Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3.

Doug Fearn was my uncle (died 29 dec last year) the girl in question would have been Linda but I'm sure she went to Cavendish Road School(is it now Frank Weldon school ? )

And I'm sure Linda's elder brother Malcolm went there too.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admireĀ  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those p

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one . I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting . You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question o

The other memory I have of "the bank" is one sports day..... (sorry if I have told this before) .

There were some 1st or 2nd years doing a 440 yds. final and one young lad was way , way ahead and almost at the winning tape .

At the same time , some other kid on the far side of the field , just at that very moment , decided to perform a world-class discus throw .The discus bounced and skimmed across the surface and took out the young race leader just below the knee, flattened him , seconds before he crossed the line !

Result was , all the kids sat watching at the top of "the bank" , rolling down the slope ,clutching their stomachs , as they were doubled up in laughter .

Children can be cruel !

Carni,

I remember Mr Spencer starting and him being a hard-nut .

He had something to do with music too and remember all being lined up one day and being "auditioned" .

He said to me "You'll go a long way with that voice" . (Don't think he meant " the further the better ! ")

Anyway , he was wrong , only ever seem to sing in the congretion at funerals !

Yes I remember he had some thing to do with music, that reminds me, I joined the school choir but only to get out of lessons,Oh what a silly girl i was, I couldn't even sing! still can't! Ah Yes, Much better to be singing at those funerals David if you know what i mean! Lol Can you remember that tempting aroma that spread up the corridor when cookery lessons were on, mmmmm What ever we used to cook was always half the size by the time i got home.

I don't remember the cookery smells but I do remember walking home after school with girls from our class ,up Westdale Lane . They used to carry baskets with their creations in cookery..... (always seemed to be cheese straws) .

Never got any . ( Or the food ! slywink ) and I could have eaten the lot !

• Upvote 1

I think they were called 'Gondola Baskets.' You were not considered 'With It' unless you had one of those on your arm on cookery days. I'm not surprised you didn't get any 'Cheese Straws' you naughty boy. :huh:

Oh yes, I remember the Gondola baskets for taking your cookery creations home, I used to feel very embarrassed carrying it when I got off the school bus! In fact even without the basket it was like running the gauntlet when I got off the bus in Arnold, dressed in my grammar school uniform and walking/running through a bit of a rough area to get to my home!

Doug Fearn was my uncle (died 29 dec last year) the girl in question would have been Linda but I'm sure she went to Cavendish Road School(is it now Frank Weldon school ? )

And I'm sure Linda's elder brother Malcolm went there too.

Maybe my mistake, her name was Andrea Fearn, so maybe same family but not Doug. I knew Malc Fearn too.

I also remember going on a cross country run, which I detested as I could never run to save my life, and as we were in the last few runners going up Arnold lane an old dear pulled alongside and offered us a lift in her car !

We jumped in and she dropped us off on digby avenue after passing all the others ! we of course were then first back at the school, and due to someone dobbing us in got a detention for it and another circuit of the course ! Arnlod lane Mapperley tops, Hazel grove, Digby avenue and across the field to Wollaton avenue (no houses there then), such fun !

Good Morning banjo48

I have had a look for the 'School Photo' for you and you will see it here on Page 3 # 41, I got the spelling of the name wrong of the Nottstalgian who sent it to me.

His name is Bazzer and not Bazza (who is a different person).

I hope you recognise some one in there.

I'm almost certain Andrea Fearn was not related to Malcolm or Linda.

Thinking back I must have been mistaken, something inthe back of my brain says maybe she was the daughter of the chippy at the bottom of Westdale at the time ?

I think that was called Fearn's at the time ?

I do know she was a lovely looking girl and one of the first in our class to "mature" so the boys used to drool over her !

My dad knew Dougie Fearn very well from when he was on Carlton Hill at the old house/yard, my dad was a builder so used to go there often for his gear, new and second hand timber etc.

Miss Robinson was our form teacher while Mr Miles was the 4P form teacher though he left during 1958, a good but very strict teacher his favourite weapon was a size 11 plimsoll. I started at the school while it was still being finished after doing my first year at Cavo. I went to Cavo after a year at Westdale Lane, this was my first school after returning to England after 3 years in Australia where I returned in 1966. Although I was terrible to Miss Robinson, she sent Christening presents to my two boys when they were born, (Beatrix Potter books)

I am posting this great school photo of Gedling school , class 4T from 1957 and a list of names .

Posting on behalf of a member here called "purseglove" who is waiting to make a first

post .

I have conversed with "purseglove" on another family history message board . For clarity ,its not the actual Mr Purseglove , the head but I'll leave it to him if he wants to reveal who he is on the photo .

Apart from the teachers who all look much much younger than I remember , I don't know anyone on the photo , as I didn't start there till 1960 but there are a couple of family names that I know .

Two of them are Hicking and Dethridge who must have had siblings in my year .

Also my uncle married a Jelly in the 1920s (make up your own puns !)

Surprised me how young Maud Robinson looked !

9727753379_953ba5195a_b.jpg

9731015718_5a8a4bf42c_b.jpg

PS: That should read Terry Briggs not Nriggs, sorry, "typo" gets the blame again.Not sure of any others but Dave Duncan died working as a steeplejack. Michael Hallam and Gordon Wise were head boys while Linda Elliot was head girl. I spent most of my time in "Percy's office making friends with his cane !!

Welcome and thanks for posting the photo Purseglove.

Do you have anymore or further memories of Gedling school ? And come on, tell us which one is you in the photo :-)

Who was "Head Master" after Mr Purseglove ?

I remember he left(retired?) while I was at Gedling School(1960 - 1965)

I can remember a "FOR SALE" notice appearing with the estate agents name being the same as the new head. it must have been 1964 or65.

Does anyone remember "George the Forge" He was the blacksmith who had a forge opposite the church in Gedling, He used to come up to the school and give demonstrations of his trampoline skills, we were told that he was an ex-circus person, I remember going to his forge and watch him shoeing a horse, not long after that he disappeared and the forge was pulled down. I also remember the big horse chestnut tree at the front of Susan Leach's house/dairy at the bottom of the twitchell, where we used to collect the best conkers.

• Upvote 2

i remember george very well the reason he suddenly disapeared was to do with the small dance group he ran ,it was all young girls i know quite a few of them i was asked to join but i said no some of these girls lived on the pit estate, i was told certain thing by these girls after his disapearance it was kept quiet for the sake of the girls

Yes Purseglove,

I remember George the Forge. That place was a magnet for a lot of us local kids, we all used to go round there daily. He had a small caravan on site, he used to let us all go in there and tidy for him. He was a big Shirly Bassey Fan and that is where I first realised who she was and what a powerful voice she had even then. He would take some of the children down to the 'Cricket Field' in his van, But i wasn't one of those. He also had a Bungalow on Apple Tree lane. Babs I wasn't one of the girls you mentioned thankfully.