• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry TBI. I really don’t understand why the system was junked - unless it was to bring “ equality”, meaning mediocrity, to every kid. We are NOT equally academically gifted, and thank God. I went to

I think the difference between Grammar and secondary education was vast,,, Qualifications GCEs etc were hardly in our vocabulary at Padstow............i soon realised after a visit from the ''Youth Em

I for one loved school.  Grew up on a Council Estate, passed the 11+ and went to Grammar School.  Not a perfect school but always grateful for a good education.  Both my Mum and Dad passed to go to Gr

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
Any other ex-Mellish on here? I was there between 1982-1987

Dave

Yep...Mellish here too...when it were an all boys grammar school....was there 69 to 72....seems its being closed next year fer good...theres a 2 day reunion next year too for any ex

Kev.

Yep...Mellish here too...when it were an all boys grammar school....was there 69 to 72....seems its being closed next year fer good...theres a 2 day reunion next year too for any ex

Kev.

Welcome Dave and Fynger.

My Father in law (Now deceased) taught physics there. Retired around 1975 if I remember rightly. Bob McCandless. You may remember him. Hope he wasn't too hard on you.

He would have been sad to hear of it being closed. He was there a lot of years.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Hey ya'll too!

I remember the name Bonsall but don't think I ever met him. Only other teacher I met there was Boddy who taught woodwork I believe. Why did the powers that be decide to close it? Always thought it was a school with a pretty good reputation.

Dave

• 4 years later...

i was there from 77-82, it looks like i missed you all, by a couple of years before and after! i went to the open day on the last ever day it was open. was nice to see the rooms with all sorts of memorabilia from over the years.

especially this-

nv8aht.jpg

yep, thats my name in the middle there!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Going into Nottingham from Bulwell this am I wasn't the only one to give a gasp of shock at the site of Henry Mellish School on Highbury Rd. Sorry 'Old Mellonians' but your old school is now a heap of rubble! My daughter was in the first intake of girls when it went co-ed around 1968 ?

Sorry Fynger, yes the lots gone and sorry again I mixed up my 2 daughters birthdates! it was probably 1977 when the girls arrived.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Sorry Fynger, yes the lots gone and sorry again I mixed up my 2 daughters birthdates! it was probably 1977 when the girls arrived.

Girls finally turned up in the 74/75 academic year of new intakes. This was also the 1st year of fully comprehensive intake after the eleven plus was completely phased out in Notts. This meant 45 eleven year old girls from Bulwell in a school of 500 grammar school boys from around the rest of the county. Must have been very frightening.

• Upvote 1

yeah i was going to say the girls arrived in 74, i actually am almost neighbours (she is one house along, over the back) with somebody who was in that first intake of girls.

and enigma's photo, even though i've been by a couple of times is quite a shock to see.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at mellish from 68 to 75 and also remember Danny Mac although I think he retired before 1975 as Ena Bonsall was already head of Physics by 1972.

Other notable teachers were Bates the mild mannered metal work teacher who we delighted in addressing formally as Master Bates and the unfortunately named mad maths teacher Mr Bottoms whose initials incredibly were "R.C." just in case we needed any help in remembering his nickname

• 3 months later...

Welcome Dave and Fynger.

My Father in law (Now deceased) taught physics there. Retired around 1975 if I remember rightly. Bob McCandless. You may remember him. Hope he wasn't too hard on you.

He would have been sad to hear of it being closed. He was there a lot of years.

Dave

I remember him I was there from 64 to 70.

Any of you Mellish boys remember an Irishman called Mr Murrell (or Morrell) who taught English in the early 60's? He left Mellish around 1967 to teach at Carlton-le-Willows Grammar. He lives close to me and I see him virtually every day striding along the road carrying bags of paraphernalia that he's usually picked up in charity shops. What's amazing is that he's now 95 or 96 and is still very upright, active and alert.

• Upvote 1