They'd have put up a statue of him before he died if he'd have been a South African who had served a sentence for terrorism!

Rog

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thirteen years ago today since Brian Cloughs passing I know it's a novelty game, but let's hope Forest can beat Chelsea tonight down at Stamford Bridge ...... For Cloughie  x  

Robert Shaw wasn't in 633 Squadron as far as I know, he was in The Dambusters though, Anyway as this topic is about Cloughie I'd best say he DID do wonders for Nottingham Forest FC (I put in the FC as most lately think they are called Nottingham Forest Nil) however I think he was only good with unknown and so called has beens? Most of the "stars" he bought failed to produce? Even Trevor Francis to some extent (Euro winner apart) I doubt he could have managed today's millionaire players either? As regards Jimmy Sirrell despite being a Notts Fan all my life (saw Lawton, and the original Tom Johnson) he can hardly compare results wise. As regards a statue, it's a bit like the Royal Awards thing with people being knighted or given medals for doing their chosen profession? ie a gong for services to music or sport? when the bloke has become a multi millionaire do what he wants, what about a gong for services to the sick or infirm?

Jimmy Sirrell isn't dead yet, a great manager though, but apart from the Nottingham Evening Post, his name wasn't exactly spread all over the national media. Perversly, I could imagine a statue of him appearing outside Meadow Lane on his demise without question, assuming they can find enough fans to cough up.

Incidentally Ashley, you talk about getting gongs for the sick and infirm, Sirrell should qualify for that, how he managed to turn around that sad team in the late 60's was one of the greatest miracles in football, what Cloughie did with Forest in the 70's was amazing, but at least, as you say, he could turn round unknowns and has beens, you could see some of the talented players that they had pre Clough, remember the Man City cup victory, they just wanted kicking up the backside by the right person with a few subtle injections of new players.

Sirrell on the other hand inherited a team of no hopers, apart from Needham, Stubbs and Les Bradd, but he knew he could build a team around these people on sod all money, and thats what he did to the point that he could convince the management to cough up for Tony Hateley, a complete waste of space really, but a good publicity exercise. Remember Hatelelys first match, against Bournemouth, the great striking force of McDougall and Boyer, 27,000 turned up that day, it was amazing, thank god he substituted Hateley for Bradd, who I always reckon as one of Nott's great heroes.

Sorry, I digress, how did you manage to pick up the fact that Robert Shaw was in the Dambusters, IMDB me suspects.

If people want a statue of Cloughie,,,,, or Lord Snooty,,,,, or anyone else,,,,, Great !

Collect donations &/or get the like minded people to chip in for it.

As for putting taxes up to pay for it - NO WAY.

I don't have a problem with people doing what they want with their own money,,,,,, but there are more important things to spend MY tax on,,,, like helping me to live for instance !

If people want a statue of Cloughie,,,,, or Lord Snooty,,,,, or anyone else,,,,, Great !

Collect donations &/or get the like minded people to chip in for it.

As for putting taxes up to pay for it - NO WAY.

I don't have a problem with people doing what they want with their own money,,,,,, but there are more important things to spend MY tax on,,,, like helping me to live for instance !

Sorry old pal, I see you are about to take flying lessons, my heart bleeds for your inability to put a penny on your council tax payments, for whatever reason, it must be a struggle to live and pay for flying lessons at the same time, I'm devastated at your misfortune in life.

As is usual in these things, you have no idea of my misfortunes,,, or you may well be devestated.

I don't tell you how to spend your money, or how to live your life,,,,,,

That may well only be a penny for this cause,,, then it'll be a penny for another cause,,, and another,,, and another,,,,

I begrudge running my body into the gound all my life (along with millions of others) then be expected to pay all these 'pennies' for other peoples quirks !

As it 'appens,,, I think Cloughie was a great asset to football,,, and a thoroughly decent chap in private,,,, as I do other personalities,,, along with the thousands of men women & children that lost their lives and families fighting for people like me to live and have an opinion.

In my case, I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't have fancy holidays, don't buy new cars,,,,, (tho' why i'm justifying myself to you is beyond me !)

Spend your money on what you want,,,,,, & leave others to do the same.

Sorry Bazzer, thinking about it, it sounds as if wer'e sharing the same boat, we both live in so called privileged areas, and are possibly suffering as a consequence. You are right, a penny here, a penny there, how far do you go. The Clough family, I would have thought, are, probably, particularly in comparison to us, pretty well off, how much are they prepared to put towards a statue of their erstwhile leader, I'm not up with the politics of the situation, as usual, a bit like Big Ead, my immediate gob gets in the way.

Isn't life wonderful when you are scrabbling about for survival mate, PM me with your story.

No apology needed mate,,,,,,,,

it's an open forum,,, we all give to it,,, so we should all take from it. If I didn't want to hear other peoples comments - I wouldn't use a forum.

Like lots of other things, the term 'council tax' is thought of as only being 'local', when in fact it's all taken into account when central government make their awards etc. In the end, your 'local' and my 'local' taxes do effect each other.

There are hundreds of things that I don't want my taxes going towards,,,,,, on the other hand, there are hundreds more people who don't want their taxes going to what I'd like,,,,,

In Cloughies case - I couldn't agree more - surely over the years there has been ample money going through their coffers to put a bit aside for a monument if they so wish.

----------------:----------------

I didn't realise that Fred Dibnah's plight (or families) had been so tragic - it just dosn't make sense !

----------------:----------------

It's nice to voice ones opinion now & then,,,,,, even if it does get shot down.

cheers for now

The Fred Dibnah story is appalling, but nobody seems to care, the TV companies ramble on as if nothing has happened, something should be done about what has happened to the life of this great man, it's all so very sad.

Surely his estate gets repeat fees from all his telly stuff??

I remember Christopher Biggins was on record as saying that he was saved from bankruptcy because of the amount of times 'Porridge' was being repeated, and he got more for each repeat than he got for the original episodes!!!

All depends on the contract you, or your agent, negotiated. None of the Carry On team got a penny in residuals just a straight fee. On the other hand Sir Alec Guiness appeared in Star Wars for nothing but negotiated a percentage of the film's gross profit - which was nice.

In hind site his agent (If he had one ) probably didn't see any repeats being likely and opted for the larger slice of the pie to feather his own nest in the first place.

The Fred Dibnah story is appalling, but nobody seems to care, the TV companies ramble on as if nothing has happened, something should be done about what has happened to the life of this great man, it's all so very sad.

I agree.The biggest influence in my life regarding my interest in our industrial heritage is Fred Dibnah.I was interested before but even more so since Fred began his programmes.Visits to industrial heritage museums must have doubled because of Fred.

In hind site his agent (If he had one ) probably didn't see any repeats being likely and opted for the larger slice of the pie to feather his own nest in the first place.

I take it you are referring to Fred Dibnah.

He actually died leaving an estate worth £1m, by all accounts, and I'm only quoting what I've read here, and it's difficult to work out the real truth, family squables just before his death caused the will to be changed and his last wife receiving nothing, the bulk of the dosh going to his first wife and kids safely ensconced in the tax haven of the Isle of Man.

Great rifts appeared between the various ex-wives and so called friends and true friends. The result was Sheila being chucked out of his house by court order and the place being left to it's own devices while writs were being hurled about. Meanwhile the place was ransacked by Pykies and other criminal filth while the local authority and other organisations, who should have secured it's future as a heritage site, stood by and did nothing.

Consequently, his true mates that you saw in the last Dibnah series, along with Sheila, took matters into their own hands removed the treasured steam engines and remaining artifacts, risking prosecution one Christmas day, they've been hidden at a secret location for their own protection ever since.

Meanwhile the house, complete with Freds famous ladders and now rotting land rover were put up for auction, but were withdrawn. Nothing has since happened, I presume the place is now even more vandalised.

It's a bloody tragedy of greed, family squabbles and legal crap thats resulted in one of Britains greatest industrial collections by a much loved individual to have been lost for ever.

I'm just waiting for the place to be opened up as the Fred Dibnah bloody curry house, it would be the last nail in the coffin wouldn't it.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...