• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember Gaffa well, we used to go down to the Imperial quite a bit and Gaffa were one of the two bands we tried not to miss - the other was Slender Loris. As a band, I don't think you could get mo

Great gig last night. It's been 30 years but the years fell away pretty quickly. hope they do it again soon! Yes a ton of grey hair and sometimes no hair but everybody giving it large towards the end

Great to see you too Stu. I really hope there will be something soon in the pipeline. Just hope Rue is over for the next one otherwise he will be beside himself. I've been singing Attitude Dancing all

Wayne Evans lived on the same street as me on the Ainsley Estate, didn't know him too much as he was a bit younger than me..if I remember correctly his first band was the Tadpole Lane Town and District Band or something along those lines..think they did a spot once on a kids tv programme..one of the other band members was Pete Wagstaff who lived across the road from Wayne, Pete and his brother Robin eventually went on to become DJ's on Radio Trent.

pete c....still riding a vespa

Can anyone remember a band at the Imperial called 'Almost Grown', they used to do a regular Saturday night slot in the late 60's early 70's, their lead guitarist was phenomenal, used to do Cream type stuff. They packed it in because of family commitments and finished off with a blazing last concert, culminating in much guitar and amp smashing at the end, was anyone there at the time.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone remember a band at the Imperial called 'Almost Grown', they used to do a regular Saturday night slot in the late 60's early 70's, their lead guitarist was phenomenal, used to do Cream type stuff. They packed it in because of family commitments and finished off with a blazing last concert, culminating in much guitar and amp smashing at the end, was anyone there at the time.

Sorry about that, yes i did see Almost Grown at the 'teenagers night' Bass' sports and social club Burton -on-Trent 1968. I was fourteen and very impressed. if I can clear away the very cloudy mists of time i remember them being a four piece, bass , drums, guitar and a singer that looked a bit like Roger Chapman from 'Family', and I think they played a couple of 'Family' tunes along with some Cream and Hendrix plus a Bluesbreakers song ,which was a tour de force for the short haired guitarist who rubbed two guitars together with his feet, creating a sonic gumbo never witnessed before or since on a teenage night at Bass' Club. i think the bass player was named Kevin, as his name was painted on the back of his fender bass.The drummer played a double bass drum kit a la Ginger Baker and it was battered Marshall amps all round.If you're into guitars, i think he was playing a cherry red Gibson 335 and rubbing that with Vox Phantom.A couple of years later I thought I saw the singer in the crowd at the Nottingham Rock/Blues Festival, starring Taste, Atomic Rooster and non other than Family...He was wearing a bandanna, paisley type shirt and toking on a huge spliff. I hope someelse out there can confirm this.Love Peace And Understanding Twaino XXXX

the short haired guitarist rubbed two guitars together with his feet, creating a sonic gumbo never witnessed before or since. Twaino

Hiya Twaino: Would you elucidate ((careful choice of word !)) please ?

talking of old old bands - did anyone see Rockin' Henry & the Hayseeds ? I saw them about '63 at the 'Y' - one of my first live bands.

Yes! Cheyanne because he was an Indian. :-)

went to the same school as Cheyanne Ali and his Brothers n sisters,i used to pal about with his brother Mavrick

.....Indian.....Oops...No his dad was Pakistan..mam was English.......

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anybody remember the late 70s outfit Gaffa? We used to go down the Imperial on a Thursday night and watch them. It cost 50p to get in, and your hand would be stamped so you could get out to the toilet and back in again! And (God help us) we walked back down Alfreton Road and Hartley Road to my house on the Ainsley estate.

Gaffa are playing tonight at Nottm Contemporary

Gaffa are playing tonight at Nottm Contemporary

I was aware of them in their old days but I never saw them back then.

But I went the gig at the Contemporary.......never seen so much grey hair in one room

Great gig last night. It's been 30 years but the years fell away pretty quickly. hope they do it again soon!

Yes a ton of grey hair and sometimes no hair but everybody giving it large towards the end of the gig.

• Upvote 1

Great gig last night. It's been 30 years but the years fell away pretty quickly. hope they do it again soon!

Yes a ton of grey hair and sometimes no hair but everybody giving it large towards the end of the gig.

Fantastic to see you again, Jeff (and Den). Last night was one of those special nights that will be remembered for a long, long time time. So good to see the lads back again. I'm encouraged to hear that they're interested in possibly pursuing playing together a bit more again. I think (know) there was a lot of love in the room last night!

Great to see you too Stu. I really hope there will be something soon in the pipeline. Just hope Rue is over for the next one otherwise he will be beside himself. I've been singing Attitude Dancing all day!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the gig report guys.

In the very near future I will be having no problems in attending such events.

Thanks for adding the pic Jeff, we will have no problem recognising you now

at forthcoming Nottstalgia meet ups at the Bell Inn. :)

• 7 months later...

For anyone interested, Gaffa are back at The Nottingham Contemporary once more. See below (and John Maslen's remarks at end of second link).

http://www.nottinghamcontemporary.org/event/gaffa-0

http://www.fade2grey.com/rip-it-up/gaffa/

'hello again
just to let you know that gaffa will play a ‘requests and others’ set at the nottingham contemporary on friday 18 nov. 2011. thanks to all those who left email addresses and song requests at the last performance.
john maslen'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...