Welbeck Abbey and its subterranean tunnels

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1960 Inside the tunnel

According to this 1907 article , there were 11 miles of tunnels !! From the bit I have read (and I may be wrong) but the tunnels were built in trenches with brick arches and then the brickwork covered

I was a student at Welbeck College from 1965 to 1967. Like many before and after me many hours were spent exploring all the tunnels in the estate. Most memorable was the large tunnel leading from the

For anyone interested, if I recall correctly, the excellent Bill Bryson visits and talks about Welbeck Abbey in (I think) his book, Notes from a Small Island A man with a penchant for finding the more interesting and unusual on his travels.

Hey there guys!

I was interested to find this thread and learn a bit more about these tunnels. Last year I read a book called 'The Underground Man' by Mick Jackson which is based on an eccentric duke and his tunnels! Obviously he was aware of this story!

Also I was surprised to find that they were actually not too far from me. This has got me a little excited as I have always had an interest in historic buildings and 'secret' places where I shouldnt be! lol

I'm thinking about taking a trip over there sometime in the near future. Obviously I need to read a bit more and get planning out first! I would be very interested to hear from anyone who would like to persue their interest in this place and learn a bit more, going forward eventually try and get at least a few pictures and seeing whats so secret!

Regards!

Lee

Hey there guys!

I was interested to find this thread and learn a bit more about these tunnels. Last year I read a book called 'The Underground Man' by Mick Jackson which is based on an eccentric duke and his tunnels! Obviously he was aware of this story!

Also I was surprised to find that they were actually not too far from me. This has got me a little excited as I have always had an interest in historic buildings and 'secret' places where I shouldnt be! lol

I'm thinking about taking a trip over there sometime in the near future. Obviously I need to read a bit more and get planning out first! I would be very interested to hear from anyone who would like to persue their interest in this place and learn a bit more, going forward eventually try and get at least a few pictures and seeing whats so secret!

Regards!

Lee

Count me in !

Hi all

go to http://www.bing.com/maps/ and click on the OS or the birds eye views to see Welbeck Abbey. Google maps or Google Earth too. The tunnels are clearly visible. They are hidden from site on ground level but only by a few yards if you know where to look. Big enough for a horse and carriage, if you happen to have one lol.

http://location-coll...il.html?id=4649

http://location-coll...SearchText=4648

If anyone is interested I may be visiting the estate this weekend. I know this is short notice but I'm not working so have to grab what free time I have plus I live just down the road.

I've got some photos but have absolutely no idea how to put 1 or 2 on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Better still Come to the meet up.

7pm 2nd March, Bell Inn Market Square.

Hi

I was working late so never got chance to go to the Bell Inn, which is a shame really. Would have been great to meet everyone and share a few tales about the tunnels at welbeck and other tunnels in the area.

• 9 months later...

British Broadcasting Corporation, London, United Kingdom

Viewed this topic via www.google.co.uk — "welbeck abbey" ballroom" Image Search

At 21 Dec 17:01

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I attended Welbeck college in 1995/6ish and was really interested in the tunnels while I was there. We regularly used the sunken ballroom as it was our college gym, and some of our classrooms were in one of the sunken corridors. As a smoker (which wasn't allowed) we had to conceal our habit and used a couple of hidden spots to smoke, one of which happened to be the sunken/underground greenhouses. My dormitory was in the main part of the house but our lockers for cadet equipment and the college armory were in the small network of tunnels under the house itself - these were tunnels that had narrow-gauge rails sunk into the floor, no idea what they were for though. I've been into some of the larger tunnels that extend away from the main building but not all that many. I could still quite easily pick them out on a map or satelite pic.

I've got some pictures from my time there, most of which show the sunken garden/pool area but I would be more than happy to try and point people in the direction of where to find bits that I know about. I spent a lot of time while I was there roaming around the grounds doing ccf stuff or just generally exploring. It's really weird now seeing pics on http://location-collective.co.uk/location-detail.html?id=4649 of it all empty and spooky looking!!!

Cheers,

Captain Apathy.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually, no! A lot of tunnels, especially under rivers, etc. are really just tubes laying on the bottom of the river. There are also a lot of "cut & cover" tunnels - much of the "Circle & District" line on the London Underground was built that way!