The Nottingham Suburban Railway

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone, Yes I’m back on track and I can tell you that after a wait of six years, Volume 3 of The Story of the Nottingham Suburban Railway is being published and launched at the Nottingham Model R

Ladies and Gents,   Some very good news, see:-   http://www.booklaw.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=4068&controller=product   My order is going in tonight!  

Welcome David and thanks for the update on Vol 3! Good to hear that you're in better health.   Looking forward to the Vol 3 launch next month and like others on this forum I have put in my o

Posted Images

I love these maps today, just one little thing from pedants corner, just below Gedling it has Netherfield on it's own below Netherfield and Colwick, well , as I said , pedantically, the top one of the two should be "Carlton and Netherfield" the bottom of the two "Netherfield and Colwick"

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Found this forum whilst searching on the NSR and have enjoyed reading all the recollections of this old line.

In 1949 I was born in Thorneywood House, on the corner of Carlton Hill and Porchester Rd, which I am told by David Birch (author of the three books on the NSR) was owned by a director of the line at one time. One of my earliest recollections is seeing the track being lifted at Thorneywood Station (1954ish?) and I often ventured through the Sneinton and Burgass Road tunnels, although I never had the nerve to walk far into the Thorneywood tunnel!

My folks moved to my grandparent's house on Carlton Hill for a while but in 1951 bought a plot on Radstock Rd in Thorneywood and had a house built on it, No 8. Thorneyood tunnel ran directly under this house and, after they sold up and moved to Wilford Hill in the '60s, the house developed a large crack caused by subsidence, whether from the railway tunnel or mine-workings I'm not sure. "The Pads", an area around the brickworks, was the local playground for kids in the vicinity and I can recall the works closing and the site becoming the current hsuing estate.

I've bought the first two NSR books by David and joined his group that has a newsletter about the line often puts on tours of NSR remains. The third book is due out in 2013, I believe. They are not cheap but then a lot of work has gone into them and railway books always seem to be expensive in my limited expereince.

Cheers,

Roger Basford

In 1949 I was born in Thorneywood House, on the corner of Carlton Hill and Porchester Rd, which I am told by David Birch (author of the three books on the NSR) was owned by a director of the line at one time.

Welcome to Nottstalgia. I guess this is the house you are referring to, which I believe is still standing.

porch.jpg

could be the next generation of Tardis, just waiting for the windows to be filled in and a blue paint job

Rog

• Upvote 1

It actually was a phonebox storage yard , at one point (When they were phasing out the red ones) there were a lot more there .

• Upvote 1

Hi

No, that's the old stationmaster's house, Thorneywood House is across Porchester Rd. You can just see a chimney on it in the extreme right of your photo. I have some photos of TH but can't see how to attach them to this message. The link to an archived photo is here:-

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM009959&pos=2&action=zoom

Cheers

Roger

Welcome to Nottstalgia. I guess this is the house you are referring to, which I believe is still standing.

porch.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I learnt that when they were building the Nottingham Suburban Railway they used narrow a gauge railway to dispose of the waste material as they went along. Apparently this little light railway up in Edwinstowe, which I had never heard of, has a couple of small engines which are close facsimiles of the engines that would have been used on the NSR.

Sherwood Forest Railway

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Re # 85. The third volume is out now. It is in Book Law's latest catalogue. I must mention it to madam, and hope I get it for my birthday !!!!

• 1 month later...

Re # 85. The third volume is out now. It is in Book Law's latest catalogue. I must mention it to madam, and hope I get it for my birthday !!!!

It's been a few months since I looked at this thread, so sorry for the delay in responding. Re posting #93, I've just looked at Booklaw's catalogue but can only see volumes 1 and 2 of David Birch's books on the NSR, have I missed the launch of the third volume? I know David has been unwell recently.

MB

I went in the Book Law shop last week, and was told that there has been a delay in the printing of Vol 3.

Sue said it could be ready by the time their next catalogue is published, so fingere crossed .

Just in time for madam to get it for my birthday inAugust.

#98. There might be more than one David Birch, but there is only one Chulla. Thank Christ for that, some would say. The latter writes about aviation, not railways.

I went in the Book Law shop last week, and was told that there has been a delay in the printing of Vol 3.

Sue said it could be ready by the time their next catalogue is published, so fingere crossed .

Thanks. I get their catalogue in the post so will make a point of checking for Vol 3 when the next catalogue comes. I believe that Vol 3 has a number of previously unpublished photos in it.

Cheers

MB

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Thanks. I get their catalogue in the post so will make a point of checking for Vol 3 when the next catalogue comes. I believe that Vol 3 has a number of previously unpublished photos in it.

Cheers

MB

Got the latest BookLaw catalogue last week but no sign that I could see of the NSR Vol 3. Perhaps best I give them a call, unless anyone has news? There's been little on David Birch's mailing list this year.

MB

Visited Book Law last Friday & there has been another problem with volume 3

And it will not be published till towards the end of the year.

I was led to believe that David is still quite seriously? ill.

Thanks for the update. Yes, his wife sent a round-robin e-mail last December to people on his NSR list saying that David had been very ill and was in considerable pain still. David followed that up with a brief Xmas greeting and I have heard no more since. The December message also mentioned that David hadn't heard from Booklaw recently but of course that was nearly 8 months ago.

MB

• 2 months later...

Visited Book Law last Friday & there has been another problem with volume 3

And it will not be published till towards the end of the year.

I was led to believe that David is still quite seriously? ill.

Anyone have any more news on David and also Volume 3?

I've tried e-mailing Booklaw but no response.