Have put this in 1960's, also applied to 1950's but anyone recall how there was a "plague" of factory fires in this era? esp in Basford area, whether accidental or insurance jobs I don't know! only don't seem so common now? that said seeing as we hardly have any factories maybe not so unusual!

Ayup Ashley,

Thats a very good point, I think with modern technology and the insurance companies looking for some one/some thing to blame for the fires it's not so easy to claim for a "self inflicted one", also I think the insurance premiums are lower the more fire protection you have installed, just a thought

Rog

ones that spring to mind were Sketchleys on Fox Grove, Bairns Wear Barlock rd, Lindley and Lindley Bobber mill, Sisson and Parker Palm Street and a monster one in the meadows, a former British Waterways Wharehouse

There was also a big factory fire at Long Eaton.

Name unknown.

More recently the Furniture factory on Outskirts of Netherfield?

Ian will know the name?

Most dramatic industrial fire I've ever seen was when the Invicta Plastics factory went up at Oadby, Leics (where I was then living) in 1981. The heat was so intense that the paint on cars parked 250 yards distant was scorched off.

Tragically, three women workers died in the inferno...

Cheers

Robt P.

• 8 years later...
11 hours ago, iandawson said:

TBI might recall a large fire at Moons Garage..'69-'70?

No Ian, just slightly before my time, I was there 1971-2. The garage was no longer, just the petrol sales and the car-wash, a bit of a scruffy place. I think the other side had been sold to the police.

Great memories of Moons and then 1971 the traffic division went upstairs... great times..was allowed up there..most bobbies were family men themselves... those Triumph TC 2000 were rapid .

The fire happened at nighttime...Moons became popular for car washing.. the entrance on NS st.opposite YWCA.

That's the one Cliff,TBI will also recall behind that right hand door was a long slope in which a gang hand washed your motor and exit opposite the fire station? The black gate to the left bears a plaque to a lovely man ...had one of those houses...about 3 stone ago!!

That's right Ian, the cars then went through a rinser, a bloke in oil-skins either side soaped 'em all over, then through another rinser, then through a huge blower and finally shammied off by another two blokes. Took five minutes.

Apart from the coppers constantly coming through, some lovely motors were regulars, Rover P5's, big Volvos, Jags, Mercs and a gorgeous silver and pale green metallic Silver Cloud run by a very dapper consultant at the General. Lousy work though and never got a tip off any of the bastards.    

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2008 at 4:54 PM, mick2me said:

There was also a big factory fire at Long Eaton.

Name unknown.

More recently the Furniture factory on Outskirts of Netherfield?

Ian will know the name?

The factory fire in long Eaton was the Lipton tea factory this I know cos my wife's parents lived next door they lost their house too.

• 3 months later...

There was a massive fire at Swiss Mills (lace makers) in Beeston in 1984. It was said to be one of the most ferocious ever in the county.  I remember listening to a report on Radio Trent when the chief fire office said, “When we got there it was going ever so well.” Which I thought was a somewhat strange thing to say, almost as if he was admiring it. The cause was stated to be arson, but I can’t remember if anyone was ever charged.