• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry TBI. I really don’t understand why the system was junked - unless it was to bring “ equality”, meaning mediocrity, to every kid. We are NOT equally academically gifted, and thank God. I went to

I think the difference between Grammar and secondary education was vast,,, Qualifications GCEs etc were hardly in our vocabulary at Padstow............i soon realised after a visit from the ''Youth Em

I for one loved school.  Grew up on a Council Estate, passed the 11+ and went to Grammar School.  Not a perfect school but always grateful for a good education.  Both my Mum and Dad passed to go to Gr

Posted Images

I was McEwen too, 1963 onwards. The others, Baulk, yellow; Buckley, blue and Bailey? green. I'm sure you're right about the historical origins, something that I never concerned myself with and I can't recall that it was ever drilled into us at the time.

The change of name came during my time there. I suppose Red, Blue, Green and Yellow were a bit mundane but apart from McEwen I thought the others were a bit alliterative and could have been better chosen! I always wanted to be in Red, my favourite colour, so my wish came true!

On reflection, Green may even have been Barber, still alliterative but shows how indifferent I was to the 'house' system. Although I do recall Puff Latchford-history master, giving me a dressing down for sciving off a house rugby match. Rugby shirts were also banded with house colour, but reversible to all black so that scratch teams of various houses could be made up if necessary.

Ah rugby. Fist team players were awarded school colours and could wear a green blazer. I was school cross country champion, ran for the County and was awarded County colours for athletics but was never given school colours. I still bear a grudge about that to this day! If you didn’t succeed at rugger you were nothing. I hated the stupid game.

I too was in Mcewan house, never did understand the reason for the houses but they were there and that was that. As far as rugby went it wasn't a bad house to be in as not many were interested so competition was less. The lad who died was David Wood. He got a kick on the back of the head in a scrum that proved fatal. One injury of that nature is one too many but allowing for the number of players involved over a week injuries were very low. Having said that my mother could never understand why I could come home covered in bruises and cuts still claiming I had enjoyed myself but the fact was that I had. It was a tough game but only as rough as you made it. Playing for the school also had its advantages when games against other schools were played mid week, double maths was well worth missing.

Must have been either '65 or '66. I know he was a couple of years behind me and I left in '67. Can't remember if it happened in a school match or a routine games period but it certainly was a chilling feeling when it happened.

• 3 months later...

Was at Henry Mellish from 69 to 71. I was in Bulkeley house. I was looking through my cupboards the other week and found my old rugby shirt and school scarf. I  can still remember some of my teachers some of them with fonder memories than others.

• 4 months later...

In 1950  some of the mellish staff were Mr Houston head) T E Smith (english) `Froggy Marshall (french)`Boddy(woodwork) Newitt Clark Swaby George Edward Goodall (maths&Magistrate!) Moaner Jones (french &singing) Evans (art)  The school was affected by mine subsidence so you didn`t lean on the wall when the punishment parade occurred (outside the staff room at playtime) for fear of it falling  ---there was a 2"gap in it! I finally escaped in Jan 1952---forgot all I had learnt--and made a successful career in phones and mining communications . Terry (ex international sidecar racer)

You were at Mellish the same time as my big brother.  He was 16 in 1952.  His name was Michael Horey

43 minutes ago, MargieH said:

You were at Mellish the same time as my big brother.  He was 16 in 1952.  His name was Michael Horey

Margie   remember Mick Horey  am sourcing the school pikky for the date  will post when found   Terry

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Me step mom got rid of all of 'our ' family photos. Even the one's of my grandparents wedding, didn't ask, just dumped everything when my father died!!

The best bit, she had the house on the market before dad was planted!!. There's loads more, but it's in the past .. Nowt i can do now, but get on with my own life.When

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2012 at 9:38 PM, Donnyred said:

I was there from 64 to 70. I remember " Danny Mac" Alan Hindle et al.

Please can you remember who the head boys were in 1965 to 1970? We used to do ballroom dancing with you boys when I was Manning.

• 3 months later...

I noticed the other day that back copies of the Mellish magazine The Centaur are now available to download from the Henry Mellish site. By selecting the appropriate year you can, 

1 Be reminded of the names of the lads who were in your year but more particularly in your form. Names stirring memories but regrettably not faces.

2 See which O levels your class mates obtained.

3 See who stayed on into the 5th.

Fascinating!.

I knocked about with my best mate from the Mellish for several years after school finished but eventually he started courting, we drifted apart and I have not seen him since. Having said that I moved North and have not seen any body else from the Mellish since the day I left. 

16 minutes ago, Geoffrey Dennis said:

Having said that I moved North and have not seen any body else from the Mellish since the day I left. 

Are you on Facebook ?   I  know some people will run screaming from the room or throw things at their computer when the subject is mentioned, but bear with me.........

I didn't go to Mellish, but like you, I lost contact with almost everyone I knew from my school days. However, there are several Groups and Pages on FB which are dedicated to the places I lived and schools I attended in my younger days. In the last couple of years I've had contact with a great number of people I hadn't seen or spoken to for 40+ years.

• Like 1

Thanks Cliff Ton, the short answer is No.I came across the nottstalgia site by accident via the Henry Mellish website and hoped with its local pedigree, it would enable me to make contact with local ex Mellish pupils. It did not. The nearest I got was philmayfield  who had a form mate who lived down our street but whom phil had not seen since they had left school. Whilst nottstalgia has many other diverse qualities,it would seem that if its renewing acquaintances, then Facebook is the way to go.