• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

they have also been filming truckers around ilkeston eastwood too spent a week filming at mfn inside mostlyits allmost imposible to get trucks down there because of the low bridge at one end and narrow canal bridge at the other end . last summer one trucker did manage to get down somehow from the 610 end and got stuck under the bridge the other damaging both bridges and the truck his boss eventualy came down lowwered the tyres backed it up to malcs car park portible pump to pump back up the tyres backed into malcs carpark turned it back round towards 610 and drove it back over the two little canal bridges causing more damage to both the truck and the bridge much to the amusement of us who sat outside watching.

Hello Catfan thank you for your reply i'm looking to find people who worked at ADL and photo's of the van's my late father was an away driver with them from Dudley in the west midlands

I could be wrong but were their wagons Ford Cargo's or even Bedford TKs ? Blue in colour ?

• Like 1

Cannot remember their name but there was a truck company in Netherfield used to run sugar from the Newark and Colwick sugar beet factories. their name may have began with a "B"

The trucks were painted blue and the ealry ones were all flat tray artics that had to be roped and tarped, they then went up to Tautliners, which had the box type back with sliding curtain side walls, much easier for the driver.

An old neighbour drove for them for a while then he went to another local Gedling or Carlton outfit running bulk coal and coke around and a bit of brewery waste occasionally.

I used to work a 9 day fortnight in my job, so often used to go a run with him on my day off, just for the fun of it.

He then had one of the latest Volvo 88 cab over sleeper trucks, lovely vehicle. Again painted royal blue.

In his latter years he drove a city transport bus, usually on the 25 route.

Lovely bloke but died a few years ago.

banjo48 (#94) "truck company in Netherfield used to run sugar from the Newark and Colwick sugar beet factories. their name may have began with a "B"

Remember it well.................BARLEY

simpkins-barley-sugar_f.jpg

We had a friend who drove for H Brown & Sons (Coal & Haulage) Ltd. This was in the 1970's. During the school holidays, i used to go with him,delivering mainly to Boots retail shops.

Pretty sure it was a Bedford. Livery was Blue with Red.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong but were their wagons Ford Cargo's or even Bedford TKs ? Blue in colour ?

They did have cargo's but not blue, they did have grey and blue D series in the 70's then the colour changed to orange and white as in the photo posted by michael booth

Beardsleys and Steads used to do a lot of the sugar beet work.

• Upvote 1

Beardsley's was the one I was thinking about. They used to have a depot in Netherfield but moved down to Colwick I think.

We used to do a lot of 'smaller stuff' for Beardsleys (7.5 tonners) Hensons, and Steads,

Saw one of Beardsleys on Hucknall Rd yesterday. I think Steads used to have a small depot just on the left of Churchfield Lane, Bobbers Mill, early to mid 50s .Where the Heron shop is now.

• 3 weeks later...

Jack Stirland sold his business to TDG in 1964 but remained MD until the late 70s I worked there from 1987 until 2003 I left to work for players as a HGV Shunter my Dad worked at Stirlands for 37 years as well as my 2 uncles and my Grandad worked there for a short time the Willow road depot closed down in 2002 and we moved up to West Hallam near Ilkeston the familiar red and white colours where changed in the early 90s when Boots insisted all contract hauliers lorries should be painted blue I own a 1981 Seddon Atkinson 401 tractor unit which I have restored in the Stirlands colours

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

A good start for Truckers last night on the BBC. Which made me nostalgic and led me to this forum.

After the war my dad worked for Skill's until 1952, followed by Chambers and then Marshall's. He went into the office at Marshall's and then became the manager of the London depot in 1964. I remember going on many a delivery with him as a child (health and safety was not even considered then). I also came back to Nottingham on a regular basis to watch Forest. I would work my passage helping to load and unload the trucks.

I also remember cycling from Aspley to Bulwell to see my dad at the Marshall,s depot.

Also Clearway is no longer around they moved upto Bulwell West transport are still going strong

I did 3 1/4 years as a weekend security guard for Clearways (1999-2002) at there Triumph Road site, got to meet a lot of good blokes & a few nice Lady's. Enjoyed my time there..

Welcome John. Keep the truckers stories coming.

There's another firm to add to the Nottingham Hauliers now. "Banks of England"

• 1 year later...

I had a mate named Ken Bullock his dad had removal business Bullocks removales top of Redland grove carlton, if anyone remembers them.

I remember Harriss removals I think was in netherfield.

I had a mate named Ken Bullock his dad had removal business Bullocks removales top of Redland grove carlton, if anyone remembers them.

I remember Harriss removals I think was in netherfield.

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulage as i'd never be owt more than a glorified barrow boy; must admit there have been days like that but I've now been in what's nowadays known as "logistics" for over 30 years and there are far worse ways to earn your living.

• Upvote 4

Scriv, I have just surrendered my Vocational Licences. My HGV aquired in 73' & PSV in 74' before the DVLA took em off me on medical grounds.

Seen a lot of changes over the years & to be honest I am over the moon that I am out of it.

God help any poor sod coming in to the industry nowadays. (if they can afford to).

PS, Know anyone who wants to buy a DQC ! :jumping::hand:

• Like 1