Nottingham Chippies Good and Bad

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hilda's on Kirkewhite Street East was a great fish and chip shop,for as long as I can remember it was run by Hilda alone until her husband Joe retired and helped out,they lived in Beeston Rylands and

I often nip into Carringtons on Carrington Street after a Forest home game, I always have a child's portion of chips, normal battered sausage & curry sauce, in a tray & wooden fork.   

We always used to get fish and chips there when County were playing at home. As Dad was a driver at Trent Bridge we could leave his car there and walk to Meadow Lane after having a good feed.

On Thursday, February 04, 2010 at 8:03 PM, mick2me said:

3 Steak and Ale Pie, Peas and Mash (with bottomless gravy boat) £15 fo all three meals.

I've been up most of the night thinking why is it called a gravy boat? When all of the liquid is on the inside?

I can remember Peters on Arkwright Street back in the late 60's when I worked on Bell Street. As first year apprentices it was our job to go round the factory and get orders just before lunch. It was done on a rota basis so the people in the shop soon got used to a young lad with a cardboard box coming in at about 11.45. The quality was excellent and volume was good as well. I always thought Peter was Greek but I could have been wrong.

As far as the one at Mablethorpe is concerned I recall it was called Monty's and it was extremely popular. The guy who did most of the frying was called Gilbert and he certainly knew how to cook fish and chips to perfection. I believe the shop is still there but obviously different staff run it now.

Going back to the late 60s there was a Chippy on Arkwright Street( Or maybe Carrington Street? it's all changed a lot now.), which I think was open 24 hours.  Or have I imagined that bit?  Anyway, it was on the left as you came up from Trent Bridge end .  On a corner.  Had big windows.  They did Faggots Chips and Peas for about 4 shillings, which was spot on after a night at the Boatclubs, or in the TBI.  Anybody remember it?  What was it called?

Col

It was Arkwright St,just down from the Queens Hotel. I can't recollect ever using it, as it was always a blast up to Mecca Village for eggs, beans, sausage and chips after a session at the Boat clubs. 

Looks a lot like what I recall. Thanks Cliff.

At the opposite end of the scale and probably also already mentioned, was 'Black Fingered Lizzie's' in Bulwell.  I think I only went in once.  It was on the right hand side as you went up (I think)  Pilkington Street, from the Market place.  I'm a bit confused now as there were terraced garden fronted houses up there on the right.  My Mum took me to visit someone there a couple of times.  No idea who it was.... but I digress...

Black Fingered Lizzie's was as I recall in a wooden hut/shed, quite possibly painted green.  Inside was a counter of sorts and there was a gas stove, maybe more than one.. not sure... on which sat a number of ordinary chip pans and that was about it.  As I recall 'Lizzie' only sold chips.

I shall enquire amongst old friends for more info.

Edit.  Yep, just spoke to Picko who confirmed it was a green wooden hut near the bottom of Pilkington Street.

Col

Hilda's on Kirkewhite Street East was a great fish and chip shop,for as long as I can remember it was run by Hilda alone until her husband Joe retired and helped out,they lived in Beeston Rylands and travelled each day.

Hilda's had a sit down section at the rear of the front shop and also upstairs in the two bedrooms as it was a terrace house same as the rest on the row.

The magic time at Hilda's was when she had the sign in the window saying "Frying New Potato's" the new potato's cooked in "frying butter " wonderful.

Always a queue at Hilda's take your bowl for pie peas chips and gravy and she made nice fishcakes.

I can still remember one conversation Hilda had with a regular as I was waiting to be served she said" I cannot believe its been 10 years since the end of the war" so would be 1955.

Bless her for rain hail snow or floods she was always open,never closed for holidays that I remember in all the time I lived there 1944-1965 and I never knew her last name.....

• Upvote 4
  • 2 years later...
On 10/23/2008 at 7:33 PM, Ashley said:

Stan Boswell's on North Gate New Basford in 1950/60's was great, however it seemed no matter what time you went in he was always "Waiting For Chips" so much so I read a poem/ode to that effect! probably why chips were so good though, always freshly cooked, did some great round minced beef and onion pies too, never seen them elsewhere, further down North Gate next to Walker's beer off was another chip shop but opposite end of scale taste wise, also used some funny smelly oil/fat? guesses as to what ranged from ex sump oil (used to collect from garages as part of early recycling?) to axle grease, then of course there was Balls cafe corner of Nottingham Road/Chatsworth Ave, used to go down well when mam asked "where you going for dinner?" "BALLS!"

Oh yes Stan's chips was the best although he could be a funny sod I recall him slapping my friends face for spilling some salt lol.Imagine if that happens now days he would be arrested.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Nobody has mentioned the absolutely best chip shop in the world, ever.  I've never tasted anything like their chips before or since.  It was opposite the main bus depot in Sneinton, is it called Manvers Street?  Always went there in the 70's whilst waiting for the paddy bus.......did anyone else used to catch the paddy buses?  It was back in the day when the services stopped about 11 and they ran after midnight to take the drivers and conductors home........eee, conductors with their lovely leather money bags and the wonderful shiny ticket machines - I always fancied clicking out a mustard, sugar bag blue or terracotta coloured ticket........can you remember them too?  Time to finish this and leave you with memories - good old Nottstalgia, thanks for being here.   

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Unmade Marian said:

Nobody has mentioned the absolutely best chip shop in the world, ever.  I've never tasted anything like their chips before or since.  It was opposite the main bus depot in Sneinton, is it called Manvers Street?  Always went there in the 70's whilst waiting for the paddy bus.......

Probably one of these shop units ?  https://goo.gl/maps/UePQc9RpkA1SJi8i8

Hey Marian, way back in 1963, I remember using one of those ticket machines.:yahoo: It was pre- decimal and the tickets ran as- 1d, 2d, 

2 1/2d, 3d, 5d and 7d, (6d was done by two 3d tickets). The dearest fare to town from Bilborough depot was 7d old money, about 3p in today's coinage. Happy days !!

5 minutes ago, Unmade Marian said:

That's right, Cliff Ton it is.  It was Clifton where I used to catch the paddy bus to, which I presume you were/are from - don't know why I think that though!

Was. But still not too far away.

What years are you talking about when you did that?  (I suspect you might be younger than me).

1 minute ago, Unmade Marian said:

Ha, ha Beekay.  That's right, pre decimal indeed when chocolate bars cost 3d or 6d.

It were the best job I've ever had. Not so much a job more a way of life. Notice your location, I used to live in Sherwood, many moons ago, off Valley road. B.

1 hour ago, Unmade Marian said:

I'm talking beginning of the 70's when I was late teens.  My bit older bruv was in Elliott House - I'm assuming you went to Fairham Comp

Who's this aimed at??

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Who's this aimed at??

I think it's aimed at me BK ;)

3 hours ago, Unmade Marian said:

I'm talking beginning of the 70's when I was late teens.  My bit older bruv was in Elliott House - I'm assuming you went to Fairham Comp

I was in Fleming House. You and your brother might be closer to my age than I supposed. Give me another clue

When I lived in Doncaster and came down to Nottingham for a visit always went to chippy on Beechdale Road, best mushy peas ever. In Doncaster they were always a vivid green (no pea was ever that colour) and dry, definitely not proper mushy peas.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavertongirl said:

When I lived in Doncaster and came down to Nottingham for a visit always went to chippy on Beechdale Road, best mushy peas ever. In Doncaster they were always a vivid green (no pea was ever that colour) and dry, definitely not proper mushy peas.

Artificial colours & flavours.

• Like 1