• 11 months later...

Just received my latest edition of the Basford Bystander by email, to find out that Stan Smith the publisher, passed away in April. I didn't personally know Stan, but feel I have lost a friend. He always wrote a friendly accompanying note with each edition. His wife Christine is taking over. RIP Stan.

• 1 month later...

In this month's Basford Bystander, Woodthorpe features twice. Part 1 of an article about Woodthorpe Hall and another feature from someone who grew up in Woodthorpe and her childhood.

• Upvote 1

Katyjay, You say that Woodthorpe was mentioned in the Basford Bystander this month....... How can I get a copy of that? Can anyone on here get a copy for me for when I'm in Nottingham next week? Or can I get it online?

Thanks Cliff and Chulla for your replies, but I've actually got one now. It's good of you to offer help - I appreciate it

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

The latest issue of the Basford Bystander (No.180) has two cracking photos. A Basford to Bulwell horse-drawn bus, with its bowler-hatted driver and conductor; and a wonderful photo of Basford Crossings and Lincoln Street, as it was when some of us can still remember it, albeit early 20th century.

• Upvote 1
On 17/06/2015 at 4:04 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

#24 That would be the Don & John who keep a boat at Long Eaton?

Sorry NBL just seen your question...........and yes they did,not now though...............

• 6 months later...

The cover of the latest issue of Bystander - No.183 - has a superb photo of the bottom of Southwark Street c.1907, showing the entrances to Bulwell Lane and Park Lane, and the cottages that used to stand there - the former known as the canary houses. Cracking picture.

Also in the issue is a lovely photo of Whitemoor School girls in 1949 - they will be in their 70s now. The girls are:

Pamela Booth, Shirley Fletcher, Susan Caghill, Margaret Breakey, Glenys Darnell, Joan Denton, Pat Kirk, Judith Simnett (who sent the picture from Canada), Janice Betts, Christine Stevenson, and Janet Willy.

Also, an interesting account of the Vernon Road Bleaching Company in WW1.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

The latest issue of the Basford Bystander (No.186) has an excellent article about the Seely family who sunk the pits around the Cinder Hill area and were involved in the General Hospital, the Cedars and various of the Halls and Granges. There is a nice picture of Broxtowe Hall. Also in the issue is an interesting old map of the enclosures in Old Basford in 1792. 

I will give the magazine a deserved plug.

It was founded and run by Stan Smith until his death a couple of years ago. Since then his wife Christine has taken up the reigns and is doing a superb job. It is only eight pages, but like all such ventures it relies on inputs from people with memories and who have found interesting articles about the area in the past. It covers not only Basford but surrounding areas also.

It costs 35 pence an issue, which appears every two months. Over-the-counter outlets are : Exton Motors, Carey Road, Bulwell. Jennison's Wool Shop, Highbury Vale (opposite the Highbury Garage - ladies this is a good place to buy your wool). Bulwell Baptist Church, Jay's Hairdressers, Park Lane, Basford. Basford Library. Southwark Street Newsagents. Bailey Street Stores, Basford. Londis Stores, Valley Road. Don and John's Barbers, Nottingham Road. Bagnall Road Newsagents. Perry Road/Hucknall Road Newsagents. Horsendale Road Newsagents, Nuthall. Plumb's Ironmongers, Kimberley. It is also available on line for a subscription (Katyjay gets it this way)

Local History Society meetings are advertised

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, nnsc said:

How would I get a copy of the Basford Bystander Chulla?

See my edit above, nnsc.

• Like 1
On 2/3/2018 at 6:17 AM, Chulla said:

The latest issue of the Basford Bystander (No.186) has an excellent article about the Seely family who sunk the pits around the Cinder Hill area and were involved in the General Hospital, the Cedars and various of the Halls and Granges. There is a nice picture of Broxtowe Hall. Also in the issue is an interesting old map of the enclosures in Old Basford in 1792. 

I will give the magazine a deserved plug.

It was founded and run by Stan Smith until his death a couple of years ago. Since then his wife Christine has taken up the reigns and is doing a superb job. It is only eight pages, but like all such ventures it relies on inputs from people with memories and who have found interesting articles about the area in the past. It covers not only Basford but surrounding areas also.

It costs 35 pence an issue, which appears every two months. Over-the-counter outlets are : Exton Motors, Carey Road, Bulwell. Jennison's Wool Shop, Highbury Vale (opposite the Highbury Garage - ladies this is a good place to buy your wool). Bulwell Baptist Church, Jay's Hairdressers, Park Lane, Basford. Basford Library. Southwark Street Newsagents. Bailey Street Stores, Basford. Londis Stores, Valley Road. Don and John's Barbers, Nottingham Road. Bagnall Road Newsagents. Perry Road/Hucknall Road Newsagents. Horsendale Road Newsagents, Nuthall. Plumb's Ironmongers, Kimberley. It is also available on line for a subscription (Katyjay gets it this way)

Local History Society meetings are advertised

An excellent informative & comprehensive post there Dave !

• Like 1