Nottingham pubs you really miss

Both The Old Volunteer at Caythorpe, and The Marquis (Of Granby) are no longer pubs.

Its been a month or two since I drove through Caythorpe, but last time I did, all the fencing that was used during The Vols refurb, was still there, and a business for sale sign was still there, due to no one being brave enough to take it on in this shaky financial time.

I started goung in there in the70's with various girlfriends of the day, it was a great village pub that got crowded just about every night.

The Marquis was also on that "run", along with The Reindeer which is still there, thats now a private dining place, with b&b last time I looked, again a very popular out of town village pub that attracted lots of visitors,

I recall many years ago having a date with a young lady from the 6th form of a private school that I gigged at years later, and taking her in there one lunchtime, and, knowing what was going to happen later, went to the gents to pickapackofthree, and the machine making such a row when the coins were fed in, that everyone standing around outside the loo door heard it and knew exactly what Id be doing later!

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just miss all "Pubs" the music - sing-songs- good night out with friends - dancing on tables- people being drunk (just happy drunk) at least if you joined in the singing and if you did not have a si

I must admit that even though I'm from Mong Eaton, Nottingham was always my town for drinking. I worked at Butlins Minehead from 1979 to 1983 and my best mate Jake's from Portsmouth. In about 1981 a g

Only just discovered this wonderful site. At the end of the 70s I lived in bed sit land better known as Mapperley Park, on Magdala Road and used The New Inn virtually every night of the week. A great

Posted Images

I'm rather surprised that no-one's mentioned the "other" pub on that route, Craig, the Elm Tree hotel. Now an old folks home but it was a very popular night-spot up till the mid80's, had my stag night there back in 1984. If the Southwell lot and the Lowdham lot were both in there a scrap was guaranteed, a prime reason for its demise.

Further up the river, the Star and Garter at Hazelford Ferry has suffered the same fate as the Elm Tree, another "God's Waiting Room". That was a popular bikers' venue for a short while.

• 1 month later...
I'm really surprised at the news about the Marquis, Craig. I often take a walk which takes in Hoveringham and have used the two pubs quite a bit along the way, (though the Reindeer invariably gets my vote). There seemed to have been a lot of money spent on the Marquis which adds to my surprise. I have to say though, and the pub is hardly on it's own in this respect, .I could never find the place open when passing by. Country pubs like that I tend to give up on and I'm sure others do in favour of somewhere they know will be open on visiting.

Sorry to butt in, but seeing as you're having this conversation, does anyone still frequent The Pelican on Bracebridge drive in Bilborough?

Before emigrating I worked there to try and make a little extra spending money for a couple of years in the early sixties, but have been told by friends that it is a druggie den now, and really gone to the dogs...is this true folks?

Georgygirl.

MGRead........

Albany Hotel.........worked on the site (lagging pipes for Kitsons) I remember a tower crane collapsed on the opposite side of the road, we worked in the corridors of the Albany with blocks of Polystyrene for 'scaffold'!!! There was a guy used to walk around all day banging a tin, & singing 'here come de judge!!!' Lots of Poly blocks were ste alight, tons of black smoke, & some early days............ !clapping!

• 2 months later...

Re Blue Ball the only Blue Ball I remember is where Risley Park pub is now that,was the blue ball where Stapleford band used to play and Gill Ball used to sing along with guest singer Sylvia Gaynor

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly on topic - but I miss it 'cause I can't be there very often! Anyhow I spotted this Poacher article on the NEP website!

The Pelican on Bracebridge drive in Bilborough?

Georgygirl.

Yep you're not wrong it IS a Druggie den now....terrible place. ( mind you the estate around it is heading the same way. )

I used to go in there in the early 70s, nice pub then, full of characters mainly from the old Wollaton colliery, I used to listen to their old tales of pit life and never tire of them, also remember the one armed barman in the public bar named Roy, really nice bloke seemed to know what every one wanted before they told him.It's a shame if it's gone the way you say a bit like the Nelson in Bulwell and the Beacon in Aspley

Rog

MGRead........

Albany Hotel.........worked on the site (lagging pipes for Kitsons) I remember a tower crane collapsed on the opposite side of the road, we worked in the corridors of the Albany with blocks of Polystyrene for 'scaffold'!!! There was a guy used to walk around all day banging a tin, & singing 'here come de judge!!!' Lots of Poly blocks were ste alight, tons of black smoke, & some early days............ clapping.gif

sorry paulus missed this one, dont spend a lot of time on the web during the light nights. the judge was one of the brickies, short stocky bloke with a beard, he also made the woodpecker song famous throughout the site, you remember "woodpecker woodpecker yeah yeah yes i would"

mg

sorry paulus missed this one, dont spend a lot of time on the web during the light nights. the judge was one of the brickies, short stocky bloke with a beard, he also made the woodpecker song famous throughout the site, you remember "woodpecker woodpecker yeah yeah yes i would"

mg

Yes,that was him, it all got a bit monotomous day after day, we used to joke about him falling (or being pushed) down a lift shaft!! Anyroadup, it's great to reminisce about the old days, wonder what happened to 'the judge', is he still singing? I sincerely hope so !rotfl!

• 5 months later...

Anyone remember what "the other" pub on Bottle Lane was called? I think it was a Home's house and a few doors up from the Queen Elizabeth. I'm pretty sure it was double-fronted with ground floor bay windows, but that could be my memory playing tricks. Had the feel of a local rather than a city centre pub.

Hello, Welcome.

Do you mean Queen Elizabeth (QE)

Mentioned elswhere here.

AFAIK the only other licenced premises were the Ariba Club, and there was some kind of club on the left at the bottom

going down. Was at celler level perhaps, and the outside had glass bricks. name of place escapes me?

I used to go in there in the early 70s, nice pub then, full of characters mainly from the old Wollaton colliery, I used to listen to their old tales of pit life and never tire of them, also remember the one armed barman in the public bar named Roy, really nice bloke seemed to know what every one wanted before they told him.It's a shame if it's gone the way you say a bit like the Nelson in Bulwell and the Beacon in Aspley

Rog

tttt the nelson at bulwell has now been knocked down

I'm rather surprised that no-one's mentioned the "other" pub on that route, Craig, the Elm Tree hotel. Now an old folks home but it was a very popular night-spot up till the mid80's, had my stag night there back in 1984. If the Southwell lot and the Lowdham lot were both in there a scrap was guaranteed, a prime reason for its demise.

Further up the river, the Star and Garter at Hazelford Ferry has suffered the same fate as the Elm Tree, another "God's Waiting Room". That was a popular bikers' venue for a short while.

The Elm Tree at Hoveringham is a private residence not an old peoples home.

Ayup Mark and Welcome

I don't remember one with a well on Market street but I do remember the Nelson at the top of Hockley opening up their old one (We even got a visit down in the cellar of the pub to view it a bit closer once , didn't we Mick ???)