Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admireĀ  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those p

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one . I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting . You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question o

no roger in that family pat was the girls name biker dyed dark black hair used to pal about with jackie who lived on stoke lane both now will be just over 60 know jackie still about but not sure about pat bimbo died fairly young was a friend of my brothers carnie and i knew pat very welll too also another family on there had daughters dawn and susan and a couple of lads too but carnt remember the last name see sue sometimes in town

sorry that should have read girls name was pat carnie

These were all people i knew well when i was single and living on the estate but i met my hubby in 1964 and married at the end of 1966,leaving Gedling,in those days we didn't have a car,so 70miles was like the other side of the earth,i'm afraid a lot of people have got lost in my memory, Nottstalga is the first time i have been able to reminisce with people about my origins as no one here would know what and where i was talking about,you seem to know the people and area i come from Babs.

told you i knew quite a few people on the estate my dad was down the pit for 52years always at gedling so he had a lot of friends up on the estate in fact we could have gone to live up there when it was first built but both mum and dad both said no so we stayed in netherfield so we knew a lot of people who lived on the estate. jimmy carret john or young sootty carlile wonder if you know them and a lot more whoes names slip my mind at the monent and thinking about the limbs think they did have older sister pauline a lot of us miners kids used to go in chesterfield arms with our mum and dads in the summer they had a great bear garden like royal oak another favorite with local families from netherfield carlton and gedling and prity central for every one

• 5 months later...

I am posting this great school photo of Gedling school , class 4T from 1957 and a list of names .

Posting on behalf of a member here called "purseglove" who is waiting to make a first

post .

I have conversed with "purseglove" on another family history message board . For clarity ,its not the actual Mr Purseglove , the head but I'll leave it to him if he wants to reveal who he is on the photo .

Apart from the teachers who all look much much younger than I remember , I don't know anyone on the photo , as I didn't start there till 1960 but there are a couple of family names that I know .

Two of them are Hicking and Dethridge who must have had siblings in my year .

Also my uncle married a Jelly in the 1920s (make up your own puns !)

Surprised me how young Maud Robinson looked !

9727753379_953ba5195a_b.jpg

9731015718_5a8a4bf42c_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi David,

What a lovely surprise to see the School photograph this morning. You are right about Maud Robinson looking so young, i have images of an older lady with a rather large mole on her face ( but it could be my memory playing tricks). I think everyone over Twenty probably seemed old to 14/15yr olds. When i joined the Gedling Secondary Modern in 1959 we had three levels: A top; G mid P; low each with three levels: 1, 2 and 3, I was in G1 all the way through. I cannot remember

the level T, i wonder if that stopped before i went there.Those children must have been among the first pupils as i don't remember the School being around much earlier.That area was where we used to go to play as youngsters, when it was all fields. I remember Mrs Davenport and also Mr Purseglove but none of the children, one or two Surnames sound familiar. Great stuff David. Got Any More? :) :)

PS, David, I just realised there are no uniforms! perhaps it was a leaving Photo.

Carni ,

I wondered about the T form too , as I only knew A G and P forms . I guess T stood for Technical ? as Mr Scott shown was a metalwork teacher when I was there .

Whether "purseglove" has any more photos I am not sure but I don't mind posting them if he emails them to me .

OOOOOh Great,

Much appreciated, The only photograph of school that i have is the original one posted somewhere on here by Bazzer and again later by myself, I had none until he sent me that one.

Thank you David

Excuse my ignorance and failing memory but is this the school on Priory road or the school on Westdale avenue. I attend both having recently (1956) returned from Australia where I had been living. I attend the one on Westdale for about three months before transferring to Priory road.

Matt, this was Gedling Sec Mod.and was on Wollaton Ave. Gedling , right in the middle of the estate .

The playing fields at the back facing Gedling pit, just up the road from the Grey Goose pub .

Thank you very much for the info. I have now seen the photo above and looked in vain for me. sad I know but I did see my brother on the snap so knew straight away which school it was.

QUITE A FEW OF THOSE PUPILS LIVED IN NETHERFIELD I KNEW THE DETHRIDGE FAMILY VERY WELL AND THE ALONZOS IN FACT ELONAS YOUNGER SISTER MARIA WAS A FRIEND OF MINE SAW HER JUST LAST WEEK IN TOWN TREVOR EVANS LIVED ON DEBIL ST , THERE WAS ALSO A FAMMILY CALEED JELLY LIVED ON DUNSTON ST SANDRA MAY HAVE BEEN ONE OF THEM THE ALONZOES LIVED DUNSTON ST TOO EILEEN DETHRIDGE LIVED ON CURSON ST NOT FAR FROM THEM SO THEY MAY HAVE ALL BEEN FRIENDS AND GONE TO GEDLING SCHOOL TOGETHER

Thanks Babs ,

Carole Detheridge was in our year starting from 1960 onwards , so probably related .

Sorry Andy can't remember him .

Only Richard Hallam I remember , played in a jazz band with my brother but would probably be 10 years older than us .

Hi David and Bubblewrap,

I was at the Gedling School from 1959 to 1963 and G1 all the way through, What class were you two in? Does either of you remember the Maths teachers name,?he was quite strict but i think he was a nice man. Not keen on Mr Godfrey, he once dragged me back into class by my pony tail for slamming the door.

Carni we were a year behind you . I started in A2 and then A1 . Mr Godfrey was a Geography teacher wasn't he ? Will have to drag old my old reports to check .

Mr Wilson took us for maths as well as music if I remember correctly . Mr Fowler may also have been maths , though I see in an earlier post Bubblwrap says he took English ?

HaHa mere Kids, I hope you looked up to us superiors, I did think Mr Godfrey took History, but that shows how much notice i took. All the girls had a crush on Mr Wilson except me. My sis was in Mr Fowlers class, she says he wasn't very nice, but i never had a lesson with him so i don't know. I did used to like English with Maud, but that was my favorite subject anyway.

Oh yes , had to look up to the elders !

I still remember the terror of the first day at school and the threat of being thrown down "the bank" by the elder kids . The bank was that steep bit that went down to the sports field .

Fortunately I was always a good runner !

Yes, I do remember the bank, we used to play Hockey down there, my friend and I were called the mud larks because we loved to roll in the mud until we were covered in it, problem was it was so thick it wouldn't wash off. I also remember how grown up the top class girls and boys looked to me on my first day there, they didn't throw us new girls down the bank but just looked at us in such a way as to put us in our place.

Ha Ha ! memories again, I attended Gedling from 59-63, was in A stream (1A1,2A2,3A3,4A4) our teachers were the french teacher Mrs Lemunier (spelling) and Mr Greenwood, I hated him, but the bugger moved up with us from the second year so never left his class.

Yes Mr Godfrey was History, a great shot with a blackboard rubber ! Mrs Davenport - handicrafts, Scotty metalwork, Mr Daft - woodwork.

Mr Purseglove was the headmaster and Maud was the second in command when I was there, then I think another teacher took the reins, Mr Spencer he was a sadistic barsteward I do know, he gave another mate of mine a blackeye, by slapping him for arguing with him ! wouldn't get away with it today though.

My mate was Roy Leach so probably a younger sibling of Susan Leach, their parents or family ran Leach's dairy in Burton Joyce.

Roy had an old car in a paddock at his home and we used to drive it round and round the field.

More friends were Derek Culley (he had a younger sister Sandra) Pete Downs, Jim Welton, some girls, Mary Marshall, Sheila Lancaster, forgot her first name but something Fearn, Dougie fearns daughter from the Hardware store on Westdale lane, all us boys fancied her like hell as she was one of the first girls to start to look like a young lady, if you know what I mean.

And the Greens from Greens garage, bottom of Westdale.

I hated school, but when I think back they really were the good old days. so long as it wasn't your turn to get thrown down the bank. :-)

I hated school, but i think it was my fault, I lost interest and got so far behind that I couldn't catch up. I know that now, but didn't at the time. If i had the chance again i would definitely not waste my learning years. I do remember Mr Spencer coming and he was not a very popular person at all. Perhaps Mr Purseglove was too lenient with us all so they looked for someone with a stronger character to take control. Rule by fear!