I remember my mam working at Griffin & Spalding in the restaurant, they had to wear white coat and a white peak cap with hair tucked under the cap. the food they served was top notch, sometimes I used to pick my mam up from work and park outside the staff entrance on market street and did not pay for parking not like nowadays.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Griffins and Spalding brings back memories for me my mum used to work in G AN S making there wedding dresses. When I used to leave work at 4 00 I had to catch my bus in slab square but before going ho

Timeline ---------------- 1846 Robert and Edward Dickinson commence trading as a drapers shop on Long Row 01/04/1858 MESSRS. R. & E. DICKINSON have pleasure in announcing that they have taken

Come on DAVID W, stop messing about and get some research done !! Your posts really put flesh on the bones of this Nottingham institution.

William Griffin was from a farming family in Rempstone and can be seen below living at home in 1851 , with his father, also called William .

His grandfather was also called William .

In fact although the article above says his son was called Perry , looking at the 1901 Census it appears his first name was another William . The middle name Perry seems to come about after the married surname of his aunt ?

What seems unusual is that on the 1881 Census , William Griffin was living above the shop at 4 Market Street, together with at least 15 of the shop staff ! At least they shouldn't have been late ! Amazing that the majority of the workers were from out of the county .

It would appear that William married Sarah Widdowson Musham , daughter of William Musham of Nottingham after the 1881 Census , actually August 20th 1881. She died at Riseholme ,aged 85 in 1937 .

1901 CENSUS 29 ARBORETUM ST. Nottingham

GRIFFIN, William Head Married M 58 1843 Draper (Shop Keeper)

Rempstone, Nottinghamshire VIEW

GRIFFIN, Sarah W Wife Married F 48 1853

Nottingham, Nottinghamshire VIEW

GRIFFIN, Dorothy G Daughter F 13 1888

GRIFFIN, William P Son Single M 9 1892

PAUL, Elizabeth L Visitor Widow F 58 1843

Salford, Lancashire

1881 CENSUS 4 MARKET ST NOTTINGHAM

GRIFFIN, Wm Head Single M 38 1843 Draper (Employing 63 Hands)

Rempstone, Nottinghamshire

DISELLEY, Mucas A Servant Single F 33 1848 Saleswoman (Drapers)

Plymouth, Devon

BATSON, Agnes Servant Single F 29 1852 Saleswoman (Drapers)

Leeds, Kent

NICHOLSON, Mary A Servant Single F 29 1852 Saleswoman (Drapers)

Ripon, Yorkshire

DOUGLAS, Lina Servant Single F 29 1852 Drapers Assistant

Madras, India

DAVEY, Janet Servant Single F 30 1851 Drapers Assistant

Shaftsbury, Dorset

BABAKER, Catherine Servant Single F 4 1877 Drapers Saleswoman

Middlesex

SMITH, Edward Servant Single M 20 1861 Drapers Salesman

Boston VIEW

BLACKFORD, Thos E Servant Single M 24 1857 Drapers Salesman

Jersey, Channel Islands

SAVAGE, Jno E Servant Single M 18 1863 Drapers Salesman

Syston, Leicestershire

COOPER, Ed A Servant Single M 19 1862 Drapers Apprentice

Salisbury, Wiltshire

BOOTH, J F Servant Single M 18 1863 Drapers Apprentice

Nottingham

BACON, Thos S Servant Single M 16 1865 Drapers Apprentice

Manchester, Lancashire

THORNTON, Harriett Servant Single F 47 1834 Housekeeper (Dom)

Nottingham

LITTA, Charlotte Servant Single F 21 1860 Servant Domestic

Lincoln, Middlesex

HALLAM, Ann Servant Single F 21 1860 Servant Domestic

Sla?, Nottinghamshire

1851 CENSUS REMPSTONE LOUGHBOROUGH LEICS

GRIFFIN, William Head Married M 36 1815 Farmer 118 Acres Employg 2 Lab

Rempstone Hill, Nottinghamshire

GRIFFIN, Sarah Martha Wife Married F 33 1818

Nottingham

GRIFFIN, William Son M 8 1843 Scholar At Home

GRIFFIN, Thomas Son M 5 1846 Scholar At Home

GRIFFIN, Henry Son M 4 1847 Scholar At Home

GRIFFIN, Lucy Daughter F 2 1849

GRIFFIN, Robert Son M 1 1850

PERRY, Hannah Wife's Sister Unmarried F 26 1825 Governess

Nottingham

PERRY, Joseph Brother-In-Law Unmarried M 21 1830 Draper

Nottingham

DEATHS 28/02.1851 ANNE GRIFFIN AGE 76 WIFE OF THE LATE WILLIAM GRIFFIN OF REMPSTONE HILL NOTTS

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just to complete the duo this is John Tricks Spalding Census entries. As you can see he was born into a retailing family that had a business selling lace goods in Exeter .

John Tricks Spalding was more outgoing than his partner and was an alderman and Justice of the Peace . From the news archives he presided over dozens of court cases .

1911 Census SPALDING, John Tricks Address: 22 Villa Road Nottingham

SPALDING, John Tricks Head Married 68 1843 Draper Devonshire Exeter

SPALDING, Kathleen Chambers Wife Married42 years 68 1843 Cambridgeshire Whittlesea

SPALDING, Edward Harold Son Single M 38 1873 Draper London St Pancras

SPALDING, Ethel Margaret Daughter Single 41 1870 London St Pancras

SPALDING, Katherine Alice Daughter Single 28 1883 Nottinghamshire

1881 Census SPALDING, John T Address: 4, Wellington Circus, Nottingham St Mary

SPALDING, John T Head Married 38 1843 Draper Employs 63 Hands Exeter, Devon

SPALDING, Katherine C Wife Married 38 1843 Whittlesea, Cambridgeshire

SPALDING, Ethel M Daughte Single F 11 1870 Scholar London, Middlesex

SPALDING, William A Son Single M 9 1872 Scholar London, Middlesex

SPALDING, Edward H Son Single M 7 1874 Scholar London, Middlesex

SPALDING, Margaret A Visitor Widow F 72 1809 Exeter, Devon

JONES, Mary Ann Visitor Widow F 48 1833 Ely, Cambridgeshire

1871 Census Somerton Terrace Islington London

SPALDING, John F Head M 28 1843 Draper Exeter Devon

SPALDING, Catherine Wife F 28 1843 Cambridgeshire

SPALDING, Margaret A Mother F 61 1810 exeter Devon

1851 Census 32 High Street St. Stephen Exeter

SPALDING, John Married 35 1816 Laceman Hosier & Glover 6 Assistts Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

SPALDING, John 8 1843 Scholar Exeter, Devonshire

SPALDING, Margaret Wife 40 1811 Lace Man Hosier & Glover Assistt In Shop Exeter, Devonshire

SPALDING, William H Son 6 1845 Scholar Exeter, Devonshire

SPALDING, Margaret A Daughter 3 1848 Exeter,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Actually Commo you are right , I completely missed that the firm was originally called Fazakerley , Griffin and Spalding , funny that wasnt mentioned in the obituaries above .

Mr Fazakerley was a partner with the Dickinsons that sold out their share of their drapery business to Messrs Griffin and Spalding.

More when I can get time to scan some photos .

• Upvote 1

Timeline

----------------

Robert and Edward Dickinson commence trading as a drapers shop on Long Row

01/04/1858
MESSRS. R. & E. DICKINSON have pleasure in announcing that they have taken as a Partner Mr. EDWARD FAZAKERLEY, who has been in their house from the time they commenced business.
Nottinghamshire Guardian
Sketch of Dickinsons in the centre , the buildings to the left , later demolished to make way for Market St .
11910998276_7b3c5460da_c.jpg
Premises altered and enlarged and Market Street created which gave them an important corner site together with extra passing trade .
Edward Fazakerley dies 1875 aged 47 (so born 1828) . From the above that Littlebro provided , looks like his wife Elizabeth Jane Fazakerley inherited his share .
Messrs Griffin and Spalding purchased the majority of shares of the Fazakerley family (but presume they remained partners (see below))
Elizabeth Fazakerley living at 10 Mapperley Rd , a widow with her children.
1883 Spot the spelling mistake !
11910456663_3909f70fb3_c.jpg
Partnership of Fazakerley , Griffin and Spalding dissolved as above .
Griffin and Spalding decided to rebuild the store .
11911047706_c0c088e171_c.jpg
Photo of new store
11910444063_04c5aaa0d4_c.jpg
11910414153_561d34cbe3_c.jpg
11911018746_cb65ce2973_c.jpg
Store further enlarged
J.T. Spalding dies aged 82
Mr William Griffin dies aged 90
The sons of the above , Mr Perry Griffin , Messrs Harold and William Spalding carry on the business as directors .
Griffin and Spalding are taken over by Debenhams
11911928204_763af4296a_z.jpg
????
Name changed to Debenhams ?????
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regarding Market Street, it's interesting to note that it was originally called Theatre Street due to the siting of the newly-built - in 1865 - Theatre Royal at the top of it. (That's according to the book in the Victorian Nottingham series dealing with the Theatre Royal).

Why or when it was renamed Market Street is not clear, but seems not to have been long afterwards.

• Like 1

It never got to be called Theatre Street...the Gentry thought it was going to be...but got conned out of it by the market traders. It was previously Sheep Lane

Read it on here....

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM015576&pos=6&action=zoom&id=70665

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Phoenix

I realize this is an old thread about G and S. I saw the store mentioned somewhere more recently, but can't find it now. Doh!

So many recollections are lost unless committed in writing somehow and following that principle, I'll add my memories of the store.

When I moved to Nottingham in 1961, it was one of the first shops I recall. I've two overriding memories; creamed mushrooms on toast and fashion parades. Odd because I didn't like mushrooms and jeans and t shirt was the extent of my fashion consciousness! I remember sitting in a restaurant somewhere near the top of the store, early afternoon. Don't know if it was late lunch or early afternoon tea, but I do recall mannequins walking up and down wearing, presumably, the latest fashion. All looked a bit dated to a 12 year old, but ladies around seemed to murmur approval. The ladies just walked up and down between the tables, in a model way, pausing, smiling, gesturing and moving on.

Plus, for whatever reason, I was beguiled by their creamed mushroom on toast. Used to cost half a crown. A tasty snack and one which I introduced to a number of friends, both as a school hild and later as a student. Such is the exuberance of youth, I once hitchiked nearly 100 miles with a chum, just to eat mushrooms on toast there again. The food was good, but by the late 60s, the mannequin displays were no more. Probably for the best, we'd have been thrown out for laughing I guess!

Plus, it was known as Griffs and Sniffs. No doubt alluding to quality. Was that a general nickname?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Griffin & Spalding - worked in Menswear in about 1967. 'Twas like stepping back in time, everyone addressed very formally. We had to clean everything constantly- even removing every stacked box from inside a glass cabinet and dusting all 6 sides every week. Mr Mann was the 'buyer'- with little power as Debenhams had already bought the shop and were introducing 'central buying' which was contentious despite the fact that the department was cluttered with crap that should never have been bought! I think the assistant buyer was Mr Stinson (spelling prob incorrect) and I think we had two Mrs Smiths.

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12973 is another thread about Griffins when they became Debenhams.

• Like 1

Re#28, the 1881 cencus for 4 Market Street. Did anyone else notice Catherine Babaker from Middlesex, and a servant was born 1877 and only aged 4. Now that's child labour!

In 1965 when due to get married I wanted an head -dress that was different so I went to buy one from Griffin's.

At the time my weekly pay was £5 00. The head- dress that I choose cost £3- 9/6 but it was worth it.

Another great shop was "TOBYS" my uncle gave me £10 00 for a wedding present I went to Tobys and brought a silver plated tea pot, milk jug, sugar bowl, hot water pot, all on a silver plated tray, most famous band at the time (SWAN)

To this day I still use the tray which is now a grand age of 50, 51 this year.

I believe Griffin and Spalding had a hostel where there single staff could live - at the top of St Ann's Hill which is off Woodborough Road, between its junctions with Cranmer Street and Corporation Oaks.

Katyjay , no child labour in #28 . Just a bad transcription of the Census :) Looking at the original document "Miss Babaker" was 24 and I suspect she was also called Baker (bad handwriting).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This cropped up today on Facebook .
A lady asked about a story of a skeleton being found under some foundations of Griffin and Spalding in Edwardian times .

Very little info available and the only reference I could find in the news archives was one from a Sheffield newspaper .

Turns out there were four complete skeletons  plus an extra skull !

At first it was thought the skeletons were the result of a crime but then it was decided they were probably killed by some sort of plague or contagion .
One strange thing is that one skull was "negroid" ,  on a skeleton some 6'2" long . Apparently whatever was demolished for the extension , had been built in the 1850s , so the burials must have predated that .

"FOUR SKELETONS AND FIVE SKULLS UNEARTHED by Workmen engaged in excavation for purposes of extensions to the large business premises of Messrs Griffin and Spalding, at the rear of Long Row Nottingham, have unearthed no fewer than four complete skeletons and one skull "
28 May 1910 - Sheffield Daily 
  • Like 3
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great days! I worked for a few months in the bedding section of G&S. I'd never been in a store with lift attendants before, deep carpets and our own label printing department!

Miss Bentley was my mentor (until Burtons offered two quid a week more!) she was lovely  - everyone's grandma. Adrian was her other assistant,  think HD was gay but I was too nieve to notice that he was "different", latest music in the Arcade on Angel Row and my first taste of lager (yuck!) St the Bell Inn.

Lovely memories. 

Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 2

Great store.........worked there when it was 'Debenhams'' and two more in the West Midlands...such a shame all gone now.............it really was like working at 'Grace Brothers''

Also worked the 'Big Coop''  again great atmosphere and people......used to love getting in the lift.......and Announcing ''3rd floor Ladies Underwear''.......including '' Liberty Bodices''

Took Fenella Fielding up the lift.......mentioned afore...but such a pleasure worth repeating...:rolleyes:

• Like 2