Two years on and they are still trying to raise the £60K needed for a memorial to old big head.

I sent my contribution ages ago but it really is a pretty pathetic effort to take so long in not raising such a small amount of money.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thirteen years ago today since Brian Cloughs passing I know it's a novelty game, but let's hope Forest can beat Chelsea tonight down at Stamford Bridge ...... For Cloughie  x  

£48K, of the £60K, raised since June 2005....according to their site.

Agree it does seem a surprisingly long time.....

Didn't contribute myself, primarily because on the 2 occasions I met him socially - at sporting dinners - the majority present found him rude and uneccessarily offensive.

Perhaps the 'bung' business has detered some others from 'chipping in'

Cheers

Robt P.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You may(or may not) be interested to know that there are a few letters about Cloughy`s Memorial in the Nottingham Post at present. There is an excellent one about `choice' after some crackpot suggested giving the money to charity. In spite of the fact that Clough may well have been a thoroughly unpleasant character(according to some reports), he did a lot to lift the image of Nottingham and the Forest team.Nottingham for many years has slipped from being a once great and proud city to its present status. We need all the heroes we can get.

Finally ,it (the 60,000 pounds) brought again to mind the million pounds on the so called `Sky Mirror' at the playhouse (and it was not even built in England),compare cost and relevance. Incidentally there is even a web page about the mirror which probably cost as much as Clough`s memorial

...Oh and putting things further into perspective what about the 120,000 pounds for the design of N for Nottingham! The people responsible for this all time confidence trick should be shot.

Putting the N into Notts

There's a brand new image to promote Nottinghamshire. But will it have the desired effect?

• 1 year later...

A couple of those proposals are pretty frightening looking!

I welcome Brian being properly commemorated in the middle of the city. The public seem to have little appetite for putting their hand in their own pocket for this type of thing though. There was a campaign launched amongst Hibs fans in Edinburgh for a statue of Joe Baker. Joe died in October, 2003 and in spite of being incredibly well-loved and cherished up there no great progress is observed.

Regardless of the funding aspect I believe there really should be a statue of Brian in Nottingham. The man put this city on the map when he conquered Europe twice with his team. I've never been a Forest supporter but one doesn't have to be to appreciate his great achievements.

There have been many, many people commemorated who were distinctly unpleasant individuals but achieved great things. Personally I think Cloughie's drinking problems would account for much of his poorer behaviour though I will say here and now that is no excuse. On the other hand, much of his kindness and selfless acts in helping people was never advertised.

On the other hand, much of his kindness and selfless acts in helping people was never advertised.

(TO quote Stu)

I did actually see Cloughie referee a game to raise funds for some post mens families (The postmen had been killed in a minibus accident returning from a footie match I think) in about 1979/80. Chris Ashley was one of the captains (IMMSC it was a County all stars vs a Forest all stars side, no current players but a load of ex's and various Caleb's) I can't remember the final score but I recall Cloughie giving Chris his marching orders. Craig might fill in some more details cos he was probably at Trent at the time and may even have played!!!!!!!!

I'd like to have seen that! I thought Chris Ashley's shows were an absolute hoot in those days.

Duncan Hamiltons's sports book of the year Provided you don't kiss me bears wtiness to some of the things that Cloughie would do to help those less fortunate. I went along to Hamilton's talk at Lowdham Book Festival last summer and he reiterated lot's of instances where Brian would step in when somebody needed help. Cloughie was a complicated and contrary man and sometimes his behaviour did not compute with his public principles. I do however think he may well be one of the very last 'working class heroes'. I think he always kept his upbringing and what that bestowed upon him, close to him.

Yes indeed...I also read Duncan Hamilton's book and enjoyed it immensely...

Through every page I had the impression that this was the 'real' Clough.

Conversely, I recently read the much vaunted David Peace's book The Damned Utd. It takes the form of a foul-mouthed novel based around Clough's 44 days at Leeds Utd and, IMO, was nothing more than a poorly researched [countless glaring errors] and poorly written conjecture - especially as Peace never claimed dramatic licence, but some level of insight.

Cheers

Robt P.

I undestand that Brian Clough's widow, Barbara, and Nigel were quite upset at some of the comment in The Damned United

It sounded an interesting concept but the way you and one or two other's have described it I think I'll leave that one alone. I've read a lot of stuff about Cloughie and I'm convinced that Duncan Hamilton's book is the definitive one out there. It could perhaps only have been bettered by the late Peter Taylor for really knowing the man in his professional as well as personal persona.

I once waited out side the dressing rooms at Meadow Lane (after his first local derby in charge ) for an hour and a half after the end of the match, when he finally emerged he tried to just push past everyone but I persevered and followed him to his chauffeur driven Merc (He had just been banned for drink driving) and finally got him to sign my match day paper (Yes Notts County used to have a paper not a program) I still have it up in the loft .

I once waited out side the dressing rooms at Meadow Lane (after his first local derby in charge ) for an hour and a half after the end of the match, when he finally emerged he tried to just push past everyone but I persevered and followed him to his chauffeur driven Merc (He had just been banned for drink driving) and finally got him to sign my match day paper (Yes Notts County used to have a paper not a program) I still have it up in the loft .

I still have one or two of those papers in my loft too, Ian. I quite liked them but I suppose they weren't very useful in that you couldn't shove them in your pocket easily, without creasing them at least. Not as good for the collector. Interesting idea though. Did it last one full season? Would have been about the era when Notts wore the predominently white shirts with just a pin stripe, Sammy Chapman and Alan Birchenall time?

IMMSC it lasted two seasons and was called 'The Pie' it was about 75/6 I could be wrong there though (I googled for info and couldn't find it but I have had a Notts County history book for Christmas I will have a look now and get back to you

• 8 months later...

I liked Robert Shaw, every role he played he really got into it, like the killer as per pic, the nazi Hessler in Battle of the bulge, Quint in Jaws, and "Skipper" in Battle of Britain, All these were totally different, and each was believable, not like Michael Caine or Roger Moore "as" Raf pilot or James Bond

Perhaps we should consider what has happened to the memory of the late great Fred Dibnah in his home town and compare the two.

For all his many faults, Cloughie did put Nottingham on the map, it wasn't just about football either, he was a national institution, well, for just being Cloughie.

All the great footballing success happened after I'd moved down to Essex, it didn't stop here, everyone talked about him all the time. I remember going to watch Forest play Ipswich at Portman Road, my neighbour hadn't a lot of interest in football, he just loved Mr Clough. He insisted on coming to the match with me just so he could see the man in the flesh. I recall getting a place on the front next to the dugout, old 'Big head' came along the touchline, he must have been in a good mood, talking to the crowd and signing autographs, this was in the Ipswich side by the way, even they loved him. My mate was overcome, he didn't watch the match, just Brians antics at the side of the pitch. Quite frankly, he was the only football manager, that, come rain or shine, whoever you supported, whatever you did, or where you lived, everyone loved him, because of his eccentricities or whatever, the only other football manager that to me has come close in terms of public affection was Matt Busby, and that was for obvious reasons. In some ways, I'm glad he never became England manager, whoever I talk to, Spurs, Arsenal, Braintree United, they all think he should have done, but by not doing so, it's perpertrated the myth of what might have been.

Not putting up a statue to the man is unthinkable, I'm sure that a penny on the council tax to pay for it wouldn't be a problem, get on with it Nottingham, put him next to Robin Hood, just don't ask Tracey Emin to tender for the job.

This is what happened to Fred Dibnah, great man, stalwart of Bolton, but what did those scumbags at the council did for his memory.

You still see his programmes repeated on many channels, but I can't watch them anymore.

His fantastic house and industrial heritage were ignored by the council as a museum, they didn't want to know, a scheme for a statue was also ignored by the local council.

His wife was chucked out of the house, it was left to be vandalised. Most of his artifacts were stolen, the house has been constantly raided. All those lovely drawings that you see on the TV have gone, ignoring legal battles, his mates took away his steam engines, lacking all their stolen plates. His famous old landrover was left to rot, it's probably been torched by now.

The house was eventually put up for auction by typically money grabbing agents, a glitch in a site plan has left it's sale suspended for a year and it's probably been wrecked even more.

Meanwhile, his wife Sheila, without council help, raised herself enough money for a statue. The council wanted to shove it away from the town centre, outside a derelict church and opposite Tesco's, nice place to honour the memory of a great British Hero.

Eventually, sanity prevailed and the statue, paid for by the public, was erected in Bolton Town Centre, quite right too.

As for the rest of this great man's life, it's become a shambles, think of that when you watch the next repeated episodes about this truly great Briton, his memory totally destroyed in his home town, that amazing workshop and industrial museum he created, all gone, what a bloody disgrace, it was a unique place, just ignored by the powers that be. It should be one of the Heritage sites of this country, they probably shoved the money into a Bolton Ethnic Centre instead, makes you puke doesn't it.

• Upvote 1