Z Cars in Radford

Hello.

I can remember while at Sidney Pearson Hill school in the 70s the filming of some scenes for an episode of Z Cars.I recall there was filming on Denman Street just below the corner with Dulwich Road and also around the entrance to the Sidney Pearson gates at the rear of the school.

Can anyone remember this and if so the title of the episode,

Thanks.

Mark

• 5 years later...

Yes Zcars was filmed in Radford and at the Sydney Pearson Hill school and around the Clifton bridge area, I was a little youngster then at that school so can confirm this. The episode in question is called/titled.....( Scot Free ) and was shown on TV in 1976 even though the filming of Scot Free was early 1975. Hopes this helps.

• Upvote 1

Radfordred. Sydney Pearson Hill was my grandfather and like you say an old boy. He was Sherriff of Nottm in 1959, Lord Mayor in 1961, BEM in 1963 and later on knighted. Not bad for a person born out of wedlock and later became an engine driver. He died of multiple cancer in 1968. Not everyone agreed with all his politics and I was one of them, but he was a gentleman and was a true Labour Alderman - there for the people of Nottingham. Not like the present self-serving bunch of Richard Heads.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 year later...

Bilbraborn. I remember Mr Hill as he and my parents and aunty were friends. My aunty and uncle lived next door to us in Radford and they all used to chat on the doorstep. Mr Hill would come by on his bike when he'd finished at the railways. I went to Forster St and when they changed the name, was chosen to give flowers etc to Alderman and Mrs Hill. Having been told not to speak to them, Mr Hill greeted me and asked after my dad - I was mortified as I could see the head mistress's outraged look that I should know the Lord Mayor! But we were a staunch Labour family and trades unionists, so we knew a lot of the local politicians.

And yes Z Cars did film in Radford. On Bastion Street, as that was where my parents lived. They asked my mother if she'd let our cat be in shot and she said no, she didn't want him knocked down by racing police cars!