Where in Nottinghamshire?

We haven't had one of these for a while.

Out on a country walk just recently I passed by a residence where Sir Walter Scott was reputed to have been inspired to write part of his novel Ivanhoe.

Where is this Nottinghamshire address?

Hat's off to you Katy, bang on! !clapping!

Sir Walter Scott stayed there and was said to be so enamoured with the surrounding scenery that it inspired his work Ivanhoe which he partly wrote at Fountain Dale House. In the novel he called the area 'Copmanhurst'.

Incidentally, it's very pleasant walk along Rickett Lane where Fountain Dale House stands It begins almost facing the church at Blidworth and ends at the A614.

The Robin Hood tale I alluded to was the story of Robin meeting Friar Tuck at the stream (Fountaindale). One version has Robin reputed to have asked the Friar to carry him across the water before a fight between the two ensued.

Fountain Dale House pictured in the 1920s.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?P...0;id=4274;image

Lets stop right here....we all remember what happened the last time...these one liners went on for months.

Nip.

I got that one from personal experience, the doc asked me if I had trouble passing water , for some reason quick as a flash I said "I had a bit of a dizzy spell walking over Trent Bridge once " and fell about on the floor laughing , he wasn't impressed !!

Quickly passing on before my eyes start to water:-

Where did the person initially live who was supposed to have introduced celery into this country, his name as well please.

No Googling either.

Well just to poo on your bonfire ,,I have googled it ,and guess what ???? Yup, the Romans introduced it !!

Well just to poo on your bonfire ,,I have googled it ,and guess what ???? Yup, the Romans introduced it !!

I reckon they introduced it and it was forgotten about during the Dark Ages, after all, what did the Romans do for us, so I'll rephrase, which Nottingham resident reintroduced celery during relatively recent times and where did he live, apparently it was found living wild on the banks of the River Leen, no doubt a legacy of the Romans, abandoned by whatever tribes took over the city, as it was.

Where did the person initially live who was supposed to have introduced celery into this country, his name as well please.

As your question clearly states " Where did the person initially live " then Marshall Tallard who commanded the French forces of Louis XIV at the battle of Blenhiem was initially French, vis a vis he initially lived in FRANCE

As your question clearly states " Where did the person initially live " then Marshall Tallard who commanded the French forces of Louis XIV at the battle of Blenhiem was initially French, vis a vis he initially lived in FRANCE

Ok mate, I messed that one up, you are right, I'm sure you know where he lived as well, I had no idea that he was a salad expert until I looked him up.

On the question of celery, remember how we used to buy that lovely soil encrusted white stuff from the Central Market at this time of year. What happened to it, all we get is bland, green rubbish from Spain.

Theres a company from Soham in the Fens that supplies Tescoes, last year their celery was lovely traditional stuff and inexpensive too. It's recently re-appeared on the shelves down here, but it's not quite the same, though at 34p a time, it's far better than the usual rubbish, including the organic rip off which I refuse to buy.

Always been a celery enthusiast me.