Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3.

There was a Mick Lambert in my year, not sure if he had a younger brother. Maureen Budding was also in my year.

Think the school opened late 50's as I had to get permission to go to the "new" Gedling school, as I actually officially lived in Arnold !

My mum didn't want me to go to the school in Arnold as my brother had gone there and in her opinion he had got in with a "wrong crowd" so I went to Gedling instead.

I attended Hazel Grove junior school 55-59.

I started in 59 and left in 63.

Had another memory, in another thread Miss Cave was mentioned, well she moved to Mapperley on Gretton road after she got married, as I used to speak to her sometimes when I visited my mum, just down the road. That would probably be late 60's or early 70's. as I was then married.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admireĀ  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those p

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one . I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting . You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question o

... on Friendsreunited from 1956 . That seemed to be the earliest until I got fed up of trying to negotiate that site . Used to like that site when it started but now it just seems impossible to navigate...maybe its just me .

You aren't the only one who gave up on that site. It used to be pretty good, but then they started all that "Memory Box" stuff which nobody understands or is interested in. It now seems completely irrelevant, and I can never find anything I'm looking for. Last time I looked at pages I'm connected with, the "latest updates" were things which had been posted 7-8 weeks before.

Did Christine Lang have a brother called Ian?

Did Robert Lambert have a brother called Michael?

Christine Lang had two brothers called Peter and Paul sadly Paul passed away and i do not know if Robert Lambert has siblings.

The only names there that ring a bell with me is David Budding who as far as I remember was elder brother to Maureen and Leslie Budding . Don't recognise her but did Jane Bramley have a younger sister called Sue ? I remember Sue Bramley from our year who was a very attractive girl and was trying to get into a showbiz career .

I know to Jane,and Angela and I had forgotten Susan,I believe she went into show biz some thing to do with contortionist as she was a fantastic gymnast.

I know to Jane,and Angela and I had forgotten Susan,I believe she went into show biz some thing to do with contortionist as she was a fantastic gymnast.

Sounds the same girl . I remember her having a role in the pantomime at the Theatre Royal whilst still at school .

• 1 month later...

Not really of any importance but can any ex Gedling-ites remember the lunch procedure in the 60s ?

I was discussing school dinners with my son today and was trying to explain how lunch was served at our school as opposed to the more modern buffet style of today.

As far as I remember we had tables in the main hall , seating about 6 kids on each and one of them was nominated as a "server" and had to go upstairs to the back of the stage , where the kitchen serving hatches were .

They would then bring down a tray with dishes of say mash, veg and whatever meat there was and each dish was passed round the table to serve yourself . Fine......... unless you were a 1st or 2nd year kid stuck on a table with a load of 4th years then you would be lucky if you got any food !

I can't remember , did the kids just queue and fill the tables so it was "pot" luck who you ended up with.

I know there were many hilarious moments when a full tray of food was dropped on the stairs coming down but the most memorable for me was when one of the lads , who was renowned for wearing a really stained and tatty blazer suddenly turned up one day in a brand new shiny blazer .

He was a server and when the signal was given for the servers to fetch the grub , there was the usual charge to get to the serving hatches first . He charged to the stairs.....unfortunately the edge of the hand rail on the stairs caught in his pocket and together with his forward momentum something had to give . Result , one brand new blazer torn asunder , practically in half and a complete audience of kids splitting their sides laughing .

Yes There was 6 or 8 to a table and we did have servers,how much dinner you got did depend on how greedy the person before you was,and if you were a bit quiet you didn't get a lot. I loved concrete pud especially with strawberry custard.

Concrete pud ? What was that ?

I only remember those corn flake tarts . I hated them and we seemed to be served that everyday .

In my time at Gedling I never stayed school dinners once ! I used to rush to the cycle sheds with my mate Derek Culley, and pedal like hell along Wollaton avenue to Perlethorpe, we had a knack of cycling from one side to the other to get almost half way up before dismounting and pushing the rest.

At the top we took the short cut along the twichell (walkway) along to I think Lacelles (spelling) avenue, then left on to Westdale and up to Mapperley tops.

We could make it home in about 15 mins flat.

Then back again with about 5 mins to spare before the bell went.

Only problem was when he weather became inclement, which it often did ! but we had our bright yellow capes and sou westers just in case.

I became very fit doing that for 4 years !

Sorry a bit OT but suddenly the memory surfaces.

School dinners, yuk I hated em from primary school !

I only stayed school dinners for one week after my mum had had my sister in June 1964 there was/is fifteen and a half years between us.(My D.O.B. 7/2/49)

I have no memories of that week of "school dinners"........... BUT I think they weren't as good as my mothers. ;)

Sounds the same girl . I remember her having a role in the pantomime at the Theatre Royal whilst still at school .

David, I think there was a girl in the year before ours (or was it the year before that) that became an opera singer?(Sadler's Wells)

Don't know whether she became a "lead singer" or just part of the chorus line.

David, I think there was a girl in the year before ours (or was it the year before that) that became an opera singer?(Sadler's Wells)

Don't know whether she became a "lead singer" or just part of the chorus line.

Really don't know .

I did go out for a short while with a girl called June Kettleborough who was in the same year as Sherrie Hewson i.e. a year below us .

I think June went to drama school with Sherrie and she did get a few TV parts but don't think she was a singer .

Hello DavidW, The concrete pudding was like shortbread and if not careful would shoot of your plate when you tried to cut it,and i still like corn flake tart,i wish i'd been on your table i could have had yours,What about the hot salad cream in jugs i bet Elf and Safety would stop that today,and my worse of all school pudding was frogspawn (not sure if it was Tapioca) hated it to this day,once at All hallows we had semolina and i stirred my jam in it,i was made to eat it stone cold,served me right for being wasteful,taught me a lesson i never forget when ever i see Tapioca or semolina.

Yes I remember the frog spawn but couldn't think if it was tapioca or semolina .

The reason I didnt like corn flake tart , was that I ate some when at Westdale juniors and promptly puked it back into the bowl I'd just eaten it from. (Sorry if you have just had your breakfast ! ) . Probably had a bug and nothing to do with the food but put me off it ever since .

So while I eat corn flakes with milk still dont like the baked tart.

• 4 weeks later...

Just searching through some old emails and found a really old one from an ex-Gedling school pal that mentioned a Nigel Smith who was in the same year as me . They thought it was the same Nigel Smith who played with an Irish band in the 60s called Andwellas Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeOUCBP4YU0

More recently looks like the same chap in the Rockin Relics and looking at the line up , the name John Landon rings a bell as being an ex Gedling pupil too .

http://www.nottinghamgigguide.com/act/Rockin_Relics

The pair of them in another band . Anyone know these bands ?

carnie we were talking about chris starbuck and the family the other week i said i could not remember youngest brothers name it was melvin her sister was pat remembered after.

i used to baby sit for a short time for a lady who lived on queens drive had baby twins and a couple of other kids but carnt remember her name this would be mid sixties .mrs harrison who lived in the bungalow next to mucky duck was my red cross commandant got me the job i was about 14 at the time used to go to her bungalo straight from school have my tea and a shower and change there then go to babysit while this lady whent to work twilight shift mrs harrisons son tony used to pick me up in his car and drop me off at home when he was about or his mum to take me home at 10pmwhen she got home.

Yes your right,I think Melvin ended up keeping the Grey Goose for a while and Frank the Manvers,not sure if Melvin kept it as well,but check that out i could be wrong,I remember Pat but me and my sister w'ere more Christines age.Its a Small world.They lived on the street that ran along the bottom of ours,think it was Kings Ave.I have been left since 1966,and that's why i enjoy reading what you all write,you take me back in time its great, i go home to see my family but i forget the road names and areas until some one writes some thing and reminds me.

think your right starbucks did live kigs not queens avenue.

I knew John Landon at school, also from a later period, Roger Lym from sons of Adam and Paddy Flint (not mentioned here) great guitarists.

John Landons dad was what we called a "wide boy" never worked a real job but wheeled and dealed, bit like Del Boy. Also did a bit of "Band management" and from memory "stripper management"

John always bragged he was going to do the same, as work was for mugs !

LizzieM wrote :

John Landon is on that video, in the red jacket. I remember him in the 60's playing with The Incrowd, think his dad was the manager. He lived off Mapperley Top so probably went to Gedling School. Roger Lymn is also there, he was in Sons of Adam, before they became Sons and Lovers. My good friend Bill Moseley is there too, he was a member of the Beatmen in the 60's. I saw Roger interviewed on TV recently because the HS2 railway line is going through his front room!

Apart from the name John Landon ,I don't know the other names , were they ex Gedling school too ?

Was Roger Lymn a member of the Lymn family who lived on Charles Close,I believe there was a girl called Pauline and a young boy called Bimbo,sadly passed away young.