Nottingham Chippies Good and Bad

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hilda's on Kirkewhite Street East was a great fish and chip shop,for as long as I can remember it was run by Hilda alone until her husband Joe retired and helped out,they lived in Beeston Rylands and

I often nip into Carringtons on Carrington Street after a Forest home game, I always have a child's portion of chips, normal battered sausage & curry sauce, in a tray & wooden fork.   

We always used to get fish and chips there when County were playing at home. As Dad was a driver at Trent Bridge we could leave his car there and walk to Meadow Lane after having a good feed.

Quite the opposite was the Wollaton Street Chippy (or was it 'Servery' ?).

Still goes down in my list as one of the best ever,,,, (& i've done my best to sample 'em all over the country)

I still recall the waitresess - never used a pad or anything to remember the orders,,,, they'd take the orders from say 4 tables in her head,,,, & deliver all to the right person (try asking a 'new' Bar person the price of TWO drinks - they can't tell ya until they use the till to add them up !!!!!!!)

Another great one was at Mablethorpe,,,, can't recall the name,,,, but is was on a side street in the town centre - always great year after year.

I don't know why - but to me - chippy's just arn't the same any more,,,,,,, maybe it was the taste of newspaper ink & writing on ya chips (?!?!)

Baz

PS: Bad un's ? Too many,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There was a chippy on Carlton Hill by the Nags Head , it was run by an old lady in those early days (Early 70s) and a portion consisted of about 10 pieces of grease , 3 lumps of charcoal and 4 chips.

Moving down Burton Road just after the Old Volunteer was Dimi's ( an ex Italian POW and his wife , who's wifes make up was put on with a builders trowel !! , passable chips though . The best by far (In our oppinion) was the Cafe down on Station Road (Near the Post Office) Proper 'greasy spoon' it was but the chips were fantastic , and twice the size of portions that we got else where , the only downside with this place was the owner who was a right misserable sod.!!!

The old womans chippy by the Nags was taken over by a young couple (Late 70's) and then by an Iranian fellow by the name of Hussain ( but we called him Sam ) He did look after us (My friend as he called us ) because not long after he moved in , he had some trouble and we sorted it for him, we always got siver service treatment after that!!

Sanderson's in Bulwell used to take some beating...especially with one of their world-class beef pies (which were sold around the county) too!

"Busy Bee's", Bridlington, East Yorkshire...10/10...

In the summer I rang to order home delivery of fish and chips at 2am...excellent, with two fillets and tasty chips - delivered within ten minutes - all for 98p! > > > Pattaya, Thailand.

Cheers

Robt P.

Cockington Road used to be pretty good, Chingford Chippy was legendary. It's now gone. I tried the chip shop opposite the Wheelhouse the last time I was up there and it was rubbish, even our 2 Braintree chipoils are fantastic in comparison, they shouldn't have a clue, but they deliver perfect stuff everytime, trouble is, it will be cold by the time you get it home from here.

The best one I ever went to was in Blackpool , circa 1994 when we used to go up as a gang of lads. This chippy was on the south side of the block that has the Tower on it , not far from the aquarium .

Massive portion of chips and a piece of fish (Real Cod Too) that hung off both sides of the tray (It tripped you up if you weren't watching!!) £1.40p!!! ............Happy Days.......

The one just on the right up Carlton Road was run for a while (80's?) by a guy who I thought was italian,

Who originally worked at Petes (italian?) Chippy on Arkwright Street near Orange Street Late 60's early 70s.

Petes was allways busy, not so the one 200yds further down towards Trent Bridge.

The Chippy on Burton Road Carlton, next to the old cinema was Excellent 80-90s.

The sold Sheppies which were deep fried Shepherds pies which looked like a large Scotch egg.

Delicious, but never seen them since?

Should I split this topic cause its gone from Crap to Best?

Topic Renamed

I agree with the comments on the Wollaton Street chippie - always highly rated that one. There also used to be a fairly decent one on Foreman Street.

Plus, if you're ever down in Somerset I came across a brilliant place where people actually queued to get a seat inside, it's called Papa's and is in Weston Super Mare. The food was absolutely delicious.

...Plus, if you're ever down in Somerset I came across a brilliant place where people actually queued to get a seat inside, it's called Papa's and is in Weston Super Mare. The food was absolutely delicious.

Yes indeed, can confirm...the owners are friends of my cousin, who lives in Weston.

Not unknown for police to be called to control queues at Bank Holiday, when the Bristol pond life are in town.

Similarly popular is Weston's 'Meadow Street Fish Bar'...

Cheers

Robt P.

I agree with the comments on the Wollaton Street chippie - always highly rated that one. There also used to be a fairly decent one on Foreman Street.

THIS PLACE IS MENTIONED ELSEWHERE ON HERE , I THINK IT'S ON THE SHOPS ON GOLDSMITH STREET THREAD.

Plus, if you're ever down in Somerset I came across a brilliant place where people actually queued to get a seat inside, it's called Papa's and is in Weston Super Mare. The food was absolutely delicious.

IS THIS PLACE OPEN ON A SUNDAY ?? AS WE INTEND STOPPING FOR LUNCH IN WESTON ON THE WAY TO CORNWALL NEXT WEEKEND .

what about mr haddocks at canning circus now the ropewalk bar...great chips !

NEVER WENT THERE THE THOUGHT OF IT BEING A FORMER FUNERAL HOME PUT ME OFF A BIT.

A BIT LIKE THAT PLACE AT SYERSTON THAT IS NOW A SPA RESORT TYPE THING . BEFORE THE SPA IT WAS A RESTAURANT AND I WOULDN'T GO TO IT, AS IT'S PREVIOUS USE WAS A MAGGOT FACTORY !!!

Yes indeed, can confirm...the owners are friends of my cousin, who lives in Weston.

Not unknown for police to be called to control queues at Bank Holiday, when the Bristol pond life are in town.

Similarly popular is Weston's 'Meadow Street Fish Bar'...

Cheers

Robt P.

ONCE AGAIN IS THIS SECOND ONE OPEN ON A SUNDAY LUNCH ???

TA

Stan Boswell's on North Gate New Basford in 1950/60's was great, however it seemed no matter what time you went in he was always "Waiting For Chips" so much so I read a poem/ode to that effect! probably why chips were so good though, always freshly cooked, did some great round minced beef and onion pies too, never seen them elsewhere, further down North Gate next to Walker's beer off was another chip shop but opposite end of scale taste wise, also used some funny smelly oil/fat? guesses as to what ranged from ex sump oil (used to collect from garages as part of early recycling?) to axle grease, then of course there was Balls cafe corner of Nottingham Road/Chatsworth Ave, used to go down well when mam asked "where you going for dinner?" "BALLS!"

Another great one was at Mablethorpe,,,, can't recall the name,,,, but is was on a side street in the town centre - always great year after year.

I concur - great chippy, and the fish....... crispy batter and full of flavour.....

We popped into there last year while camping at Mablethorpe.

Sanderson's in Bulwell used to take some beating...especially with one of their world-class beef pies (which were sold around the county) too!

MMmmmmm.......... Sandersons pies -my favourite. They are a standard I judge all newcomers against. So far, no one beats them!!!. Their motto? - always eaten, never beaten.

I once, as a young lad, worked about 2 doors down from their factory on Greasley Street in Bulwell. It was my job to take the orders, go to Sandersons, buy the pies and then put them on top of the 'warmer' in the factory till dinner time.

The 'warmer' was a wood fired stove that sat in the middle of the 'snap' area, where we all used to pull our chairs upto, in the corner of the workshop.

Quite the opposite was the Wollaton Street Chippy (or was it 'Servery' ?).

Still goes down in my list as one of the best ever,,,, (& i've done my best to sample 'em all over the country)

I still recall the waitresess - never used a pad or anything to remember the orders,,,, they'd take the orders from say 4 tables in her head,,,, & deliver all to the right person (try asking a 'new' Bar person the price of TWO drinks - they can't tell ya until they use the till to add them up !!!!!!!)

The Snackery formerly Harry Lomax's fried fish restaurant.

snackeryvb8.jpg

More here http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=248&st=40

Theodosius 501 chippy used to be between The Anglo American garage & The White Horse on Ilkeston road was the dogs .

Very really use a chippy now , but the odd time my lad wants to be bored to death & join me in a visit to the city ground the one just up from the train station or the one oppostise Trent Bridge House on Radcliffe Road both fill a hole .

I only ever have chips & curry sauce the one on Radcliffe road as currants / or raisins in it ........well i think that's what they are ?

IS THIS PLACE OPEN ON A SUNDAY ?? AS WE INTEND STOPPING FOR LUNCH IN WESTON ON THE WAY TO CORNWALL NEXT WEEKEND .

To be honest, I'm not sure - pretty certain they were in the summer but it's out of season now. Could try giving them a ring, for phone number and a good review, follow the link.

http://good-grub.co.uk/?cat=65

Wasn't the Chippy on Wollaton Street once called 'The Hippodrome'. In the 50's mother would take me into town during the school holidays and would always say 'Lets go to the Hippodrome for some fish and chips' and we would cram upstairs in a little room trying to get as close to the window as possible. Was it named after the old cartoon cinema that used to be along there somewhere, that would be the ultimate treat, fish and chips at the Hippodrome plus a couple of hours of Mickey Mouse afterwards just down the road.

Theos on Ilkeston Road was always our post drinking night out scoff, how we could put all that grub away after having too many pints was beyond me. They used to serve up the same delicious crusty pies that they sold at the Cockington Road chipoil.

Theos also used to do a limited range of Chinese takeouts, my mate who was at Manchester Uni and lived off the stuff up there introduced me to it, Theos used to do a very excellent chicken with mushrooms, oyster sauce and bean sprouts, lovely stuff, my introduction to a sort of Chinese take away.

I worked in Mapperley in 1975 and the Porchester Fish Bar on Woodborough Road sold superb fish.It came in small,medium or large.Naturally, I always chose large and chips.The fish would be hanging off either side of the plate.Two days a week they sold it fresh.I worked in a bank and me and one of my working colleagues used to use the manager's office to eat them.We could do that coz I was in charge ! The office would stink of fish and chips for the rest of the day but who cared !?

Pies,,,,, mmmmmmmmm,,,,

I don't recall Sandersons,,,,,but they wouldn't have been a patch on Hackworths (Meadows)

I might be a bit biassed as I was the chief pie maker (also chief sausage maker & dripping maker & bacon boner (coo is that phrase ripe for comment ??)

We only did one sort - pure & simple - Beef Pie. The shop won some award for the pies that I made,,,, & I won a couple of competitions with me sausage (I do ask for it don't I !?!?!).

In all honesty - to this day I can't get anything like those pies & sausages,,,,,, tho' a local shop here in Cornwall do a pretty good imitation of the pies. I usually get half a dozen for the freezer.

damn,,,, made me hungry now,,,,,,,,