ey up Laura......knew your area quite well from the 60s to the 80s..Courted a girl in the 60s who lived off the far end of Oakdale road Southchurch..........used to catch the 59 or number 3 from the side of the council house in town....to get there..........

Favourite Pub was the ''Elwes Arms'' then further back down Oakdale the ''Tally-ho''

In the 80s had some very good friends who ran the Paper shop'' on Sneinton Dale ..Gary and Sharon...........they left to live in Spain late 80s.....Had a few other old pals and relations who lived down the ''Dale'' including a great character ''Tommy Deans'' ex Notts county footballer.......depending on your age you may recall some of my memories of your area........welcome to Nottstalgia......

• 2 months later...
On 6/20/2010 at 12:27 AM, Owdtite said:

For me it has to be the "King Billy" in Bulwell...good night out for 10 bob and straight into Sando's fish and chip shop after for pie and chips, plenty of salt and vinegar mind!!!

Owdtite...!

King billy , mind is abit hazy ,what street was that on is bulwell ? Used to frequent the jockey alot in the 70,s 80,s 

There was the Royal oak too i remember , and one top of Squires avenue and turn left as if you were entering bulwell hall park , maybe called the park tavern ?

The old 55 bus terminus. To Bracebridge drive via Bells Lane, Strelley Road and Wigman Road.   B.

• 1 month later...

I agree. The news item on WB Wire shows what is almost a random photo of somewhere in Sneinton. The people who write those things don't have any local knowledge.

Having said that, they are still better than (not as bad as) the NEP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

See the source imageThe Bodega in 1963......when it was a real grimy old place.....but never to be forgotten.........down a dinghy alley...up some old back stairs past some smelly old toilets.....open the door to be hit with great music in a dimly lit Bar.........

My heart went boom when i crossed that room....and i saw her standing there........

Followed by 5 magic years.....

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

There was a pub called 'The Gate Hangs Well' which was almost alongside the Trip to Jerusalem, but it was demolished in the early 1900s. Otherwise I don't think there's ever been anything across the road from The Trip.

There is still a 'Cross Keys' today at Fletcher Gate/Byard Lane.   https://goo.gl/maps/SnJc5USJk1qVm7ws7