Children in Need

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In answer to post 50......I not only believe " babies for cash " situation is a career choice for many, but I know it to be true......Ask many young girls what they want to do after school and they wi

Pudsey the one eyed bear, I'd poke his other bloody eye out if I had my way, what a bloody embarassment, It's just another excuse for the so called do gooders, the likes of Bob (look how good I am) Ge

I have worked in some of the most deprived inner city schools in the Uk..........I now work unpaid with some of the most vulnerable in our society....there needs to be a welfare system to help those w

Posted Images

I was in the dentist early this year and sat reading punch, lancet etc..in a highbrow mag it broke down where 'red nose day' money raised went..£18,000 went to...wait for it!!!!..." Pregnant Nigerian Woman Not To Serve In Jail".love to find what Citroen Diane driving,rope sandel wearing rainbow loving lefty veggy twat registered that (charity????)

All children are in need...........

Have to say I'm very disappointed to read the last few posts in this thread.

I spent the last 30 years of my working life as a Careers Adviser. A job that in reality is very different to most people's narrow perception. I spent years working with kids whose backgrounds and issues (In this country....!!) were worse than anything I experienced on Bestwood Estate in the 1950s. I also worked as a Youth Worker for many years.. (I'm a glutton for punishment) I remember one night when a chap I didn't know came to the door of the youth club asking for his son. He exchanged a few words with his son and then went away. A couple of hours later he was found dead in his car.. suffocated by exhaust fumes. Tell me his son didn't have needs.

For the last decade of my work as a Careers Adviser, I worked in the field of Special Needs, mostly with kids having Moderate Learning Difficulties. Some of these kids came from excellent and supportive homes and had learning delay due to sensory impairment or other disability. But sadly, the bulk of them just came from homes where there was no support, no culture of learning and often other issues such as parental alcoholism, drug taking, disability, mental illness or just plain incompetence/indifference.

Are you happy to leave kids to that fate?

This may sound funny, but I've visited homes where flies flew OUT when the door opened. Should we blame kids for that?

I've had girls of 13, or less, 'disclose' things to me that you wouldn't want to hear about, and I'd rather not post about.

I've worked with loving, but desperate parents of kids who have such anger issues that they've wrecked the family home. Not because they're bad kids, but because they were damaged by the very drugs that Mum took innocently to control epilepsy whilst pregnant.

I could go on..

Please don't tell me that there are no Children in Need in this country.

And by the way. I had pretty much retired before the current bunch of heartless b$%^%$$s started attacking the poor and weak in society.

It's worse now.

Col

• Upvote 5

By and large Col what you say is true,and society has to support others who are in need,but in some areas why is this down to an ordinary Joe soap pledging a few quid,when last week Kate Middleton had a handmade pair of Jimmy Choo shoes made for a Bond film premiere.. at £5000 a pop,that would help towards some poor beggars support services,and you can connect that to senseless wars,The Olympics etc..Not all charity is bad..but due to the suit and tie charlatans out there..we have the right,surely to A: an opinion, and B: be selective in their genourosity.

There should be no children in nesd in this country.

Perhaps some people should realise that having kids is not a short cut to benefits.

Children in nee in this country is down to poor parenting.

• Upvote 6

There are children in need in this country due to all kinds of neglect and that should not be tolerated.

I do not like the Children in Need fundraising machine for all kinds of reasons to do with over sentimentality and my unease about the celebrity culture.

For me 2 good things that happen are that celebs do (appear to?) put themselves out and communities get involved and do things (usually about raising money, but it needn't be).

To improve the arrangements I would want local folk to decide on the genuine needs in their area and make sure that these needs are not those that should met from the public purse. Once those have been decided then by all means people should get together to make improvements (meet needs) but why do we have to wait for this time of year? Our benevolence or thoughtful philanthropy should be continuous.

• Upvote 4

Exactly my sentiments Siddha....Catfan and iandawson....

There are many children in need in this country through bad parenting....it's not their fault, the problem is the parents , the nanny state, the compensation culture and the lack of family support.....

How are we as a civilised society going to tackle the problem.....certainly not some c..p tv programme asking for hard earned cash to give to bad parents, certainly not some reality tv star or worse still a royal scrounger ,showing their " support "...,,, ?

We have to educate the parents of tomorrow in understanding the work ethic , the need to put their children first and that children are a luxury not a means to an end

• Upvote 5

Kids Charities? Don't make me laugh, what about Kids Company? As far as I'm concerned Batmanwhatsherface [what a crackpot BTW] owes us, the public tax payer, £46,000,000!! If you want to donate to the kids, sidestep the Auntie regime and people trying to show you how good, honest and popular they are by donating to the NSPCC. You can donate per month either via direct debit or via your paypacket, £2/month is the norm, then you can go out and enjoy yourself or watch something decent on TV.

• Upvote 3

Spot on, it's nearly always bad parents who breed bad kids, who themselves breed bad kids and so it goes on in indefinitely.

The invariably keep McDonalds, Pizza Express and Currys, Dixons and PCWorld going though with their 'necessities '

• Upvote 2

I work in the private rented sector and see it all, from the best to the worst. Those that make a huge effort to get things right and those that take the pi$$ and scrounge for everything.

There may be children in need in this country but the fact is with our welfare state there should not be, but when the parents come home with one carrying a bag from the food bank and the other with 6 cans of Stella bought with money that should feed and clothe their children I have to ask where did it go wrong.

One thing I do know you didn't see many folks with their hands out in the 50s and 60s someone would only have spat in it anyway.

• Upvote 5

Ive said this before on another topic. There are very few truly needy. Outside the little general store on Andover Rd Bestwood, it's usually ankle deep with Stella cans, ugh. Used scratch cards, energy drink cans, fag, crisp and other packets. Plus styrene food containers. Disgusting.

Thank you, thank you,it's the same here..and why are we hurt and moaning on this thread?..because in the past WE gave up so much to feed,talk,educate,cloth,interact, mind,love and cherish our kids.luxuries take a back seat. A couple of years ago I built an eco house in a resource centre the place ran schemes and support for the vulnerable..it ran a creche at 150 euro a week.inc 3 meals..til 6pm..not bad! I noticed two couples who had problems parenting and had 6 kids in the creche courtesy of' daddy dole'. A couple weeks later,I took a day off work to build a toilet cubicle in ladies toilet in one of the towns pubs for 120 euro,in the pub..FROM 9am til 6pm both shiesters drinking cans of Bulmers all day at a fiver a pop!!..I reported them to their 'case officer'.Driving past the other week pre 10am I spotted 'em heading for the high stool in Ryan's bar!! Sod Pudsey,I'd rather do a days volunteering at a hospice!!

Answers to a few comments:

Obviously you can blame some of it on bad parenting, but that's not the kid's fault. You have to break the cycle somehow. No child is born a scrounger, or a racist, or with any of the nasty attitudes which people learn later.

Stella cans on Andover only prove that people drop litter. You can surmise that they're being bought in place of food for kids, but do you know that? And if you can prove that doesn't it simply reinforce the argument that the kids being deprived are in need?

I gave examples above of why some kids have extra needs and why, even with the best will in the world, some parents don't cope. That's what Sure Start is about, but our present masters are cutting funding for that too.

One of the last clients I saw in work was a lovely young lad of 16 whose mental age was more like 4 or 5. He had a single Mum who also had learning difficulties and who I very strongly suspect was taken advantage of,.. hence her Son. She lived with her son and her Dad who had severe Alzheimer's. And her Mum, who was just about holding things together.. till she died.

Any glib answers to that little mess?

People on here haven't had the pleasure of my political rants yet. You may be spared them, but trust me, I don't let any Govt. off the hook when it comes to stuff like this.

I don't watch Children in Need because the fact that it is needed annoys me too. But I do make a contribution. And I also have been giving modestly to the NSPCC for decades. We have to do something while we're waiting for successive Govts to get it right.

I also have a daughter who is blind. She doesn't moan. She gets on with life. I'm just grateful that I and my wife have the 'nouse' and the wherewithall to have helped her when she needed it. But none of us have any shame in accepting the 'Disabled Student' funding she got which provided her with a PC with large print softwear etc, to help her get a degree in languages and a chance of a decent job. She now gets a small 'Disability Living Allowance', or whatever they've renamed it. It recognises that her living costs are increased by her disability. But she works, is married and is raising two children.

Oh.. she also has a mobile phone.... And she can see it because she isn't totally blind but has a very restricted field of vision. Mobiles are pretty much universal now and most deals have unlimited texts... They don't tell you much about people's circumstances. Unless of course we think that anyone who can't support themselves for whatever reasson should be happy with free food and nothing else.

There's an undercurrent in this thread that implies that we're mostly dealing with 'scallies and chavs', or the kids of same. I firstly take offence to that and secondly know it to be untrue.

The present government is cutting just about every bit of support for all disadvantaged groups in society. This is supposedly saving money. So do any of us feel any better off as a result?

We are presently suffering from a Government which would happily take us back to 19th Century levels of poverty and social division. They are dismantling systems of civilisation and mutual support which were developed over hundreds of years. We can argue forever about the detail, but please don't let them destroy our society with their scapegoating and constant blaming of the victim.

Col

• Upvote 1

I have worked in some of the most deprived inner city schools in the Uk..........I now work unpaid with some of the most vulnerable in our society....there needs to be a welfare system to help those who need it most but seek it less.....

This government ( and I'm not starting a political debate ) are trying to tackle what most people are talking about on this thread....the babies for cash dilemma ......no child in this country is in need, it is the parents who are depriving them not the government ........

As I have previously stated, educate the next generation of parents into believing there won't be a babies for cash situation.....if you want a family, work hard and save to provide , not never work and the state will provide...

• Upvote 7

You take offence and know it's untrue. Well, I'll save my energy and forego the pleasure of replying.

• Upvote 2

Col,I said it in a previous post,a lot of what you say is valid,and money taxpayers coughup for support for the needy seem to be diverted to other things.,remember the stretch limo?? Yes kids are moulded by adults and are not born with a ub40 in their hand..many would argue otherwise!! It is frustrating though to see food banks being abused etc..more monitoring of poor parenting..and maybe like the old visiting midwife..show the whole household how to cook,clean and live a healthy way..in effect basic life skills..what There parents didn't do!! There is no quick fix..but as workers options are squeezed.. sympathy and mistrust flourish.To be honest I think charity begins at home..and I had a shit one!!

@ Hippogirl #45.

Are you saying that you seriously believe the 'babies for cash' stuff? We all know about unwanted pregnancies, but do you seriously believe that anything other than a few nutjobs deliberately set out to put themselves in that situation?

'there needs to be a welfare system to help those who need it most but seek it less.....'

So how are you going to identify those you deem to be worthy?

Do abused children 'seek welfare'?

I'm not in favour of scroungers, but it seems to me that the present Govt is using hysteria and scapegoating, whipped up by their buddies in the press, to justify a wholesale assault on the UK welfare system. They are conning the bulk of the population of the UK into blaming the poor for the problems caused by the banks.

When this country can provide genuine and decently paid employment opportunity for everybody, who is capable of work, rather than the zero hours minimum wage tripe that predominates at present, then maybe we can concentrate all welfare on the rest.

But I for one won't be preached to by incompetent workshy morons like IDS, Cameron and Osborne.

IDS is scrounging off his wife's family and is a proven liar.

Osborne's family business hasn't paid any tax for SEVEN YEARS.

Cameron was born rich.

Do you really think these people give a damn about you or me and Children in Need?

Col