The 'new' Old Market Square

I must say that my initially negative reaction towards it has been tempered by some of the activities that have been included in the square's diary since it's re-opening. In purely aesthetic terms I still believe that the previous incarnation was more attractive, especially in the summer period when it was decorated with flower baskets. To be fair, what vegetation there remains around the square will improve things when it matures. The main advantage is of course that the new square is a clean sheet of canvas whereas the original's processional way was difficult to utliise in some ways .

I used to hate to see the same old tired and inadequate looking Christmas fairground each year. I felt it really cheapened the centre of the city. By comparison I loved the ice rink and German Market of last year which re-opens next week. Apart a nice bustling atmosphere created by the ice pad, there was excellent German beer and sausages on sale nearby. A great treat on a winter's night and one I headed for quite a few times!

I was just interested in what others' thoughts were about Nottingham's new centre piece?

Yes I agree with you Stu I to had my doubts of the new look of the square but as time and the odd rotting corpse has pasted under Trent bridge I too have changed my mind.

Even though I didn’t sample the German beer or the sausage made from the entrails of god knows what and I see you are still with us, therefore the rumours must have been wrong regarding what goes into German grub…never liked salty cabbage.

The other night I was in the market square looking at the Brian Clough statue and I couldn’t help thinking, has the skate boarders behind me who were making such a racket with their tricks and spins have taken time out from their pursuit of excellence and free skate board park to look at him…maybe not.

I was wondering if the Arena will suffer any revenue loss from the Ikea ice rink?

Bip.

From this side of the pond - I was reasonably impressed with the new layout. As Stu mentions, it does lend itself better to having "things" going on than the old one. To me, this brings back some of the "market" atmosphere which is what it originally was for, rather than simply a place that looks "pleasant" with nothing going on.

I also wonder if our tolerance, or lack of, when we see noisy youngsters, etc. is more a product of us getting old and less tolerant than we used to be. I honestly believe we were as noisy, boisterous and disruptive when we were younger (and some of the posts on this site support that thought) so perhaps we just need to accept that todays youngsters are not behaving that much different than we did - they just have worse music! ;)

...I also wonder if our tolerance, or lack of, when we see noisy youngsters, etc. is more a product of us getting old and less tolerant than we used to be....

I'm sure that is so...

Sat having a drink with my cousin outside Car Colston's Royal Oak, last week - now there's a nice pub!.

He became rather agitated by a dozen or so young teenagers biking around ...doing no harm, not interfering with anyone, making little noise - just having their own fun.

Challenged him on his annoyance, and also reminded him of he and I behaving much less well - 50+ years back.

He concurred, and admitted that his concern was magnified by their 2008 'uniform' of baseball caps, trainers etc.

IMO, gangs of kids 'hanging around' nowadays offer about 5% of the "threat" that is perceived by us oldies.

Cheers

Robt P.

By comparison I loved the ice rink and German Market of last year which re-opens next week. Apart a nice bustling atmosphere created by the ice pad, there was excellent German beer and sausages on sale nearby.

Yeah Stu,I love the German Christmas Markets which lots of cities and towns have over here now.The beer is very expensive but at least it's the genuine thing and brought over from Germany.Those bratwurst sausages are fantastic - very tasty and real sausages - a lot better than those American hotdog rubbish ones.The steakburgers are great too.

Even though I didn’t sample the German beer or the sausage made from the entrails of god knows what and I see you are still with us, therefore the rumours must have been wrong regarding what goes into German grub…never liked salty cabbage.

Bip,I strongly recommend the bratwurst sausages.The beer is very expensive but genuine.I have never tried sauerkraut - doesn't seem to have the same appeal over here as it does in Germany.

• 9 years later...

BUMP

Whilst looking for Nottm events over the Easter weekend for my son who enjoyed his stay in Nottm so much last week that they want to visit again over the holiday. I came across this Evening Post article from 1974, ( no idea how) it is a discussion  with the public on their opinions about changes to the square. Hope we haven't seen it before. Just scroll down to the video.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/i-wouldnt-give-you-tuppence-1351471

• Like 2