• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Griffins and Spalding brings back memories for me my mum used to work in G AN S making there wedding dresses. When I used to leave work at 4 00 I had to catch my bus in slab square but before going ho

Timeline ---------------- 1846 Robert and Edward Dickinson commence trading as a drapers shop on Long Row 01/04/1858 MESSRS. R. & E. DICKINSON have pleasure in announcing that they have taken

Come on DAVID W, stop messing about and get some research done !! Your posts really put flesh on the bones of this Nottingham institution.

Ladies' equestrian knickers were something I was bissfully unaware of, not sure the information isn't going to scar me for life!

When younger, I always thought G & S was a posh shop where likes of me didn't frequent. Now I know what they sold, I'm glad I never went in.

I once knew someone who worked at Brettles when they were based in Belper. It was, apparently, a Dickensian set up in the 60s. They made all manner of things the like of which cannot be purchased now. My mother used to buy the pink ballet socks me for me as a child, when I was taking exams as they were RAD regulation uniform and no one else made the same shade!  

• 8 months later...
On 11/3/2008 at 10:40 PM, Maureen O'Donoghue said:

Does anyone remember waiting outside griffiths and lyons tea house early saturday evenings to find out where any parties were happening ? after spending the afternoon in the khardomah and griffiths cafe

Yes I remember the Lyons Tea House by Griffin & Spalding.  It seemed huge inside.  My bus  home from school (No 57) used to stop just outside.