I was only saying on another forum recently, that I'm probably of the last generation of lorry drivers who can truthfully say that they've enjoyed the job. It still has its good points, I wouldn't want to go back to working in a factory or office; but over the last few years it seems to be increasingly micro-managed by technology. I don't mind the automatic transmissions, but when I get people telling me that i can drive the lorry better by piddling about pushing buttons on the steering wheel rather than using the two pedals on the floor which have served us perfectly well for over a century, it gets a bit much. It's a lorry not a bloody Playstation!

And as for the DQC; I referred to it in one drivers' meeting as a "Diploma in Second-Generation Doctrination Exsugeration"; I'm sure you can work out what that means!

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

Hi Scriv #115 Yes i remember Derek, can't think what his working mate's name was.

I used to have roofing material delivered years ago by Matlock transport I don't know wether they still trade.

Chettle was another firm of chettles yard opposite white horse radford.

Watts was another firm I believe they were black lorries.

Dring transport comes to mind I think they were in Carlton possibly Gladstone street.

Hi Scriv #115 Yes i remember Derek, can't think what his working mate's name was.

I used to have roofing material delivered years ago by Matlock transport I don't know wether they still trade.

Chettle was another firm of chettles yard opposite white horse radford.

Matlock transport are still going, there lorries always look smart.

Marshall haulage company was roughly where Morrisons is today on Hucknall lane.

Bf-P3n-CYAAtdey.jpg

I remember Marshalls very well, they were friends of my inlaws (Taylor's Butcher's) for years, Mr Marshall started work with a horse and cart and worked his way up.........They had their house built into the wall of the railway bridge that went over the road on Hucknall Lane..........I had many friends who worked or them over the years..........

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

hi guys and gals just a line to say i thought i was the only one who remembers the old companies , many a time i was down jock kellys yard in bulwell with my old man who knew him well . my old man had his own company it started out as r & t transport through to hambleton haulage to its final a&h international ltd sadly no longer running we had contracts with players as i remember picking up from i vaguely remember no 3 factory and taking loads up to tillicoultry in scotland ,we also did subbie for rh freight to iraq before taking on contracts with a company called falcongate from wallasey ,

I remember Marshalls very well, they were friends of my inlaws (Taylor's Butcher's) for years, Mr Marshall started work with a horse and cart and worked his way up.........They had their house built into the wall of the railway bridge that went over the road on Hucknall Lane..........I had many friends who worked or them over the years..........

A very good friend of mine of many years ago, Robert Potter was a class 1 HGV driver for Marshall's for many years

post-6881-0-12355900-1420223525_thumb.jp and also chris hill who had a daf 3300 his company was overland transport and he had a brother called keith who was also a driver but he died in a garage explosion in holland the daf in the photo was chris`s and the man was mine in iraq

Think my old neighbour from the uk may have driven for Drings, not sure though. His truck was in blue livery and he used to run coal from Gedling colliery to a cokeing (spelling) plant up North (they turned the coal into coke smokeless fuel), also down to South Wales to the collieries, his name was Brian Newman, lived on Violet road Carlton.

He was a commercial body fitter by trade but loved his HGV driving.

He taught me heaps rebuilding and repairing cars bodywork, welding, spraying etc. as he had a sideline and always had a repair job on the go in his garage workshop at home, I used to watch and learn more than help him.

A very good friend of mine of many years ago, Robert Potter was a class 1 HGV driver for Marshall's for many years

Maybe he knew a friend of ours called a Terry Lucas who worked there for many years too...................also a Fred Long from way back in the 60's who worked there.....

Watts of Notts,

Midnight blue & Red, used to be based at the bottom of porchester road back in the 60s

I mentioned Watts earlier in the thread; I knew Dave Watts slightly, very nice bloke.

I mentioned Watts earlier in the thread; I knew Dave Watts slightly, very nice bloke.

Believe they used to be on the demolition side of transport using tippers.

Worked there as an app sparky, a young girl across the road took a shine to me & my scoot and we went out together, but hey as they say that's another story.

denshaw/

K&M had their yard on Piccadilly off Highbury vale, then moved to Hucknall, at the start of the Hucknall bypass (Bulwell end) and then to Hucknall airadrome of Watnall road, I Drove for them for a while in the 80,s on their artic semi flats.

steel cowboy, I worked with Bill (jock) Kelly some years ago, when we both Drove for F.V.S (Freeman Volkers & Stuart) from Stockton on Tees.

He did the night Trunk from Nottm- to - Stockton and back, I was on regular days running West Midlands & London.

He was a bit of a lad, But a great bloke to get on with. There were three artic,s and six drivers based in Nottm at the time , the day men

parked the trucks to were they lived,

• Upvote 1

Frank, The names you are after, would that be Malc Pridggin & Sid Freestone, before Sid came to Marshall,s he ran the pub called the Appolo,

next door to Marshall,s on Hucknall Lane I don't think it is there now , I believe it has been demolished.

I knew them some years ago as I used to drive for Marshall,s , and also I was a charge hand in the garage. (Transport Repairs)..,

• Upvote 1

I worked at Marshalls from 1979 in the International Department with Peter Rhodes, Beryl and boss Jim ?. Can remember many of the drivers, great company to work for, loved it there. Still have a few photos of the trucks. Our department was taken over by Vaughan Associates and moved to R H Freight.

• Upvote 1

I worked at Marshalls from 1979 in the International Department with Peter Rhodes, Beryl and boss Jim ?. Can remember many of the drivers, great company to work for, loved it there. Still have a few photos of the trucks. Our department was taken over by Vaughan Associates and moved to R H Freight.

Hi, Did you know an old mate of mine Robert (Bob) Potter, HGV Class 1 driver but unsure what years he worked for Marshalls?

• Upvote 1

Michael Booth, I think you find me right when I say Stirland & Dakin were once as furniture removers in their early days, they had a furniture warehouse & depositary

at the top of Talbot st near canning circus, in their very early days.

when their partnership collapsed, Jack Stirling, for a short time , joined force with A.R.Marshall, and the company went under the flag of M&S Transport

once again they split and they went under their own way.

after some years , J Stirland was bought out by Transport Development Group. and Marshalls sold up under circumstances and the land was developed to build Morrisons store.

• Upvote 1

Catz /

you say you were at Marshalls in 1979- onwards , can you recall :- John Taylor, John Tinker, Dennis Wright, Jim Alvey, Fred Preistman, and many

more , I worked for Marshalls twice in my life time , as Driver & in the Garage under Transport Repairs as charge hand mechanic, also work up

Balloon woods under Keech,s in their Garage. Best job I ever had ,

Dennis Merrin.

• Upvote 1