Where in Nottinghamshire?

...On the question of celery, remember how we used to buy that lovely soil encrusted white stuff..

Once saw celery being harvested from Bicker Fen on the A52 Boston road...the soil there is so cherished (said by many to be the best in Europe) that the pickers brush the earth from the plant back onto the land, at picking.

Cheers

Robt P.

My old man used to grow it on his allotment, couldn't stand the stuff myself, except for the crunchy hearts!!

My old man used to grow it on his allotment, couldn't stand the stuff myself, except for the crunchy hearts!!

Yeah, brilliant, thats what it's all about, the crunchy hearts, you don't see them anymore, though this company supplying Tesco did it up until last year, sounds like I'd be in heaven at your old mans allotment.

Another question, where was/is the office of Nottinghams only really acknowledged talented local architect, apart from myself of course, and lovely old Vernon Royle and John Whitehorn that I used to work for, and can you work out his name in the correct order, a clue here.

Disregard AW Pugin who did St Barnabas and Basil Spence who made an abortion out of the Uni Architects tower.

I didn't think it would last long, he changed his name from Fothergill Watson for some reason, have you ever studied the statues in the niches on his office building in George Street, they're supposed to be of his staff. At least it's not far from Gee Dees, 2 surviving Nottingham greats.

How they could have demolished his wonderful Black Boy Hotel and replaced it with that originally Littlewoods concrete crap is beyond me, it's beyond belief, what were they thinking of!!!!

In the world of architecture, we get Lutyens, Voysey, Charles Rennie Macintosh shoved down our throats, all contemporary architects, but Fothergill was an unapreciated architect of the same time, much neglected, a genius, but he lived and worked in a city that wasn't considered to be important, sad isn't it.

I asked this question (RE Black Boy) of a council official years ago,and was told it was due to subsidence , how true I don't know.

I asked this question (RE Black Boy) of a council official years ago,and was told it was due to subsidence , how true I don't know.

Subsidence from what, trolley buses passing by. That sort of reply makes you want to puke, the Council House is therefore slipping into the void left by the Black Boy, any excuse for a bit of crap developement.

Celery raw develops the jaw

But celery stewed is more easily chewed!

He seemed quite genuine, as if he had been told the same (Some thing to do with caves collapsing maybe, or the close proximity of the railway tunnels)

just got back from Barcelona ... what do you make of Gaudi Firbeck ?...some of the fothergill work in the park has a vague similarity!!!

I don't know about that, Fothergill was possibly too clinical in comparison, but I gather that La Sagrada is being finished off, sacrilage, it should be left as it is, isn't that what it's all about, I just hope that our Sir Norman isn't involved.

He seemed quite genuine, as if he had been told the same (Some thing to do with caves collapsing maybe, or the close proximity of the railway tunnels)

Could well be, but given the beauty of this building, and the relatively simple job of underpinning over sandstone, it could have at least been replaced with something more than a horizontal concrete slab, typical local authority tossers at work again, I wonder what backhanders they recieved.