The Nottingham Suburban Railway

HI All,

Just received my Booklaw catalogue, dated July 2016. "The Story Of The NSR" volume 3" is listed under "Proposed Titles" on Page 6. Does anyone have any further info, in particular how David Birch is faring?

Bye,

MB

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone, Yes I’m back on track and I can tell you that after a wait of six years, Volume 3 of The Story of the Nottingham Suburban Railway is being published and launched at the Nottingham Model R

Ladies and Gents,   Some very good news, see:-   http://www.booklaw.co.uk/shop/index.php?id_product=4068&controller=product   My order is going in tonight!  

Welcome David and thanks for the update on Vol 3! Good to hear that you're in better health.   Looking forward to the Vol 3 launch next month and like others on this forum I have put in my o

Posted Images

I saw it too Mboy, I just hope we see it in the near future.

• 3 months later...

November Booklaw catalogue arrived here today and says that Volume 3 of NSB is "well over due, we are still waiting for the final chapter from the author". No publication date given.

Bye

MB

Same here. I eagerly searched for its publication date to no avail. Very disappointing.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

Hi All,

My latest Booklaw catalogue, Issue 1 Spring 2017, turned up today and there is no longer any mention of volume 3 of this series of books, just 1 & 2 on offer at £12.99 each (page 7 of catalogue), I've heard nothing from the NSR mailing list about David's health either.

Any news?

MB

I asked at the Nottingham Model Rly Exhibition the other week, and was informed that BL cannot make contact with DB, so it's release is in jeopardy.

• Upvote 1

That's a shame. Can only wish David well in the absence of any news about his health. Volume 3 was to cover the closure years, the  period most of interest to me.

MB

• Upvote 1

David Birch's health problems really began back in 2010.  He wrote to me saying that he was due an operation in 2011 but I don't know anything more than that.  The last I heard from him was in 2012 but he didn't mention his health in that email.  Does anyone know if he had the operation and if it was a success?

• Upvote 1

He has a Facebook page. It says he moved to Butterwick, Boston in 2014. His last post was Dec 2015 when he updated his profile pic. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
On 13/04/2017 at 3:35 PM, Compo said:

David Birch's health problems really began back in 2010.  He wrote to me saying that he was due an operation in 2011 but I don't know anything more than that.  The last I heard from him was in 2012 but he didn't mention his health in that email.  Does anyone know if he had the operation and if it was a success?

Compo,

The last e-mail that I had from David Birch is a round-robin to members of his Friends of the NSR in Dec 2014 group. It is written on David's behalf by his wife as he was still unwell. The move to Butterwick that katyjay mentioned is also in the e-mail with the full postal address. There is quite a bit on health matters, so I won't quote that here but if anyone with a genuine interest in the NSR books wants a copy off-list then P/M me.

From reading the last part of the message, it looks like some sort of breakdown in comms between David and Booklaw, possibly his illness and house move had a part to play.

Regards,

manversboy

• Upvote 1

A lack of communication..... I'll say. The whole situation is becoming ridiculous ! 

• Upvote 1

I agree! The closure years are what interests me the most. I grew up around in the area around the line and Thorneywood tunnel went directly under our house, the brickworks was in action until early in my teens and so the promised Volume 3 photos were always going to be what I wanted to see.

MB

• Upvote 1

Hi BW,

I've e-mailed the address used in the Dec 2014 message I had from David's wife (see #117) and asked after his health.also what was happening about his NSR work. I didn't ask directly about Vol 3, will wait to see if I get a response. Reading through the newsletters David sent to Friends of NSR (FONSR) I see that Vol 3 was planned to be largely photographs and David had a lot of not previously seen material he intended to include in the book.

Cheers

MB

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 03/07/2017 at 3:08 PM, Manversboy said:

Well, no response to my e-mail of June 20th by David or his wife, hope that isn't a bad sign.

Cheers all,

MB

Any news?

• Upvote 1

Sorry, nothing heard back from David or his wife and I felt it wasn't right to send a follow-up e-mail. Maybe someone will take up the reins and finish the third volume.

All the best for Xmas and 2018 to fellow NSR fans.

MB

Oh well, maybe for my birthday in August ! 

• 1 month later...