Gedling School Class Photo - 62/3.

With reference to post #187 - The photo shows Ronnie Madden on a 1963 school trip to Germany & Switzerland. I could be wrong but I think this might have been the first trip abroad by the Trent bus company.  Here is another photo to hopefully bring back some memories.

Hberg03_zps2g5uuci5.jpg

These two photo's would have been taken August 4th/5th in Heidelberg and the only two people I can put names to are Philip Shaw on the right and next to him Mr Davies.  His lady-friend/wife is next to him and the dude in the middle with the cigarette was from the hotel and acted as our guide.  It might be Carol Barnes to the right of him but I'm not sure on that. The group was made up from different classes and from different years so names don't readily spring to mind.  

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admire  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those p

Newbie here and struggling to read all the different threads so I'm bumping this one . I was at Gedling from 60-65 . Mr. Wilson was my form teacher for the last few years . We were the first year to

Have to give massive thanks to member purseglove from this board who sent these to me for posting . You could nearly call this the "mother-lode" of pictures and it also answers an earlier question o

29160082472_82fe900636_b.jpgGreat photo....beats my out of focus effort !

We were in an annex to that building that must have been either a kitchen or bakery previously . There was a hatch and when we prised it open we could see the teachers smoking and drinking in the adjoining room . I've mentioned it before but John Frudd and Philip Shaw and others burst in one night to our room and pelted us with black grapes that were growing up the side of the building . Grape juice made a right mess on the bed sheets !

As for that other picture I don't remember going to a castle at all !

• 1 year later...

I have just read the sad news of the death of Roger Bannister. Though I am not a sport fan of any kind I admire  people who dedicate themselves and accomplish great things and Roger was one of those people. His name has stayed in my memory for another reason personal to me and other old Gedling School pupils, of which I know there are a few of us on NS.

We had four houses at Gedling School and I'm sure our NS members will all remember which one they belonged in. Mine was ( as I imagine you have guessed) Roger Bannister, our colour  was Blue. He was the last surviving man that our house names were dedicated to.

Names and House Colours

Robert Scott 1868-1912, Red. Donald Cambell, 1921-1967, Yellow. Edmund Hillary 1919-2008,  Green. Roger Bannister 1929-2018, Blue.

Well Done to them all.

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:03 PM, Paradiddle said:

PSM_zpsx47ahhz9.jpg

Third from left would be John Haberla if my memory/spelling is correct, so a typo above.  Polish parents and had an older sister Yolande.

2 hours ago, Socram said:

...... Polish parents and had an older sister Yolande.

As I said previously I played in that team for a few games but don't remember John Haberla but somewhere have a photo with Yolande in it. She went out with one of my pals at Digby College . Lovely girl .

• 5 months later...
On 5/31/2013 at 12:40 AM, DAVIDW said:

LizzieM wrote :

John Landon is on that video, in the red jacket. I remember him in the 60's playing with The Incrowd, think his dad was the manager. He lived off Mapperley Top so probably went to Gedling School. Roger Lymn is also there, he was in Sons of Adam, before they became Sons and Lovers. My good friend Bill Moseley is there too, he was a member of the Beatmen in the 60's. I saw Roger interviewed on TV recently because the HS2 railway line is going through his front room!

Apart from the name John Landon ,I don't know the other names , were they ex Gedling school too ?

Niger Smith & Mick Noble were also in the Incrowd

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 11/20/2013 at 11:21 PM, Purseglove said:
On 11/16/2013 at 9:17 AM, DAVIDW said:

Dethridge who must have had siblings in my year .

Also my uncle married a Jelly in the 1920s (make up your own puns !)

Surprised me how young Maud Robinson looked !

9727753379_953ba5195a_b.jpg

9731015718_5a8a4bf42c_b.jpg

PS: That should read Terry Briggs not Nriggs

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BRIAN CASSIDY said:

PS: That should read Terry Briggs not Nriggs

Thanks for the corrections Brian .

Thought Nriggs was an unusual name !

If my memory is correct I posted this photo on behalf of Ted Stevenson who provided these names .

Though I was a couple of years younger than this class , some of the surnames are familiar .....they may have had younger siblings . 

Detheridge and Hicking were names in our year and maybe Chamberlain .

Marguerite Hicking was one of my bridesmaids in 1966.  I worked at Harlow Wood with her from 1960 - 62 and then at Leicester Royal Infirmary.  She did have younger siblings ... 1 or 2 brothers and a sister called Penny.  We still correspond at Christmas, and we visited her a couple of years ago.

; THOUGHT HER SURNAME WAS HICKLING BUT IT IS A LONG LONG TIME AGO.I THINK I MADE A MISTAKE WITH A NAME IT WAS JOY CHAMBERLAIN.THEY ONLY STAYED FOR ONE YEAR MARGEURITE HICKLING? GOING ON TO CARLTON LE WILLOWS GRAMMAR SCHOOL.

IWOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF ANY IN THE PHOTO ARE STILL AROUND,WE ARE GETTING A BIT LONG IN THE TOOTH. I KNOW TREVOR MARTLEW AND TONY BINCH HAVE PASSED AWAY.

Marguerite is definitely still around as she wrote me a letter this last Christmas!!  She's well  and happy and still lives in Gedling..

1 hour ago, BRIAN CASSIDY said:

IWOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF ANY IN THE PHOTO ARE STILL AROUND,

Ted Stevenson who sent the photo lived in Perth , Australia. 

Just checked on the Gedling Facebook page and he died not that long after sending the school photos .

I knew it was (George) ted who sent the photo from his wording as purseglove, so sorry to hear of his passing. by the way the photo is not the 4t class but the 2nd year, about 6 of them left at the end of that year,but a few others joined the next year.i do not think there is a class photo of 4t which ended july 1959.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2013 at 5:48 PM, carni said:

Thank you David and Purseglove for the photo's above.

It's wonderful to see these little treasures you keep turning up. My sister would have been in 4P when she left but i can't remember if it was P1 or P2. She left in 1962, she is not on the photograph nor do i recognize anyone who lived on the estate, but i would not have seen these people possibly since 1962ish. David Bass and Anne Sampson sound familiar to me. Hope you find some more, I had no photographs or memorabilia until you all started turning things up, Many Thanks.

the photo shown is the second year which eventually became 4p(practical) on the fourth year,the other photo is also the second year which became 4t(technical).these classes left in 1959.these were the first classes o when the school opened in1956. I could go on a lot more on those first years but I will leave at that.if anybody would have any more questions I will try to help.

• Like 2