Children in Need

Children in need? they always need sommat,playstations,mobile phones,Nike trainers,tattoo's,when I "needed" owt I was told to geroff me arse and go and earn it

Rog

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In answer to post 50......I not only believe " babies for cash " situation is a career choice for many, but I know it to be true......Ask many young girls what they want to do after school and they wi

Pudsey the one eyed bear, I'd poke his other bloody eye out if I had my way, what a bloody embarassment, It's just another excuse for the so called do gooders, the likes of Bob (look how good I am) Ge

I have worked in some of the most deprived inner city schools in the Uk..........I now work unpaid with some of the most vulnerable in our society....there needs to be a welfare system to help those w

Posted Images

Easy to be critical but last year, according to their website, Save the Children raised £369m, 1% of that was used for costs. It's a big organisation that needs running. I wonder how many CEO's would be volunteering to run it for free, or even a cut-price rate?

The kids they raise money for don't have any of those things, they'd be happy just waking up in the morning feeling safe.

#123 & 124

As regards Buckingham Palace, I'm aware HM doesn't own it ( I'm a great fan of HM by the way ) and it's owned by the state. My point was the money could be better used. It isn't a 'monument' it's just a listed building and there are plenty of other tourist attractions in London. Considering it's value and the cost of repairing and then maintaining, the money could be better spent elsewhere. For example they could give a tiny proportion to deserving organisations that rely on charity, such as The Royal British Legion, Lifeboat Association, RSPCA to name but a few.

• Upvote 3

I almost agree entirely TBI, but Buck Palace is a massive tourism magnet.

I do agree with your three choices of charities.

• Upvote 1

Yes FLY, I agree it's a very popular attraction, but then London's not exactly short on attractions.

It was only a hypothetical suggestion anyway, never going to happen. I'm sure it'd get support from the anti-Queen mob though.

• Upvote 1

Crikey matey, us royalists definitely don't need that !

Anyhow, Children in Need ? have an unfair advantage over other charities. Six hours of prime ? BBC air time every year is something other charities can only dream about !

Paid for by the license fee payer ! (Not me tho)  !

Sadly, this country has many Children in Need.

To avoid accusations of getting political or wanting the last word, I am making one statement and that is it.

I worked for years with children and young people.  This often involved me visiting their homes.  You would not believe the levels of deprivation I saw, often the result of very low education, maybe combined with intergenerational learning/physical disability. I am not talking about the sort of low income existence which many here (me included) experienced as kids.  I'm talking about being unable to balance 'heat or eat?' questions etc.

People do not choose such situations.

A family of three boys lived in a filthy house with their alcoholic Dad.  He was a pretty hopeless case, but at least tried, and the kids got to eat.  The mother, another alcoholic had buggered off somewhere.

A young single Mum with learning difficulties who I strongly suspect was the victim of 'abuse', had a 16 year old son with learning difficulties who was at 'my' school. (  The only school for Moderate Learning Difficulties in the whole, already deprived borough of Knowsley) They were only keepng it together with the help of her Grandma, who was also trying to deal with her husband who had Alzheimer's.  Then the Gran died...  I don't know what happened next because my job and many like it were then deemed unneccessary by the Govt of the Day.  I could go on all day with such tales.

In other cases, disabled parents were trying their best to raise disabled kids.  A lose/lose situation.

Then of course there are all of the well documented and increasing homelessness issues which anyone with open eyes and hearts cannot fail to see.  And kids born into caring, stable homes, but with severe disabilities which tax the whole family.  And then the young kids with cancer and other terminal illnesses.  A family were featured who had lost both of their young children to cancer.  I can't even imagine how that feels.

Government policy (of all colours) for decades has failed to properly address these issues.  We shouldn't have Children in Need in this country, but we do.  This is not about lazy benefit scroungers or similar. This is not about kids wanting to be spoiled with toys.  This is about kids whose lives, and life chances are way below what most people take for granted and for which no proper mechanism exists to free them from a situation which is not of their making.

Unless and until enough people start to take responsibility for their fellow citizens, even if only by lobbying Govt. for better solutions, then we will continue to see Children in Need.

End of rant.

Col

• Upvote 4

Totally agree with you caftan, millions are raised every year yet they keep asking for more, where does it all go. There are some very deprived areas in Newcastle but they are closing after school clubs and breakfast clubs, sometimes only meal apart from school dinners.  Do they focus on certain areas/activities never seem to hear about what they do with the money raised.  We support the NSPCC and have done for a lot of years the  only charity that I can see doing good in my area.

• Upvote 1

Thank you DJ found it interesting reading but there is nothing that will help the underlying poverty in the area. Poor housing,  parents that are to young to cope nothing to stop the circle but a little help has to be better than nothing. 

• Upvote 3

My point was that it is disgraceful that in 2016 there is so called children in need in this country, still a disgrace this annual begging fest continues, instead of throwing money at this why aren't the children in need problems addressed properly once & for all.

Continuing to beg like this every year is not solving the problems of children in need, only carrying it on for another year.

Sad that in the 21st century.. we still have to do this...but then again there will always be vulnerable young ones....maybe more funds should be provided for protection agencies to go in and sort out hungry or mistreatment of children.