• 2 months later...

Does anyone remember a girl from Manchester originally who worked in the Lyons in Nottingham in around 1965. She was known as Barbara Moore (or Barbara King). Trying to track her down and we know she left Manchester for Nottingham and it seems she may have worked there from what information we have.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Engaged to Trina'' who worked there in 1964......

Katrina Varley was her name,,her mother Grace also worked there at the same time,, Katrina was living in Awsworth,but not seen her for a few years now,,......but you never know she may read this,, if you see her ask her if she's still got my ring,,........lol

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2015 at 10:21 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Difficult to find a photo of the place. It was here, with a Dolcis on the left of Lyons and Saxone on its right. In the days when buses stopped on both sides of Long Row.

lyons2.jpg

A few years older, but you can see the name behind the bus.

lyons1.jpg

Got so much history in the space from Dolcis to Saxone,,........had dates when i was a Van lad in 1960 with girls from Dolcis,,Van Allan and Saxone,, nearly got stabbed in 1965,, and got engaged to the lovely Trina who was a Waitress in Lyons in 1964..........love to do it all again      ahh

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Got so much history in the space from Dolcis to Saxone,,........had dates when i was a Van lad in 1960 with girls from Dolcis,,Van Allan and Saxone,, nearly got stabbed in 1965,, and got engaged to the lovely Trina who was a Waitress in Lyons in 1964..........love to do it all again      ahh

So many women...so little time.

• Like 2
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 6:34 PM, Cliff Ton said:

My memories are from the first half of the 60s, and I'm not sure if I remember the shop counter as mentioned by Merthyr Imp. I don't recall the colours inside the building so I can't help MargieH on that one.

However, thanks to Picture the Past I've found a colour photo showing the outside of the place. It's the building immediately in front of the bus.

lyons1_1.jpg

Love the flower beds much better than what the square looks like now

• Upvote 2

The 40 and 47 bus also stopped out side Griffins. My first date meeting with the master out side "Lyons", we arranged to meet at 6 00pm  I stood waiting till 6 45 (what a ??? I was) any way it could not have been that bad as we are still with each other, married in 1965. 

ps any body have any info of the hairdresser's in the photo?   

"ROBSON" ladies hairdresser. 

• 3 years later...

Does anyone remember the Lyons teashops ?  My mam worked there , i think they called the girls who served there nippies or something like that .

Lovely memories of ''Lyons Tea shops'' Dave........was engaged to 'Trina'' who worked in the one in Town........

Remember the day i passed my driving test 63/64 and running down Friar lane from 'East Yorkshire' driving school waving my 'Pass Paper'' all the way to 'Lyons' to show 'Trina'' and i kissed her up the 'Alley'' (no pun intended) that ran up the side........Her Mother was also a 'Waitress there...........celebrated that night in the ''Bodega''..........was given a 'Farrands' company van the following week........obviously not to be used for 'Private use........loved that weekend in Skeg.paid..10/- Per night to man behind the bar for Caravan at 'Happy days' site.....:rolleyes:

• Like 2
On 8/29/2015 at 10:21 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Difficult to find a photo of the place. It was here, with a Dolcis on the left of Lyons and Saxone on its right. In the days when buses stopped on both sides of Long Row.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae24/kc29_2010/lyons2.jpg

A few years older, but you can see the name behind the bus.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae24/kc29_2010/lyons1.jpg

Great photo of those shops on Long row........Had dates with girls in all of them...when i was a ''Van Lad' and delivering Parcels' from British rail at Midland station...when i left school in 1960 from March to November....before embarking on my great adventures with Marsdens.....brilliant days...........

Whenever I see those shops I'm always curious about the upper floors. Stockroom. office and staff room sure, but the rest?

I posted about the Lyons teashop somewhere else , but my mam used to work in the there as a nippy , her name was marion rhodes , infact that's where she met my dad who served in the army , my mam also work in the pork farms shop too.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Whenever I see those shops I'm always curious about the upper floors. Stockroom. office and staff room sure, but the rest?

Lyons certainly went up to the first floor; I remember eating/drinking up there. The room went a long way back, but not very wide.

5 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Was it Spike Milligan?

Wots that pub called just before you hit trent bridge ?   they used to have a folk group in there , that was a great evening supping afew beers and listening to the music , used to pop in there when i worked at Nottm county council office near the cricket ground , i am talking way back in the 80,s 

Depends which way you’re going over the bridge, could be the TBI

Where the old 43 trolleybus turn round. Used to be a very smart gents loo there too.   B.

• Like 1

They were rather splendid as I recall. I used to get off there in around 1956 when I used to cox the Mellish rowing crew who were based at Brittania over the bridge. That was long before the rowing clubs became pop music venues. I caught the No. 10 to Long Row and crossed the road to catch the 43 at the bottom end of the Square. I’m looking at at my mini presentation rowing trophy, The Butcher Cup 1956, on my study shelf now. The only cup I ever won. :(

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 7:04 AM, David sheridan said:

Does anyone remember the Lyons teashops ?  My mam worked there , i think they called the girls who served there nippies or something like that .

In stead of our first day meeting out side the Lions in Slabsquare, master said lets meet outside Lyons teashop. Ok meet you at 6 00 pm  Where i had to catch my bus home was out slde Lyons/Dolcis/H Samule  I could not remember what he looked like or even his name, by 6 45, no chap had said a word to me, so went to the bus stop to catch my bus home, (HIS LOSS) then when my bus arrived, just getting on it when some one tapped me on my shoulder. Like B In Oct we will have been married ?   work it out married in 1965.  David hi I bet all the staff at Lyons watched us.

• Like 2