Ainsley Estate

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Happy Jack. I hope that your posts are going to be as good as your last two. I had to smile when I saw your name because it brought back memories of when I had lots of foster k

For me, the 'Ainsley Estate' thread sums up what Nottstalgia is all about and what a great site it is. On the 3rd November 2008, riff, who lived on the Ainsley Estate until 1994, asked if anybody had

Hi Radford Boy..I lived at 63 Vale Crescent South from 1961 to 70...Ann Crowley and her sister lived next door to me and John Dudley lived next door but one..knew Russ as well..he was in the police fo

• 4 months later...

My Aunt/Uncle lived at 44 (or 45) Vale Cresent North, in the 50's & 60's, family name was White: cousins; Phillip, Paul, Deliah + another female cousin..........name forgotten.........

• 5 months later...

My Aunt/Uncle lived at 44 (or 45) Vale Cresent North, in the 50's & 60's, family name was White: cousins; Phillip, Paul, Deliah + another female cousin..........name forgotten.........

I lived on Vale Crescent North during the 50's and remember the Whites very well. Paul was a childhood friend - do you know how I could contact him?

They lived at number 47 and his father was Jack

• 1 year later...

!englandflag! Hi phils,

Lost touch with my cousins Paul & Phil, both now live away from Notts, one is a Uni' lecturer living in Scotland. My brother may have more details, I'll email him & let you know..............

Hi Radford Boy..I lived at 63 Vale Crescent South from 1961 to 70...Ann Crowley and her sister lived next door to me and John Dudley lived next door but one..knew Russ as well..he was in the police force for years.

pete c...no longer riding a vespa....

• Upvote 1

Sorry Kath :)

Russell Palethorpe does not ring a bell with me.

However I do know that the mother of Pete Bradshaw lived there.

And perhaps Pete would have lived there as a kid.

Pete was a rugby player and started as bobby with Notts,

working his way through the ranks to possibly Chief Inspector?

I was informed just before Christmas that Pete died only recently.

Hi Radford Boy..I lived at 63 Vale Crescent South from 1961 to 70...Ann Crowley and her sister lived next door to me and John Dudley lived next door but one..knew Russ as well..he was in the police force for years.

pete c...no longer riding a vespa....

Hi, I seem to recall that the guy who lived across the road was an apprentice plumber. Is that you? Trish and Joan Barks lived on the other side of you and Lesley Camm lived next door to them.

The Bentley family lived the other side of me Radford Boy..Mick, Tony and Susan..Tony was an apprentice plumber..don't know the Barks or Lesley Camm..other family names I do remember are the Scales, the Morleys the Wagstaffs, the Swinscoes, the Pates, the Evans, the Broddles, the Jansens, the Carrolls, the Mellors..erm think that's about it!

Sold the Vespa Mick but hoping to get a new one this summer.

pete c....still not riding a vespa

i think you must have lived in what used to be the Barks house. I remember Chris Morley, Stuart Wagstaff. I seem to recall that the Blatherwicks lived next door to me at number 46.

Chris Morley was one of the first mods on the street to get a scooter but he broke his leg riding pillion on Dick Pates Lambretta when they had an accident...the Wagstaffs were Nigel, Pete and Robin...Pete and Robin went on to be DJ's on Radio Trent.

The people who lived in our house before us were called the Monks..I remember the Blatherwicks the old man wouldn't let me have my football back if it landed near his roses..they had a daughter Linda.

pete c....looking for a vespa

Yes, I got it wrong. The Barks lived in the house next door to you.

Old Charlie Blatherwick was a miserable sod. He would never give you the ball back if it went into his garden.

I also remember a girl called Sandra Talbot who lived in the house the other side of the Blatherwicks.

I went back to see my old house in 2001 and met the people who were living there. They were the son and daughter in law of Josie Palethorpe. Josie moved into our house when we left England in 1964.

I know where you lived now..I knew Josie and her ex Roy..her son is Daryl..I remember Josie moving in to your house but can't remember you or your mum and dad which is strange as I was only across the road!..Sandra Talbot was and still is a friend of my sister.

pete c....looking for a vespa

• 1 year later...

MY AUNT AND UNCLE MABLE AND JOE BRIGGS MOVED TO THE ANINLEY EST FROM ST ANNS WHEN HUNGERHILL RD WAS BEING KNOCKED DOWN, LIVED THE RD NEAR THE SCHOOL CARNT REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT BUT JOE DIED NOT LONG AFTER THEY MOVED THERE WHEN HE FELL IN A VAT OF ACID AT RALIEGHTHEY HAD A DAUGHTER PAMILA AND A SON ANDREW. AND MY DAD AND AUNTIE MABLES COUSIN LIVED JUST BEHIND HER ALL I KNOW ABOUT HIM WAS HIS NAME WAS BERNARD AND I THINK HE WAS THE SON OF MY GRANDFATHERS SISTER ALICE SO DONT KNOW HIS LAST NAME BUT ANYONE WHO MIGHT REMEMBER THEM I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT THEM.

BABS

Hi Babs, how absolutely terrible what happened to your uncle, my sympathies.

I knew Ainsley Estate and its residents back in the 1960's as I worked at the Western Boulevard Library as a junior assistant. This library was very much valued by the residents of Ainsley Estate, Western Blvd and Wollaton despite it merely being a sub-branch of Bilborough Library; in fact 'our borrowers' from Wollaton would say that 'our stock' was better than their actual library's.

Lunchtimes and especially on my two late night duties - Monday and Friday - I would take a walk over to the Co-op on Ainsley Estate and buy my lunch or tea.

I made many friends whilst working at this library - it was a very friendly place and highly respected - most notable were: Alderman Derbyshire, Edna Olds, Miss Hemingway - a past secretary and love of Ian Fleming's - and a 'lovely' gentleman who'd held an important job during the golden years of the Theatre Royal - he'd tell me about Julie Andrews!

I would often receive gifts from the borrowers; the other day as I was 'Spring - cleaning my fireplace I carefully polished a green, ceramic pot - celtic design - that had been given to me by an appreciative lady who worked in the Education Department. One day she'd come into the library and was desperate for something 'good' to read; so I advised her on trying the book: 'The Family From One End Street' by Eve Garnett. She absolutely adored it and made me the present.

Lovely memories of such a friendly place: the neighbourhood library.

i think my aunts house was ooposit the co op on the ainsley estate i know ther was a shop opposit het house,because i would sometimes call in and get myself some lunch when i was working that way and call in and see auntie mable at same time.

thanks jackson for your sympathies its a long time ago now but i mentioned it because i thought it might jog a memory if any of nottstalgia members remembered them.

Babs, I think you did right to mention your Uncle Joe and his tragic death: we'd never think that anything as awful as this could happen within one of Nottingham's past Industries. It must have been a terrible time for your family.