Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3.

Any one know or remember a girl from Mapperley called Carol de Cara. Used to pal around with girls from Gedling School back in the very late 50s.?

Yes I knew her,she was about 4 years older than me,I used to be very good mates with her brother John,who I have been trying to find for years ?

They lived on Northcliffe Ave off Kenrick Road,and Carol went to Carlton-Le-Willows.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admireĀ  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those p

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one . I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting . You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question o

Hi Edgar

Are you sure you left in 63 and not 62 ? I know all those names and they were one year above me, I left in 63. Richard Mabbot was a school bully and Roger Street, but I got to know them after school and was then mates with them.

Geoff Russell (Russels Bakery on Mapperley tops) was a nice bloke, and Jim Evans, the doctors son from just around the corner at the top of Westdale lane.

Know some of the girls names too.

John Decara was in my class in the A stream I think, knew him well, he went to work with his dad's Terazzo flooring company and eventually ran the business.

Another good friend of mine at school, but a year lower than me, was Ralph Sims, again from Mapperely tops, later, he had a nasty accidend on his Vespa and dislocated his hip causing major nerve damage, so then had a very bad limp, vanity took its place after several years, and later he went into hospital to have some remedial surgery to try and cure the limp and he died with complications from the operation.

He too was a lovely bloke and left a young family too early, he worked at Luxfer in Colwick.

He had several sisters at Gerdling too, one was Dawn Sims, I actually bumped into her a few years back visiting her mum in the old peoples place on Westdale lane.

Also another mate Will Gardner with whom I became good after school friends too. We were a trio, Will, Ralph and I.

We were all out together at Gedling miners welfare and met 3 girls one night, on of which was to become my wife a couple of years later and we are still happily married now.

bloke

banjo48,

Not sure could have left in 1962,new all the people you have said ! plus used to walk or bus down Westdale lane with Barry Spackman,and Andrew Waterhouse who I think went to Cavendish.I then went to Digby College.And I used to live on Bennett Road Mapperley,and go to Gedling Minors welfare !!

Used to play football with John DeCara he was my best mate,and lived only 100 yards from me.I was best man at his wedding.

Edgar

Yes more names and distant memories ! I was good mates with Spako (Barry Spackman) and his cousin Chris Mee (died recently) I worked with Andy Waterhouse on BT before emigrating, he was a cable jointer, I was a fitter business phone systems.

Also knew Andies wife from the miners welfare days ! she and another girl were always together there. We used to call them Ginny and Flo. Ginny married Andy and they lived somewhere off Westdale last I heard.

Think they went to Carlton le Willows too.

What number on Bennet road did you live at ?

I must know you but cannot place the name, you are obviously a motorbiker too, I've still got the addiction and had bikes all my adult life !

Bought my first ever motorbike from Barry Spackman, an old Sun 197cc Villiers 2 stroke powered job, always remember the rego RAL617, I used to blast around Breckhill fields annoying the neighbours !

It developed a cracked crankcase and I stripped it down with the intention of a repair but never did it, and when I cleared my mum's old house out in 2005 all the bits were still in her basement and went to the tip !

I run a BMW R1200GS now.

Yes I knew her,she was about 4 years older than me,I used to be very good mates with her brother John,who I have been trying to find for years ?

They lived on Northcliffe Ave off Kenrick Road,and Carol went to Carlton-Le-Willows.

Any idea what she did after leaving school. I had the idea that she wanted to become a journalist.

It has been a long time ! I also lived only 200 yards from Andy Waterhouse,he came to the TT with me once Andy and Gin and me and Paula.

And sad that it is,I have been every year from 1964.2014 is my 50th TT.

I lived at 103 Bennet Road,and another pal of mine Garth Woodward lived just down the road.

I run a Honda FireBlade and a Kawasaki ZZR1400,I also have a Mike Hailwood Honda Race Replica.

And have met up again with the Nottingham Aces at the White Hart at Lenton.

Who would have believed it that after 50 years we would meet up here from different sides of the world !

Still cannot put a face to your name though, I did know Garth too. Another lad that hung around with us was I think Alex Anderson from near the top of Bennet road.

We all used to hang around outside the library on corner of Westdale Mapperley tops in the early 60's. Can you remember the local plod who used to pedal around on his Raleigh pushbike ? always come and have a few words with us and make sure we were up to nothing.

On my bucket list to visit the TT races on the IOM. I envy you !

My mum and dad went on their honeymoon there and mum had lots of photo's of the place in her collections.

Would love to bring my bike over and tour with it, but not really practical, due to transport costs etc. but will get there hopefully when we come over to holiday again.

Love your bikes collection, our son had a Fireblade and then a Suzuki GSXR 1000, and a couple of KTM's, he had a few near misses, he sticks with his cars now, he lives in sherwood vale still in Nottm.

I lived in Nottingham for 58 years,now live in Ilkeston, been here nearly 9 years.

I have traveled a lot in the last 8 years,going away abroad about 3 times a year plus the Isle-Of-Man.

Just paid a deposit for a 10 week holiday to Oz and New Zealand,stopping for 4 days in Hong Kong on the way out,

and a week on Fiji on the way home,my trip of a lifetime.

Did you know a guy called Paul Ayre ?

Where are you living now ?

Greetings Members! I was at Gedling from 1963 to 68. I shared many of your favourite teachers; George Godfrey was my form-master. Carni got off lightly by the sound of it, I've seen lads reduced to tears in his class.

For all those girls who had a crush on Dave Wilson, one eventually cornered him and they were I believe married. I'm sure they were still together up to about 2 years ago, when I last saw Dave Wilson who by then looked rather frail. He was a particularly good maths teacher and musician.

During my time at Gedling we started a Brass Band, which wasn't too bad.

Maud Robinson was still assistant head and received a lot of tormenting from my year and the following one. I believe she eventually succumbed and spent some time at Mapperley Hospital .

Considering the reminiscences of the less politically correct methods of discipline used by some staff during the 60's they didn't do too bad a job of education in the end. A lot better than the results of the current education system. Bring back streaming!!

Welcome Doug and thanks for your memories .

I've had this picture for some time on my computer . It was sent by a friend many years ago but have not posted it previously , as its not good enough quality to re-size unfortunately . I don't have the original .

It shows what was either 4A1 or the 5th year , so either 64 or 65 , with form teacher Mr Wilson on the far left .

Next to him I think is Michael Rawden , then Richard Bartlett . 5th from left is Ian Hughes , (best man at my wedding) , 8th from left is Paul Hicking . I'm second from right in the days when I had hair ! Unfortunately not enough detail to pick out any others .

9724521364_2b939511c7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi DAVIDW,

Its nice to see another photograph from Gedling School, possibly a year or two after i left but i will get my magnifying glass in the morning and see if i recognise anyone. It will be interesting to see Mr Wilsons face again, I never knew what the girls saw in him. Got any more?

Carni , I doubt you will be able to make much out , even with a magnifier , I have tried .

Mr Wilson I suppose was approachable and had a sense of humour and had boyish looks with his floppy head of hair . I remember him once saying how he could have booked The Beatles for our school , end of year disco !

I think a couple of the girls in the middle of the 2nd row are Mary Strong and Marilyn Marks .

Don't have any more photos , apart from one I have just found , of a couple of individuals on a school trip to Chatsworth . That will have to wait till after Christmas now . First lot of visitors have arrived and its full-on with our 3 year old grand-daughter .

• 2 weeks later...

I never attended this school as I passed the "eleven plus and was sent to Eastwood and then county schools. But I did live on Phoenix farm Estate. The reason that I am writing this is that before leaving Gedling, and by default , Nottingham, I spent my sixteenth year working in Luxfers after a short stint at Marshalls.

During my time at Luxfers I began a friendship with a big burly guy known as Malc Leckonby who took a girl whom I had a crush on, and married her. He later joined the police force and moved to Newark where he spent time in the Police force there. I managed just once getting round to see him but he was asleep and I never ever had the opportunity to meet up with him ever again

I was wondering if anybody on this site ever met him or knows anything about his demise.?.

• 1 month later...

I didn't frequent Gedling much, but remember two girls who I knocked about with. Kathy Winstanley who I met at a friends flat. A very pretty girl who I believe was a hairdresser, gave me a good trim. She lived on Bessecar Ave. Mary McKay whose parents ran Waverley Ave Grocery Stores. Met her in Yates's , she used to date a mate of mine, had very long multi coloured hair. Beautiful.

Tony Ceriati, also lived on Bessecar. Worked with him at Plessey's till late 69 or early 70's.

• 4 months later...

I was there 63/68 - what a difference to education today! Remember Mr Godfrey, Miss Robinson, the french teacher and Mr Wilson who always ahd a group of girls around him! Anyone know Angela Pinkstone, Rita Osbourne, Jean Wagg, Diane Waller, Jane Lawrence?

• 1 month later...

carnie we were talking about chris starbuck and the family the other week i said i could not remember youngest brothers name it was melvin her sister was pat remembered after.

A Simon Starbuck was in my class I went to Gedling 1964-1969

• 5 months later...

Had an hour to spare so just re read this thread again, and looking at the photo on DavidW's #137 posting, I have found my first real date !

Her name was Elizabeth Healey, glasses front row, I mentioned before in this thread, a girl called "Flora" Healey, well her name was Elizabeth I recall now, but she always called herself Flora for some reason.

We met at a party again when I was just sweet 16, and shall we say as the song says (that I cannot remember the name of), I became a man.

Oh to be 16 again ! but know what we know now.