Nottingham Chippies Good and Bad

I used to get a steak pie from a grocers shop in Bilsthorpe for £1 (cirrca 93/4) , they were massive delicious and lasted me all day , the story goes that the owner of the shop did them as a 'special' for the striking miners in the eighties , and kept on making them as they proved so popular.

I may have got that info off of here, if I did I appologise to the author.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hilda's on Kirkewhite Street East was a great fish and chip shop,for as long as I can remember it was run by Hilda alone until her husband Joe retired and helped out,they lived in Beeston Rylands and

I often nip into Carringtons on Carrington Street after a Forest home game, I always have a child's portion of chips, normal battered sausage & curry sauce, in a tray & wooden fork.   

We always used to get fish and chips there when County were playing at home. As Dad was a driver at Trent Bridge we could leave his car there and walk to Meadow Lane after having a good feed.

I was in Carlton last night and called in at the Ocean fish bar. It's just below the Nags Head pub on Carlton Road, it was voted the third best chippy in Britain. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

I used to use that regularly when The Naggo was my local in the 80s , it was run by a fellow called Hussian who every body new as Sam !! I got him to be one of the first 'Chippies' in Carlton to do Baked Beans!!!

I've only been in there once recently (Well a couple of years back actually) and I wasn't that impressed, but then again it was 'early doors' and they never are that good at that time of an evening

AND - the best fish and chips in England can be found at Georges Tradition in both Long Eaton and West Bridgeford (among other places)!

Fer me Snap when am Wokkin!

Keddleston Road Fish Bar, D*rby.

Fish Chips and peas (or Curry) £3.40

Supposed to be small portion but I struggle to eat it all.

Brittania fish bar, Prince Charles Ave, Mackworth D*rby.

Best ever chicken/lamb kebab, Mostly meat.

It will take 2 people to eat it! £3.20.

Yummy Fish Bar (chinese) Abbingdon Street D*rby

Chips fried rice and Curry £2

There used to be a chip shop just round the corner from the old Hanley (?) Street bus station in the 50s- early 60s. They sold terrific, batter covered fritters. I've never seen them anywhere else.

Hi Tomlinson

Its been discussed before, and theres a picture of it too somewhere here.

Someone will point it out, Might have been one of Reds posts?

There used to a good Fish and Chip shop in the 50s and 60s near the Fountain (Sherwood Rooms)area. My cousin and I used to go there a lot in the 60s for lunch. Also there was another near the Ice stadium that was very good.

They sold terrific, batter covered fritters. I've never seen them anywhere else.

They used to sell batter covered tater fritters at Cockington Road round about the same time, 2d each, I mentioned their crusty pies earlier, I can still taste them now, were they homemade or supplied locally, as they were sold at Theos as well, I suspect it was a local bakers.

I thought you might like this:

http://www.henleysfishandchips.co.uk/fish-and-chips-Braintree/

Our newly found local chipoil, fantastic, ever seen a chip shop where you can select your own fish from the display on the counter, the quality is out of this world but the same price as everyone else, I've always been surprised that our anonymous little Essex town has so many good fish and chip shops, perhaps because being 20 mins drive from the coast helps, but I suspect that as we are en-route to London from Lowestoft, that it's easy to drop fresh stuff off in the early hours on the way to Billingsgate.

By the way, those kebabs are fresh and fantastic as well, I wouldn't normally touch them with a barge pole but our George, being a youth, likes them and I've tried them, they are really tasty, non of this fungus covered crap from the week before.

It is amazing how much difference the freshness of the fish makes. I really like deep-fried grouper, and it is fairly easy to get down in southern Florida. The quality varies tremendously, but there is a place in Naples, on the water, who buy their grouper from the fisherman as they return - so the fish you get is typically less than 8 hours out of the water! It is a little more expensive, but the difference in taste is astonishing!

That's part of the reason that Cornwall is so appealing to me, catch a Black Bream at 3.00pm on my table cooked and smothered in a creamy Tarragon sauce at 7.30 pm , absolutely delicious, mmmmmmmmmmm ,you've got me going now (Although it'll have to be tomorrow as we are having Spag Bol tonight and I've already started on it !!!)

i'm telling you now if you can get yourself's to andy's fish bar you will not be dissapointed fish and chips are great do not be tempted to have the large chips unless you are a glutton kebab's very good as well.

Wheres Andy's fish bar Dez?

Its a sad fact that Fish & Chips is no longer a budget meal.

Three of us just dined in a local Pub.

1 Cajun chicken Chips Salad

2 Chicken Tikka, Rice Papadums, and Pickle

3 Steak and Ale Pie, Peas and Mash (with bottomless gravy boat)

£15 fo all three meals.

(c.$22.50)

Guest Flatcap Driver Rides Again

Fish & Chips is no longer a budget meal.

You Say?

Fish and Chips you must be joking, on my pension?

Can of Happy Shopper soup, and a reduced breadloaf

spread with Stork for me.

Thats if I can get past the local Bestwood Posse,

And thats what I say!

Wheres Andy's fish bar Dez?

andys fish bar, 113 nottingham road, stapleford, nottingham ng9 8at opening hours 11.30 am-2pm 5pm-10pm telephone orders welcome 0115 9399035 i dont think he delivers overseas, great fish and chips,dont go for big portions of chips unless your starving, the large portion will streth to three. the fish is fantastic.

Used to be a really good one on corner Summers Street/ArkwrightStreet in the Medders, but that was back fifty years. Only Mam and Dad had fish, us kids had chip butties. Two doorsteps thick with margarine, then lay scolding hot chips in a layer on one, add salt and malt vinegar, and then press the other slice on top and squash. Yummy. I can still taste them now.

Alison

SWMBO looks at me 'Gone out' when I make a chip buttie and accuses me of setting a bad example to the kids (She don't know what she's missing does she ???)