Having moved away from Nottingham about 20 years ago, i recently bumped into a fellow exile in a pub and the topic moved onto watering holes in the city.

So the question is. What on earth was the name of the pub on Shakespeare Street opposite the police station which had the topless barmaids and strippers. It wasn't russels, now the orange tree.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Well done Beefsteak for solving that one, I remember seeing a stripper in there once called Bubbles, she had a little kid with her who stood at the back of the stage watching his mam, surreal or what! was she any good? I don't know I was too embarrassed to watch her so I stared into the bottom of me shandy until she had finished

Rog

The owners later moved to the one at the bottom of Carlton Road (The Duke of Cambridge???) I think her name was Christine.

I don't know how I manged to make two separate posts, #5 and #6 on this subject. I went in to edit my first post and it has come out as two different ones !!

Theowners name was Chrissy Bliss, I remember her sitting in a chair at the entrance to the Clinton Arms, sticking her leg out and tripping me up, as I entered, cos I had not payed the Ten Bob to get in!

I remember seeing a stripper in there once called Bubbles,

Rog

They had some lovely looking girls on stage (at least, that's how they looked to me at the time). Used to call in to see the show (Clinton Arms) after an evenings' swim at the old Victoria Baths.

But it was a 'very orderly house', and no nonsense tolerated. Remember one chap tried to show his appreciation by plonking a bottle of wine he purchased from the bar on the front of the small stage as a present for 'artiste'.

And what thanks did he get? He was immediately grabbed by the scruff of the neck, the gift handed back to him - and he was put out on the pavement. Never did understand that - but perhaps he'd been a problem in the past?

Paid a small sum to get in, but believe thay also passed a beer mug round afterwards for a collection.

Never seemed to be anything 'seedy' about the place at all and never saw any bad behaviour or trouble.