the one time he told me off was for turning down an apprenticeship with pye telecom salary was £2800.00 per year

was sad to see the building gone  missed the reunions as didnt join  in time 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry TBI. I really don’t understand why the system was junked - unless it was to bring “ equality”, meaning mediocrity, to every kid. We are NOT equally academically gifted, and thank God. I went to

I think the difference between Grammar and secondary education was vast,,, Qualifications GCEs etc were hardly in our vocabulary at Padstow............i soon realised after a visit from the ''Youth Em

Never intended.........Digging owt,,Mending owt,,Making owt,,Screwing owt,, or anything Physical really,,      So along with having no Educational Qualifications things didn't look too promising......

Posted Images

used to be advertised on a website friends reunited  that has gone

didnt want to work went to colleges near the seaside took a marine radio course and radar maintenance as nottingham where i lived is long way from sea 

I went to the closing ceremony. Met a few old friends. I was sorry to see the demolition of a fine building. It went down the pan when it became a sports college and went into special measures. An absolute disgrace.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 7:08 PM, philmayfield said:

I went to the closing ceremony. Met a few old friends. I was sorry to see the demolition of a fine building. It went down the pan when it became a sports college and went into special measures. An absolute disgrace.

i wonder if there is anyone around from my years??? 

Those who let the place deteriorate from what it was should hang their heads in shame and at the same time receive one almighty kick up the backside. If that is the way they think things should be run we are in a downwards spiral.

It was all to do with the abolishment of grammar schools by the local authority. It became a co-ed comprehensive and I believe it changed its catchment area to its own locality. It then went even further downhill when it became a ‘sports college’. It was ultimately put into ‘special measures’. The headmaster I spoke to at the closing down ceremony was a PT guy who had been there for some years and I believe had replaced Fred Sutherland. The old headmaster, George Houston, MA Oxon. would have been turning in his grave. An institution of academic excellence becoming a failing sports’ college. It was sad to walk round and see what it had become. The ultimate indignity was to see such a fine building razed to the ground.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Just come across the program for the South Notts, Seven-A-Side competition (1971) under 14 age group.

Henry Mellish; (from) Akers, Cullen, Gilbert, Fulford, Chambers, Wilson, King & Reed. 

Other teams were, High Pavement, Cottesmore, Fairham, W Bridgford H.S., Arnold H.S., Rushcliffe Comp & Keyworth.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there between 1964 and 1969 after attending the British School in Arnold

First form master was R C Bottoms - deadly throwing the board rubber

"Teachers" ? I remember were  Jed Strutt, Mr Marshall,Piggy Hutchinson, Bonsall, Jim Spolton,Vic Gladwin and Bertie Done

Most were borderline pscychos but sure new how to control a class of 30, 15 year old lads and some of what they taught must have rubbed off.

Classmates I can remember are

Paul Worrall,Paul Fletcher,Stuart Schofield,Rog Hart, Chris Weedon, Alan Litchfield,Steve Smith, Paul Greenaway

• 4 weeks later...

Have been reviewing some of the topics on the Mellish site and comments from Stan The Jockey have me confused. On June 10 2020 he says he was quick on his toes and never got hit, whilst on November 11 2016 he says he was on the School Playing Fields and was hit on the chest every 15 seconds over a period of 10 minutes! Clarification please Stan.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Geoffrey. Well spotted. I was hit that day on the Playing Field. I’d forgotten about that little runt.

Otherwise I managed to avoid problems every day for seven years in the classrooms, corridors, yards, buses, trolley buses, Nottingham City Centre, Highbury Vale, toilets, canteen, City Ground, Trent Bridge, Beeston Square, local recs, cross country route, barbers, gym, vestibule and hall.

At least problem avoidance gave me an interest to focus on. It was a full time hobby!

• 3 months later...

Anyone remember me, Mr Sharpe? I taught Music at the Mellish from 1970 to 1973. My greatest memory is having the privilege to conduct  the School Choir, comprising 90 boys in ‘How Lovely are the Dwellings’ from Brahms Requiem. David Wilson who I replaced as Master in charge of Music, played the organ. It was David who had built up the choir to an amazing standard, as he was a organist and choir master at St. Andrews church on Mansfield Road. We performed at the local C of E church in Bulwell.

The following year we did ‘Zadok the Priest’ which has a very high top F# for the trebles to start singing. Again, the choir was brilliant.

Good times. I enjoyed teaching at the school. I never came across any ‘difficult’ boys!

Welcome, Sharpee!

Your post reminded me of singing Zadok at The Manning School speech day in the Albert Hall.

Our music teacher was Mr Roy Abbey, also an organist (FRCO) and choir master.  I studied GCE music with him in the early 70s. Music was not regarded as an academic subject by the Manning hierarchy and funding was virtually nonexistent in that department.  Poor Mr Abbey had a pretty thin time of it when it came to resources.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Sharpee.

You may not get any immediate reply from people who remember you at Mellish, but it's something which can turn up after several weeks or months. When anyone does a general internet search for 'Henry Mellish" this forum will turn up in the results and will eventually lead to your post, so in six months time one of your former pupils might be replying.

David Wilson was my form tutor for about 3 years up to 1965 at Gedling Sec Mod. He taught us music and maths . 

Definitely the same one as my brother , who was a Mellish pupil ,  in the mid 50s remembers him playing piano in assembly whilst still a pupil.

He was a nice chap !

Terrible photo but he's far left in this pic taken on the school playing field.9724521364_2b939511c7.jpg