Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3.

I remember the forge. My school mate Keith Adams lived just round the corner. I also remember the church. I was once told that a steeplejack had fallen from the spire and smashed his head on a tombstone and now haunted the place. Always gave me the willies walking through or close by of an evening.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admireĀ  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those p

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one . I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting . You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question o

Just found this today from Gedling School 1964 .

The speech-day programme and a list of those kids that got prizes . May bring back some memories to the Gedling-ites here .

I see one Richard Hallam is mentioned that Bubblewrap wrote about last week .

11055004976_f394c6b61d_c.jpg

11055085653_1753b94a81_c.jpg

11055006646_20e3cac64b_c.jpg

• Upvote 1

The lady that owned the chippy at the bottom of Westdale Lane was Doug Fearn's aunt.

Andrea was the owners grand daughter according to my mother (spoke to her yesterday by phone)

Off ti see mother next week will be gone for about four days

Taking my wellies with me as Wales is a bit wet at this time of the year. :(

• Upvote 1

Recognise one person on there - my brother's best mate, David Hubbard. They're still close pals, 50 years later.

And there's quite a few surnames that are familiar from when I was at Carlton le Willows, presumably younger siblings.

Yes B' Wrap , colour award for footy . Though I don't actually remember what a colour award was !

We did win a very important county schools cup-final that year , had to go somewhere like Kirkby in Ashfield to play it , with very few supporters with us .

We were the underdogs but beat whatever team it was , in front of a big home crowd , a shock result .

I was only an average mid-field player but scored a fluke "wonder" goal in that final . Their goalie kicked the ball out and it landed in front of me . I really meant to punt it up to our forwards but somehow it just flew off my boot into the top corner over a dispairing goalie . In my memory seems like a 30 yarder but it was probably less but thats why I got a colour award that year .

I think all those that got a colour award for footy also played for Parliament Street Methodists football team , even though none of us ever went there ! Can't even remember where our home pitch was . May have been somewhere in Colwick .

Only name I really recognise is Richard Priestly, but I left in 63, his dad ran Priestly's garden nursery on Westdale lane and had a market stall in the old Central market.

He was a mate of a good friend of mine Phil Lovejoy, who live on Digby Ave at the time.

The nersery was finally sold to become old peoples units, I know the family did not want to sell but were made an offer they could not refuse including some more land somewhere but cannot remember where for the life of me ! maybe down on the Fosse A46 ?

Phil and I actually bought a very old Morris van they had had from new, we got it very cheap, big thing with split windscreen, we had big ideas at the time and wanted a van for a project we had, but the van was so old that spares were unobtainable so we scrapped it !

David,

Thanks for sharing those school records, i noticed the date is 1964 which is the year after i left. There are so many names on there that I know, even though they were a year younger i would know them from living in the same area. i saw the name Windrass, I was a good friend of two of his sisters, and only lost touch when I moved from Nottingham. Great Stuff David.

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting .

You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question of when the school opened . Well the official opening anyway , May 1958 . Pupils may have started at a different time .

Further down is a picture of 4P .

Apart from the teachers I don't recognise any of those pupils names and purseglove will have to say what year the photo is from .

Just seeing the picture of the front of the school and the pathway to it , brought back memories and even brought back the smell as you walked through those front doors !

Great stuff , thanks again purseglove

11153610735_ac579ef72c_c.jpg

11153653116_cac174ca93_b.jpg

11153666634_b2bc504f5f_c.jpg

11153794054_ba85e45c9a_b.jpg

11153669044_947d826bc6_z.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thank you David and Purseglove for the photo's above.

It's wonderful to see these little treasures you keep turning up. My sister would have been in 4P when she left but i can't remember if it was P1 or P2. She left in 1962, she is not on the photograph nor do i recognize anyone who lived on the estate, but i would not have seen these people possibly since 1962ish. David Bass and Anne Sampson sound familiar to me. Hope you find some more, I had no photographs or memorabilia until you all started turning things up, Many Thanks.

If I remember the bit(lower) of the building to the right was the kitchen.

Nice to see the "old school" badge David.

Opened in 1958 so it was quite new when we started there in 1960

Another memory that hit me seeing the entrance photo, was the morning tuck shop that they used to set up, selling chocolate wafers, which were one of my favourite's.

A few of the names are familiar but maybe from younger siblings from later years ?

Great photo's though and thanks to Purseglove for the memories.

Another memory thats hit me was sitting in one of Mr Greenwoods boring algebra lessons in an upstairs classroom, watching the gedling pit "spoil tip" buckets wind their way along to the tipping area, then came slowly swinging back empty, only to catch a sore ear when he came up behing me and clipped me for day dreaming and not paying attention !

Then humiliating me in front of the class, and telling me there was no wonder I was no good at maths ! and if I didnt take notice I would never be good at anything !

I hated maths at school as it just seemed pointless, but when I went to Peoples college for trade school it was like I had descovered it all over again ! as I know could see a reason for algebra and maths in general, and then I became quite good at it (maths that is)

I still enjoy maths and problem solving to this day.

• Upvote 2

Did Mr Greenwood also take R.E. lessons too.

Yes I was also guilty af watching the spoil buckets at gedling pit.

P.s. we were too "thick" for algebra in the "P" streems all we got was long devision/multiplication & I cant do lond devision to this do(thank goodness for calculators)

But I can still reckon in Ā£.s.d/pounds & ounces/feet & inches :)

Yes mate, he did R.E. too,

We had the bugger as our form teacher for 3 years ! Mrs Lemunier for the first year.

Bubblewrap,

Your not alone with not being able to do Long Division, I never ever got it and in the end I gave up, I lost interest completely so it just went down hill from there. Lots of things I learnt at school have been no use to me, my best being mental arithmetic, but at school I didn't have the confidence to put my hand up with the answer. For 10yrs in the 80s I had a 'Beer Off' and my mental arithmetic was put to good use. Algebra was way above me and another one I never learn. No problem as far as I can see in the life I have led I have never needed it. I can't even remember what it was or how I would need it!. :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just found this forum,and seem to know a few names that have popped up on it.I left Gedling School in 1963 ( I think )...ended in Mr Wilsons class,

Mr Taylor did P.E for the boys and Miss Cave the girls.Mr Daft Woodwork and Mr Scott Metalwork,there was a Mr Brewin I think,or somthing like that,

I really cannot remember to much.Me and Mr Fowler had a run in one day ! I started in the A classes and ended in the G I think,so that tells you somthing

of my great schooling ?

My mates were Jim Evans,Geoff Russel, Richard Mabbott and Roger Street.There was David Lindley,Dave Redish,FLOG,cannot remember his real name

Norman ............? The girls were Pauline Hallam,Diane Oliver,Gillian Rawden,sorry just cannot quite remember the names,but it is over 50 years ago !

I have done quite well over the years (apart from a divorce) and a couple of hic ups.Enjoying retirement now and go on many holidays abroad.

But I am still a very keen motorcycle rider,and next year is my 50th Isle-Of-Man TT.

Cheers.

Hi Edgar,

Welcome, I was in G1 all the way through school, i don't recognise any of the boys and girls names, so were you in G2? The school photo that you see here on Nottstalga is 4G1, i think it is 1962/3 when i left, not sure.

There are a few people on site who went to Gedling School, so i'm sure you will see posts from them soon. Have fun.

Hi Edgar, welcome .

A few names are familiar , Dick Mabbutt and Dave Lindley but I don't remember how I know them unfortunately .

Also you mention Gillian Rawden , don't know her but we had a Mick Rawden in our year who lived next door to my Uncle on Redland Grove. It used to be a bit confusing as we also had an Alan Rawdin in the same class .

Mr Brewin has been mentioned before . He taught English and was very short tempered , fortunately I don't think he was there for that long . We all dreaded his lessons .

diane oliver is a friend of mine. she would have left at christmas 1961. she has a brother david, 13 months older than her. i bet he was at the same school. diane lives in woodborough.