Children in Need

Every year we have this rammed down our throats by the BBC.

I don't have a problem with the point of it, but it seems to be a platform for naff bands, aka McFly, crap plays involving soap stars, and really an abysmal programme presented by smiley people telling us what we apparentley want to see. Is this what the so called media think that what life is all about, they obviously do, is it our fault or do you actually like this rubbish, surely a bit of imagination would make it more acceptable and an increase the audience, we don't all have one brain cell afer all. I've been listening to Radio 2 today and I found it embarrassing, I'm going to find a good phsychiatrist, I obviously have a problem.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In answer to post 50......I not only believe " babies for cash " situation is a career choice for many, but I know it to be true......Ask many young girls what they want to do after school and they wi

Pudsey the one eyed bear, I'd poke his other bloody eye out if I had my way, what a bloody embarassment, It's just another excuse for the so called do gooders, the likes of Bob (look how good I am) Ge

I have worked in some of the most deprived inner city schools in the Uk..........I now work unpaid with some of the most vulnerable in our society....there needs to be a welfare system to help those w

Posted Images

...Every year we have this rammed down our throats by the BBC. I don't have a problem with the point of it...

Totally agree...an extremely worthy event spoilt, year in year out, by the Beeb's arrogance and condescension.

Typical illustration is their conviction that putting on their presenters/weather forecasters in fancy dress and dancing/singing will captitvate the whole nation, who will be in tucks of laughter...not so.

Cheers

Robt P.

...............and, have you noticed that not 1 of them have bragged about how much THEY have donated????

Terry Wogan.......£800k a year...... much,much more than you or I earn, Chris Evans (tw*t), megga rich......

etc, etc, etc,

That's wot I say.

My hard earned dosh stays firmly in my deep pockets !bored2!

It's that time of year again, EBENEEZERS the lot of you

It's meant to be fun and if you got off your pedestals you would notice that the stars perform for nothing . give up their time etc ,

Take That (Not their biggest fan ) have just donated a quater of a million of their own pound notes !!!

I’m taking Firbecks Robs and Franks side on this one.

Stars perform for nothing?……big deal!

Take what donated ¼ million? Their own money? Tax dodging if you ask me.

Anyroadup that wot I say.

Bip.

I too follow Firbecks Robs and bips views, soory missed frank out that the stars perform for nowt, well, they take all year round don’t they?

Had to turn off tonight just couldn’t stand the syrupy sickly smell of contempt for others……my monies on the four thirty at kempton…

Rose.

...It's that time of year again, EBENEEZERS the lot of you...

You miiss the point...the first three ('Last of the Summer Wine'?) posters were not being critical of the worthy charity, but of the way that the supercillious Beeb present it to the viewers.

Cheers

Robt P.

We are'nt Ebenezers mate, we kept flicking over to try and understand, but quite frankly, it was embarrasing crap, a BBC self promotion of unimaginative rubbish. By the way, Take That, the second worst band in the existance of music after Westlife, may have donated money, that they don't deserve to have in the first place, but how much do you think that they will have made by the BBC presenting them as heroes, they can't bloody fail, were they promoting their Christmas CD as well, I don't know, I couldn't stand any of it, I was only interested in seeing a clip of the Xmas Dr Who episode, how are we supposed to cope with life after David Tennant, thats what I want to know.

What groups do you expect on there ?? The Beatles have long gone as have the Beach boys, they put on the current biggest bands ie Take That, McFly, The Sugarbabes , Girls alowed et al

As for the soap stars THEY ARE ACTORS, SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO, ACROBATICS???

And Frank I'm suprised at you , the idea of charity work is not to brag about how much you donate (Did you know Jeremy Beadle personally raised over £25,000,000 for his charities by public speaking and putting his name to things.

You strike me as the type of people who would go to a strip club and not be happy till there were just skeletons standing there

!jumping!

I'm sorry but I do not do charity to beggars, whether they are in the pub with a bucket ( now, how many of these have a genuine collecting card?????) on the street with a dog, or on the tele (with lots of dosh) but urging us to part with our small earnings (after most of it has gone in tax to HMRC).

I give privately to the charities or good causes of MY choice, in my own time, not when I'm being railroaded.

My sister has suffered from MS for a number of years and I have donated on many occasions to the MS fund that finances research for a cure. I'm not in a position where I have large amounts of spare cash to give away.

Of all these fund raising activities, how many do you know, where the total funds collected have been distributed entirely to the good cause??

Can you name one 'local' child that has received any money??

I don't think Terry Wogan was giving his time for nothing this week when he spent the whole week during his morning show, co-ercing us to part with our hard earned. He also didn't mention how much he had donated.

Rant over...........that's wot I say.

Biggest ripoff going

I can't to be honest, tell you of one local child who has benefited round there or here (And we couldn't half do with something for the kids round here!!)

And I don't give to beggars or pub collectors, I very rarely put a charity bag out, as you can't be sure where it's going.

I just don't 'get' why you seem to think that Terry Wogan should have to declare how much he has personally donated over the years, surely thats his perogative , same as it is yours !!

Rant over , and thats what I say too (Pint before Christmas mate ??)

All money now collected and put in Bank of Iceland! Did you see Cats Protection League "lost" £14,000.000 in that collapse? (just going on what was on news) it's funny (if true), I thought the money was collected to help cats? maybe they were spending interest on such? but more likely that going on managers cars etc (used to work virtually next door to a certain animal welfare place and the amount of staff! (all with cars provided) etc. A similar thing (nothing to do with charity etc) happened at a local doctors, for years there were always 4 doctors with one receptionist, a bloke, then it changed, still 4 doctors but maybe 3 receptionists, talking about nights out, doing their nails etc, and countless others wondering about, plus when you want an appointment it's "is Wednesday ok?" "it is, then 10.30am on wednesday Nov 19th 2010" !

What groups do you expect on there ?? The Beatles have long gone as have the Beach boys, they put on the current biggest bands ie Take That, McFly, The Sugarbabes , Girls alowed et al

As for the soap stars THEY ARE ACTORS, SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO, ACROBATICS

As for the soap stars THEY ARE ACTORS, SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO, ACROBATICS???

Matey, I see what you are saying, yes, the Beatles and Beach Boys are long gone, but there are top, talented groups out there other than boy and girl bands, the media seem to be obsessed with them at the expense of all others, perhaps you should watch Jools Holland, though to be fair to the organisers, I doubt whether Kaiser Chiefs, Snow Patrol, Elbow et al would want to have much to do with such an event, Seasick Steve might, and as such a nutter, he would be good entertainment value. McFly are always wheeled out to perform the 'Official Anthem', but please don't try and tell me that they have any talent, along with no hopers such as Leon Jackson who sobbed his way through to win the X-Factor last year.

As or the soap stars doing acrobatics, well thats more or less almost exactly what they are doing, Come Dancing, How to Look 'Bad' Naked, performances of musicals, you name it, thats what they do on the show.

I watched Prince Charlies birthday bash on ITV last night, a charity event that was on another planet by comparison, it was well produced, well organised and well performed, Eric Idle's finale of

'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' was unforgettable.

BBC take note, but they won't change their so called winning formula, though looking at most of the comments on here, perhaps they should.

Mc fly ,no talent , !!!!?????

In the three and a half years since McFly released their debut single, “Five Colours In Her Hair”, the band have enjoyed a soaraway success, achieving SEVEN Number 1 singles and TWO Number 1 albums. Frontman Tom Fletcher recently made chart history when McFly’s last single topped the chart, marking his 10th number one in the British Hit Singles Chart, having written more number one hits than U2, Queen and Robbie Williams (all before the age of 21)! This includes 3 hits that he co-wrote for Busted.

The bands that performed, for free, are the biggest around at the moment.

Different ages different tastes , move with the times and except change , thats what I say

By the way a group along the lines of who you seem to like "Razorlite" pulled out at the last minute , claiming a sore throat.

I'm not picking on Terry Wogan especially, but he was the one I was listening to.

Now, in my book, if some well off individual - be it Terry or someone else - has the (paid) job of goading us into parting with our hard earned funds, then I think it right that they should start off by saying, " hey, I think this is a real good cause and I've donated £xxxx, so com'n you lot, join in and give what you can"

That's all I'm trying to say.

Listening to that idiot Keith Chegwin begging for us to donate on Friday morning just about pushed me over the top I'm afraid.

As fer a beer before Christmas - Just count me in. And I might just donate a pint or two to your deserving charitable needs. !laughing!

Can' do the weekend of 6th Dec, and we fly out on the 23rd. So, anytime between now and the 23rd is good.

That's wot I say.

Are you up for it Mick??

Beefsteak

I don't care what you say, McFly are completely crap.

Like the other bands you mention, they are a product of the manipulation of the music industry by big business in order to line their pockets. As far as their wondrous number of number ones is concerned, forget it, you only need to sell 10 singles these days to get to the 'Toppermost of the Poppermost' as Lennon once said. You cannot compare these abysmal little saddoes to U2, they shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

You just have to look at the rubbish that we are being forced to appreciate on X-Factor, it's all manipulation and based on sob stories. Whats happened to any of these pathetic winners, Steve Gluckstein or whatever he's called, what cosmic music has he introduced to the world.

It's obvious who's going to win already this year, that little kid from NI, who reduced a bloody good song by George Michael to a load of whining trash, but he's a nice smiley kid with a new baby sister, so thats all right then.

I would suggest that out of all these talentless, pathetic people forced on us, only a couple have any talent, Will Young and Leona Lewis, she is magnificent, and please note her latest single was written by Snow Patrol.

My missus is a trained classical musician, her cousin and pal is Jo O'Mara, late of S Club Seven, we know about all the stories of manipulation and rip offs that exist in the music business, you seem to have swallowed it, hook line, and sinker, thats what they want you to do.

I don't get particularly offended or disappointed by the way the BBC present Children in Need night, samey or mediocre though people may view it as. I have no particular expectations of it and am just happy that an awful lot of money is raised for good causes for the small sacrifice of one more Friday night's run-of-the mill, second-rate viewing.

If anyone is dubious about where the officially collected money goes to I'm certain that it would be a fairly simple matter to find all funds accounted for from the BBC. For those that would enjoy knowing that moneys had benefited local children in particular I can confirm that I have seen this with my own eyes whilst working with special needs children in Nottinghamshire.

Having said all that, McFly et al are rubbish! :-)

These are all personal opinions so lets not let the opinions get personal

Rog !sleeping!

Sorry, I apologise for it getting supposedly personal, I'm just surprised at someone older than 12 or who wasn't making money out of them, defending McFly, thats all.