Welbeck Abbey and its subterranean tunnels

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1960 Inside the tunnel

According to this 1907 article , there were 11 miles of tunnels !! From the bit I have read (and I may be wrong) but the tunnels were built in trenches with brick arches and then the brickwork covered

I was a student at Welbeck College from 1965 to 1967. Like many before and after me many hours were spent exploring all the tunnels in the estate. Most memorable was the large tunnel leading from the

So, basically, all SUBTERRANEAN tunnels are beneath the ground, but not all tunnels are subterranean - some being only "sub aqua" or simply tubes. I'd slightly take issue with excluding cut and cover tunnels - if you put the muck (or some of it) back on top after you've finished roofing over the cutting, it becomes subterranean - innit?

Just purchased this today of Loughborough bric-a-brac market.

The Enigmatic Fifth Duke of Portland.

By Derek Adlam

Published by The Harley Gallery in 2002.

not had chance to read much yet but looks interesting.

P.S. it was expensive it cost me 50p

• 1 month later...
hellothere I do apologise for jumping in on this thread, I've read through it a few times as I have a keen interest in the tunnels at the Welbeck estate. I am from Worksop and run a paranormal investigation group. I have approached Welbeck Estates a couple of times to try and get permission to investigate the abbey and tunnels (without success) but I don't give up easy and am paying a visit there again in the next week or two!! (I'm hoping my pesistence will pay off!!) My team have just been given permission to do an investigation at The Ship in Worksop which folklore states, has a 'secret tunnel' which leads to Welbeck Abbey, how much of this is true I don't know. I've read about a group of you arranging to meet up to go to the tunnels, has this happened yet? Does anybody know anything about a tunnel supposedly running to The Ship? :-) any response would be greatly appreciated x

I doubt the existence of the tunnel you mention...there are many similar stories with regard to the Nottingham caves,mostly disproved.The Fifth Duke of Portland was a right nutter when it came to tunnels, but I don't think even he had a secret one built so he could sneak out for a crafty pint. :biggrin: I hope I'm wrong,it would be a nice find for you.At least when the eccentric Duke was alive he provided jobs for thousands of workmen...we could do with him today.

• Upvote 1

There's a similar story about a tunnel from The Hutt public house on the A60 at Ravenshead leading up to Newstead Abbey, That's a distance of almost two miles, something to do with the monks using it. It's on the potted history on the pub's menu's if I recall. I doubt that's true either!

'A tunnel leading from the Hutt to Newstead Abbey was used during the late 17th Century and it is said that it is still haunted by the ghost of a monk who travelled through the tunnel before being chained to a wall and left to perish!'

http://www.ashfield-...E7AD63C9B2AC135

'King John also stayed here in The Hutt’s early years – and the inn boasts an underground tunnel reputedly used by monks to get from Newstead Abbey to their favourite watering hole.'

http://www.thisisnot...tail/story.html

'There is a blocked off tunnel, built by the monks, a mile long, which stretches from the Abbey to the pub.'

http://www.pub-explo...travenshead.htm

• 2 weeks later...

hellothere I do apologise for jumping in on this thread, I've read through it a few times as I have a keen interest in the tunnels at the Welbeck estate. I am from Worksop and run a paranormal investigation group. I have approached Welbeck Estates a couple of times to try and get permission to investigate the abbey and tunnels (without success) but I don't give up easy and am paying a visit there again in the next week or two!! (I'm hoping my pesistence will pay off!!) My team have just been given permission to do an investigation at The Ship in Worksop which folklore states, has a 'secret tunnel' which leads to Welbeck Abbey, how much of this is true I don't know. I've read about a group of you arranging to meet up to go to the tunnels, has this happened yet? Does anybody know anything about a tunnel supposedly running to The Ship? :-) any response would be greatly appreciated x

Hi

I think hell will freeze over first before the staff at Welbeck will allow you to wonder off the footpath and into the tunnels, but good luck all the same. Some are crumbling and quite dangerous. I've been down most and didn't realize until later that they were off limits. Welbeck staff patrol round the estate with gamekeepers shotgun n all so not a place to start wondering around without consequences if discovered. I can tell you there is no tunnel leading off the estate to Worksop. The nearest tunnel to Worksop is next to Tunnel End Lodge, I think it's called, opposite South Lodge on the OS map of the area (SK 568 753). Maps from the 1800s show all early tunnels and cuttings which show no such tunnels to Worksop. When the Worksop bypass (A57) was constructed in 1984 a large cutting was cut out of the land between Worksop and Welbeck which is much deeper than any of the tunnels on Welbeck Estate. The bypass forms a barrier between Worksop and the Welbeck estate. When the planning was carried out for the Worksop bypass route the survey would have revealed all and any structures under the proposed route. This would have revealed any hidden tunnel, non were found. Feel free to message me for more detail. You could always go on one of the guided tours of Welbeck which I'm sure you would enjoy. Tickets go on sale approx Jan 2013. I must admit that I find your paranormal investigation group quite interesting and would love to be proved wrong if you did indeed find something of interest at the Old Ship Inn.

Welcome Susan.

I would maybe remove your email address from your post as it can be picked up by unscrupulous people, internet 'robots' etc.

Looking at the previous post to your initial one it looks to be very difficult to visit those tunnels.

Hello i have been reading this thread for some time know ive always been interested in the tunnels.

I would like to go in them by any means i have worked security on the Welbeck estate and have met the owner and they are not very inviting when it comes to the tunnels. let me know if any one has any suggestions on how to go on. also would be up for the ship pub investigation.

Welcome Susan.

I would maybe remove your email address from your post as it can be picked up by unscrupulous people, internet 'robots' etc.

Looking at the previous post to your initial one it looks to be very difficult to visit those tunnels.

I would if I could - advise please?

• 1 month later...

I was a student at Welbeck College from 1965 to 1967. Like many before and after me many hours were spent exploring all the tunnels in the estate. Most memorable was the large tunnel leading from the college in the direction of Worksop. At the college end was a large storeroom where seed potatoes were stored. There was a railway line running downhill and we used to ride a simple trolley. Great fun in the pitch dark! All along the tunnel walls were wooden boards with numbers painted on. We understood that these were to identify ammunition stored there in WW2. The tunnel up the main drive on the RHS was also interesting. At the top end is the riding school which was used by Batchelors foods to store various foof items. We also explored some deeper tunnels which appeared to be for drainage purposes although dry at that time. One very long one went under the sports field to the cricket pavilion. The underground corridors were used to access storage rooms, classrooms and to access some dormitories. The main route had a railway track which we understood was for wheeling food from the kitchens to the state rooms for large banquets.At the bottom of one of the stone spiral stairs was a grille in the wall. We understood that on the other side was another top security room. The story goes that this was where gold plate was stored and that if the grille was obscured, resulting in an inrease of air pressure, the police would be on site in a matter of minutes! The underground ballroom was used as a gym although occasionally the Duke would use it for private functions. I remember once that a concert by the renowned classical guitarist ???? Williams was held. We could not access the state rooms officially but climbing the lift shaft gave some interesting opportunities!! Hope this is of interest to those of you interested in the subject.

• Upvote 2