Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3.

Anyone got a copy of the photo mentioned here, as I went to Gedling and left in 63, I was in Mr Greenwoods class.

My missus went to Cavo but is 2 years younger than me, her younger and older brothers both went to Cavo too!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admireĀ  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those p

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one . I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting . You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question o

Be great to see that photo, I remember Mrs Robinson (Maud- english ) Mr Scott (metalwork) Mrs Lemunie' (spelling)- French teacher)

Mr Godfrey (history- very good with a blackboard ruler, he used to wack us with it Lol!)

Mr Spencer (evil barsteward !) His favourite weapon a size 12 plimsole! One of my best mates got expelled by him ! Think he bacame head master after I left.

The shcool bullies when I started there in '59 was Roger Street, Richard Mabott and a few more I cannot remember.

Strange when I left school I became friends with both of them and used to hang around outside the library on corner top of Westdale lane, and another guy Barry Spackman, and the local doctors son, Jimmy Evans.

We were into motorbikes,guitarars and the usual stuff Oh and girls ! which had suddenly seemed to become an attraction too!

Other school friends were Roger Leach, believe his dad ran the Leach Dairy in Burton Joyce ? Ralph Simms, Will Gardiner

I used to cycle from Mapperley tops to Wolaton ave twice a day as I hated school dinners ! after a few months I became fairly fit but was still no good at sport ! apart from cricket and rugby, but we always seemed to lose in the inter school games.

I had a cycling mate Dereck Culley, as and I both cycled up and down together, we used to plan and dream of cycling to Skeggy to go camping, but never did.

Rambling again !

Denshaw

Yes the same chap, he lived on somersby road, always remember he had an amazing shed, think his dad was an engineer or something, as it had some lovely machinery in there, lathes etc.

• 3 months later...

Mr(David)Wilson Music nice bloke

Mr Taylor(Ex army) P.E. Evil cruel BASTARD

Mrs Davenport Crafts

Mr Healey Art

Mr Daft Woodwork.

Mr Fowler English.

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one .

I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to do the new fangled C.S.E exams and I stayed on for the 5th year before going to Digby College .

I remember all those teachers names . Because I was so scrawny Mr Taylor used to use me as a demo , to point out different muscles and bones in the body to the class....so embarrasing ! Then we discovered he was my Uncles next door neighbour and he was OK with me after that .

There was also Pete Davies who taught History and got me interested in the subject and he also doubled as a games teacher . Though I used to fall out with him as he maintained you could be offside from a corner in footy !

Surprised no one has mentioned Miss Cave the girls P.E. teacher ...she was a blonde bombshell !

I note someone saying about Mr.Spencer being a hard nut . I got on OK with him but a worse one was a chap called Brewin . Can't remember why but he used to teach us in the library (it was probably English) and we were absolutely petrified of him . He would throw kids around if they upset him as well as chucking books around in a temper.

Maud Robinson has been mentioned and she was such an old fashioned school maam . Remember her well but will always think of one lesson when we were told to read quietly to ourselves whilst she did some marking . The silence was broken when she looked up and asked :

"Does anyone know what f**k - off means ? A boy has written it in his essay and I don't know what it means "

Imagine then a class of 15/16 year olds hearing this very rude word and trying not to have helpless giggles from such a straight-laced lady . The only one who answered eventually was a girl called Carol who said "I think it means , go away , Miss "

Mr Fowler was also a disciplinarian . There was a really bad winter and a massive slide /sledge run had been made down the long slopes to the football pitch . Can't remember why , whether it was injuries to kids or whether it was damaging the grass but we were banned from going onto the grass . Kids being kids we developed a slide on the ice in the playground and it got glassier and glassier until it went right to the end of the playground and you couldn't help but hit the kerb and stumble onto the grass .

Mr Fowler was looking out the window and collared all those that stepped on the grass. We were hauled in and given the choice of lines or the ruler on the hand . Being fairly senior we wanted to appear macho we all went for the ruler !

Happy days , I enjoyed my time there and I would have liked to have seen that deleted photo . Though I have class photos from Westdale Lane Juniors I have none from Gedling .

I did have one photo of us standing in front of a bus setting out on a 10 day European tour of France , Belgium ,Germany and Switzerland (all for Ā£35 as I remember) . Unfortunately that pic got ruined whilst in storage so apart from a few individuals at Chatsworth House don't have any.

• Upvote 2

David W were you head boy for a year?

Found out !

Memories going a bit now but actually I think it was for the last two years as we were the first ever 5th year .

I was the guy that had to leave each lesson 5 mins before the end , to go and ring the dratted bell for the end of lesson .

Though I did share that duty with Julie , the head girl . I reckon because of that , I only had a 90% education !

Apart from doing that and then having to do an end of term report under Mauds supervision , not sure what else it meant . Though now I think about it , we did have to supervise all the kids in the corridors at various busy times .

So give me a clue , will I know you ? From earlier messages I've briefly read , you seemed to be in the same year as me but different form .

• 2 weeks later...

Must have been a common pastime looking at the pit tip buckets swinging merrily on their way. Wonder what the kids look at now !

Yes miss Cave, she used to wear a beige duffel coat and have a whistle on a ribbon around her neck, when on play ground duty, funny how memories come flooding back of silly things.

I left in 63 at 15, had a job already waiting for me.Big shock that was !

I hated school for some reason (maybe because I was shy) but really enjoyed further education at Peoples and Digby colleges.

I actually became quite good at Maths, which at school I was abysmal.

So banjo you were at school the year before I was.

Gedling Colliery was murdered in 1992 :( & the spoil is now good for wild life(featured on East Midlands Today Last week)

DavidW & I were in different forms until our last year at school(first ever 5th year)

I can remember the "BELL" was it not rung twice? once about 3 minuets before the lesson end and a double ring at lessons end.

So banjo you were at school the year before I was.

Gedling Colliery was murdered in 1992 :( & the spoil is now good for wild life(featured on East Midlands Today Last week)

DavidW & I were in different forms until our last year at school(first ever 5th year)

I can remember the "BELL" was it not rung twice? once about 3 minuets before the lesson end and a double ring at lessons end.

Yes you are right and for each and every lesson . Do you think its too late to make a claim for repetitive strain injury on my forefinger ?

Yes you are right and for each and every lesson . Do you think its too late to make a claim for repetitive strain injury on my forefinger ?

I think I did the bell bit(once or twice) in the fifth year when you were not in school for some reason

Wasn't it in the headmasters office?

P.S. you should have used your thumb. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone who was interested in seeing the photo of Gedling school 1962/3 this is form 4g1,sorry its taken so long but we are doing this for the first time.Hope it works, I am 4th from the left first row and Bazza who kindly sent me this photo is 1st left back row.Hope you see someone you know Piggy and Babs.

Form4G11963_zpsb604b987.jpg

Great to see the photo from my old school but unfortunately don't recognise any faces !

I was a year or two younger . Is that Mrs Lemenier on the right hand side ?

Same here David but this was a class a year older than us.

Taking the size of the class there must have been about 720 kids at Gedling school at that time(30 pupils a class x 6 forms a year x 4 school years)

What year was Gedling School opened?

I was in class 4A1 in 63, know some of the faces but not the names, top row 2nd left, I knew him fairly well, and the tall lad in the middle is familiar.

Middle row 4th from left may be Keith Starting ?

And yes it looks like Mrs Lemunier, had her for the first two years then Mr Greenwood for the last two years there.

Strange but they don't look like 4th years ? more year 3 maybe, or I'm just getting old :-))

Remember I had a crush on a girl there called Flora Healy, but never dared approach or speak to her, we did actually meet up again for a short fling when I was 16.

Hi,Just a few names on the school photo,hope you know some of them....bottom row..3rd left Rosemary Woodward,4th left me Christine Lang,5th left Rhona Windrass sadly passed away,3rd right Mary Sharp,1st right Jane Bramley,Middle row 1st right Miss Lemunier,Top row 1st left Barry Mellers(who kindly sent me this photo)2nd left Russell Burton,3rd left David Budding,8th left Robert Lambert.Hope perhaps some maybe on Nottstalga be interesting to see if anyone remembers me.

Hi,Just a few names on the school photo,hope you know some of them....bottom row..3rd left Rosemary Woodward,4th left me Christine Lang,5th left Rhona Windrass sadly passed away,3rd right Mary Sharp,1st right Jane Bramley,Middle row 1st right Miss Lemunier,Top row 1st left Barry Mellers(who kindly sent me this photo)2nd left Russell Burton,3rd left David Budding,8th left Robert Lambert.Hope perhaps some maybe on Nottstalga be interesting to see if anyone remembers me.

The only names there that ring a bell with me is David Budding who as far as I remember was elder brother to Maureen and Leslie Budding . Don't recognise her but did Jane Bramley have a younger sister called Sue ? I remember Sue Bramley from our year who was a very attractive girl and was trying to get into a showbiz career .

Same here David but this was a class a year older than us.

Taking the size of the class there must have been about 720 kids at Gedling school at that time(30 pupils a class x 6 forms a year x 4 school years)

What year was Gedling School opened?

Might not mean anything but the there are about 3 entries on Friendsreunited from 1956 . That seemed to be the earliest until I got fed up of trying to negotiate that site . Used to like that site when it started but now it just seems impossible to navigate...maybe its just me .

your not the only one david i used to use it a lot but once it changed i got fed up of trying to find the things i wantedso only use on very rare occations now. as for the photo some faces i recognize but carnt put names too.

i carnt remember ever having any class photoes taken at our school.

Did Christine Lang have a brother called Ian?

Did Robert Lambert have a brother called Michael?

Might not mean anything but the there are about 3 entries on Friendsreunited from 1956 . That seemed to be the earliest until I got fed up of trying to negotiate that site . Used to like that site when it started but now it just seems impossible to navigate...maybe its just me .

There was a lot of houses built in the Wollaton Avenue Area in the late 50s I can remember the Shelford Road area being open fields.

Lascelles Avenue ended at the junction of Rufford Avenue beyond that there were orchards(bottom of "Donkey Hill") & open fields all the way to Arnold Lane.