Greasy Lils Cafe

Does anyone remember a cafe called Greasy Lils that was somewhere near the Vic Centre bus station? I can remember going there, drunk, on several Friday nights for greasy fry ups at 3 in the morning, but where was the place? Can anyone remember?

There was also Audreys (Broad Street Cafe) she didn't open till 3.00am but the food was great

I did some work for Audrey at her house, she lived in bingham or still does, what a lovely lady. Her husband had not long died and i think she wanted the company more than anything else. Beefy she was a better cook at home than she ever was at the cafe, im sure i finished the work 3 stone heavier. She retired and sold the cafe to an Egyptian feller who wasted no time in ruining the place.

I spent a lot of mornings in there (Before and after Mick2me introduced me to curry at the Poonam!! ) She did all those drawings on the wall too. I remember there being one of Clint Eastwood and one of Sid James , amongst others.

I only went in a couple of times after the Egyptian fellow took over (His son had a bit of attitude too) you always seemed to be waiting hours for your grub!!

Then the Arriba closed (86ish), so I was never that end of town at closing time !!

I remember Greasy Lil's, us bikers used to hang out there after Motimer's Cavern or the Sal shut. Right filthy dive, and often full of winos. It was next door-ish to Barton's bus garage IIRC, opposite the old Huntingdon Street bus station.

First time I went in there was whilst waiting for the overnight bus down to Salisbury, when I was in the Army about 1979. The old man dropped me off, I went into the caff for a brew and ended up in a punch-up with a couple of drunks!

There was also another cafe (much cleaner) opposite, can't remember what it was called.

When I used to go in there,,,, it must have just been called Lil's ! It was nice, clean & pleasant enough. There were a couple of young lady's working there,,, matching blouses & aprons I think,,,,

As a ‘grub’ man I much preferred greasy spoons with their concomitant real food & real hot ‘n strong tea,,,, to a sanitised box affair with no character,,,, crap, food, crap service & worse of all – crap tea !

I dated both girls from the café (didn’t know the cafe name at the time) – must have been about mid 60’s (the date – not the girls !?)

• 3 weeks later...

The building is still there (wish i had a digital camera) next door was M.M.D taxis and on the corner was an amusement arcade, the sign is still there i think it was called Playland. The other Cafe opposite Scriv mentioned became a car spares shop.