• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

all the bird lads at the top of cavo were always called dickienever kneew which one was which they were all dickie even when they all in pub together. george brown who also lived next dore to davewas also a lorry driver he drove for cheshires of nottingham on nottingham rd i whould often go along for the ride with him in my school holidays one i used to like to go with him was east coast run scarborough filley whitby ect he whould leave me at the seaside while he made his drops and pick me up later used to love those days out you could see so much more from the cab than a car.and i felt groen up being left to do my own thing at the seaside i was about 13 at the time and if we went to the sea side mum and dad would never let me go off on my own like i did at home at the time i did not really know why that was i do know of course.

Lucy Kelly is also dead, As is Ron Dyer but Johnnie Knowles is still alive and kicking (saw him at Christmas at my mum and dads house).

I remember Bill when he was at Northgate in Basford many moons ago

Johnny Knowles.... that's a name from the past! Lisa, do me a favour please and tell him Kev from Thurgarton was asking after him? We had some great laughs together back in the 80's, but lost touch.

Thought of a few others , possibly gone now.... Derek Hayman (?) lived up Hyson Green, his missus was Maggie, Derek worked for Bill for many years. Bob Rutter was another one that comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Johnny Knowles.... that's a name from the past! Lisa, do me a favour please and tell him Kev from Thurgarton was asking after him? We had some great laughs together back in the 80's, but lost touch.

Thought of a few others , possibly gone now.... Derek Hayman (?) lived up Hyson Green, his missus was Maggie, Derek worked for Bill for many years. Bob Rutter was another one that comes to mind.

Derek is still alive and kicking, he is my dad and Maggie is my Mum. (they are still up the Green too)

Bob Rutter well the beer was bound to get him in the end.

Johnny Knowles moved to America but visits quite a few times a year so will pass on your message next time he pops in

• Upvote 2

surprized no one has mentioned stirlands of lenton a large firm for many years they used to do all the woerk for boots in the 60/70s piggys brother john worked for them for many years think wests took over from them in the 90s

surprized no one has mentioned stirlands of lenton a large firm for many years they used to do all the woerk for boots in the 60/70s piggys brother john worked for them for many years think wests took over from them in the 90s

Stirlands became part of TDG group some years ago; the Willow Road depot closed in 2003. They were known for always being immaculately clean; it was said that Jack Stirland used to watch the lorries going out of the yard from his office window, and anyone who took a dirty lorry out was in trouble.

There were a lot of firms in Boots Babs; George Dominics, Marshalls, Clearway, Wests were the main ones, may have been others.

proberbly were remember a few of them names when i worked d10 in the late 60s seventies used to come out by the loading bays to get busses home always loads of big lorries being filled ready to go of on there different routes.

Swinglers still have the steam showmans engine, it started off life as a road steam roller but Swingler converted it to the showmans road loco you see today, I have a pics somwhere I will post when I get home, they are still in the heavy haulage business today

Rog

My brother worked for Stirlands for many years

My brother worked for Stirlands for many years

May have missed this in earlier pages, were they known as Stirland & Dakin's?

May have missed this in earlier pages, were they known as Stirland & Dakin's?

not sure i thought it was Stirland Trailer Fitters (or something similar)

Dad went on to work for Redferns after Bill finished, there was a very dodgy accountant (or thats what he said he was) called Warick. Was based at Hartley Road for a while and then up at Ilkeston.

An old mate of mine, we were playmates in the 50's and just recently hooked up via FB, is an owner operator out of Derby.. His Dad used to drive for a "one horse outfit" in the 50's, Direct Deliveries on Meadow Lane somewhere.

I'll get Billy to join the site, he must have driven for a few hauliers in his time.

I suppose we could tie this thread in with the new TV series?

"It was the latest scene of BBC drama Truckers to be filmed in the area, with other locations including Stonebridge City Farm, in St Ann's, Wollaton Park, and Eastwood.

The five-part comedy drama is set in Nottingham and follows the fortunes of a small family trucking firm and was penned by Southwell-raised writer William Ivory."

I was in town one day last week and there was a film crew outside the Council House, with signs saying they were filming 'Truckers' ( + if you didn't want to be on the telly keep out of camera shot). Well it WAS right by the lions and people still meet there!!

Hi all, New to this site, my dad worked for direct delivery service and was in the British waterways yard at the bottom of Trent lane

opposite the entrance to the scouts huts. He also worked for British waterways and British gypsum at east leak and Gotham. I drove for whatmoughs sweets, hicking and pentecost, saxbys, GUS Transport now white arrow, FM transport, coaches on Nottingham city transport.

Hope some members remember some of them old Nottingham companies.

Walking down Arkwright Street from town cross waterway street, past the Indian Restaurant on the left.

Small road that ran back to waterway street, turn left and immediately on the right there was a yard (Name?)

In there there was a Hauliers (Name?) Had a daughter called Pamela?

Cant make out name of the street on 1960's Meadows Map