Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admireĀ  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those p

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one . I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting . You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question o

Bubblewrap, cannot honestly say, I remember mr Healey the teacher, but don't know, I know Flora lived at the top of Perlethorpe avenue, as I used to occasionally walk with my bike up to her house with her, I was very immature then so only chatted and then said see you later and pedaled off home.

Then met her a year later at this party on Gordon road, at a house rented by another two girls we used to meet at Gedling miners welfare, one had the nick name Flit and the other Ginny (Ginny had ginger hair), so did Flora.

Gosh if my wife reads this I'll be in the doghouse !

Met my future wife at Gedling miners too !

• 11 months later...

Help. Are there any Gedlingites out there who can solve something for me. It's driving me crazy. The School houses at Gedling Comprehensive; was there three or four. I have got Bannister, Hilary and Scott. I feel as though there were four, but i'm stumped. I was in Bannister. Bubblewrap, DavidW, Banjo, SueB, and all you other Gedlingites I bet one of you will know?

Apologies if I have asked before?

Campbell -green colour

Hillary -yellow

Scott-red

Bannister -blue

I was a yellow belly !

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Have enjoyed reading the comments on this thread. Contributors may like to have a look at Gedling School Photo - 64/65 which I have just posted. I know at least one nottsalgian who will recognise himself....can't spot the white wisp of hair though!!

• Upvote 1

Ok so it is me ! Busted ! My white streak fell out long ago ha ha . ! Need a clue to work out who "paradiddle is !

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure sidda what happened to Marilyn .

The only Ron I knew at Gedling was Ron Maddern who later I believe was a head teacher at Cavo .

One Ronnie Madden....there's only one Ronnie Madden..!!

Posted Image

But then there was Sue Madden!!

(Photograph taken in August 1963 at Cologne)

By the way, have spotted someone in Bazzer's photo, eighth from the right - that's Dusty Springfield!

• Upvote 1

Wow anymore of that European tour ? I had group photo outside the school before we got on the coach but it succumbed to being stored in a damp garage unfortunately .

• 3 weeks later...

Whaaaa? "Thumper Wilson" !!! ?

I remember scoring that 30 yarder . But it was a complete fluke . It was supposed to be a punt upfield for the forwards but somehow shot in the top corner . My fizzog on the shield is puzzling too .

I knew we were underdogs .

As for singing "Shine your brasses with brasso" on the coach......sounds completely unlike me and I don't recall the song either !!

I had forgotten who we beat so thanks for posting that .

O.k. David, might have made up the 'Thumper' bit but I'm sure we used to sing one or two rude ditties when we were travelling to away games.

The question now is how many of the team can you name. I think Steve Wheldon might have been in goal and Keith Green I'm sure was the captain. Also, Johnny Harker springs to mind but I can't remember what he looked like, only that he was a tough one!

The old school is looking a bit sad now and may be closing at the end of this year. There are also plans to build around a thousand new homes on the Gedling Colliery site so the landscape as we knew it will be no more. Keep posting!

Agree with Steve Wheldon and Keith Green . Used to play with them for Parliament Street Meths too .

Agree with Andy about Michael Morris and maybe Kenneth Barker .

David Green definitely .

Pete Henson was a great winger .

Johnny Marriott ?

Trevor Dickin had a spell in goal . Peter Dicken ?

(Brian ?) Lees ?

Was Andrew Marshall a footballer ?

Kenneth Barker ? Was he a full back ? I really can't remember him playing unfortunately .

Nothing to do with footy but I was told he had a stationery shop on Mapperley top at one time .

As previously mentioned, some of the footballers from Gedling also played for Parliament Street Meths. Their home ground was at Colwick crossings and was called Woodview. There were two pitches with the smaller pitch forming a tee with the main pitch. The changing room building also contained a big communal bath.

Looking back I don't know how we did it but often we would play for the school in the morning and then PSM in the afternoon with a quick 'boot clean' and a bit of lunch in between. I seem to remember also, the girls at Gedling providing refreshments after the game and sometimes if we were lucky we'd catch the chip van or Mr Whippy on the way home.

It's a pity we don't have a photo of the Willett Shield team to help with the names but here is a rather grainy newspaper photograph which at least shows a few of the players.

PSM_zpsx47ahhz9.jpg

• Like 1

Wouldn't have recognised anyone from that newspaper clip apart from Dave Green .

Funnily enough the name of Trevor Chaplin just came into my head this morning (before seeing this). Is that him on front row ? I know he was at Westdale , did he go to Gedling or Cavo ?