Hi Dennis, blimey yes I can, not Fred Preistman though. I loved it there, my first job from College, all I ever wanted to do was work in the Haulage world. Being bought up with vintage vehicles, jeeps, Commer truck with a Queen Mary trailer, Austin K9 and Commer coach. Married a HGV driver of course! Did have my provisional and drove a Globetrotter (best truck out!) to Newark to the Lorry Driver of the Year Competition. Just wish I had gone for training to get my licence!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HI CATZ / Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back on my life , and were iv,e been , but I

They were still doing a little bit of that in 1987 when I started working there. There were no depots at the resorts by then but we still took a few cases; growing car ownership and package holidays k

My godfather, Derek Foster worked for Harris for many years; he ended up driving a road sweeper for Gedling council, said it was the best job you could wish for. He always told me to avoid road haulag

Posted Images

HI CATZ /

Nice of you to answer, I am now living in Swinton , Manchester, but still miss Nottingham, I will be 75 in March and I look back

on my life , and were iv,e been , but I would not change it for anything. I have met some great people and have great memory s, but I would

not go back on the road with all the red tape involved in it, I had 43 years in the transport ind, and retired in 2003,

• Upvote 5

SCRIV /

If I can help you with any name of any Haulage Contractor in and around Nottingham from 1945 - -to the present day

I have compiled a list of 70 names of contractors in road transport, some still with us, and a lot, sadly have finished.

Dennis.

• Upvote 1

I worked at Marshalls from 1979 in the International Department with Peter Rhodes, Beryl and boss Jim ?. Can remember many of the drivers, great company to work for, loved it there. Still have a few photos of the trucks. Our department was taken over by Vaughan Associates and moved to R H Freight.

hi catz , it would be nice to see your photos of the trucks at marshalls , any chance of uploading them ?

• Upvote 1

Catz /

you say you were at Marshalls in 1979- onwards , can you recall :- John Taylor, John Tinker, Dennis Wright, Jim Alvey, Fred Preistman, and many

more , I worked for Marshalls twice in my life time , as Driver & in the Garage under Transport Repairs as charge hand mechanic, also work up

Balloon woods under Keech,s in their Garage. Best job I ever had ,

Dennis Merrin.

Bloody Hell Dennis, how are you chap?................. Cookie (Howitts)

• Upvote 1

SCRIV /

If I can help you with any name of any Haulage Contractor in and around Nottingham from 1945 - -to the present day

I have compiled a list of 70 names of contractors in road transport, some still with us, and a lot, sadly have finished.

Dennis.

Post it up by all means Dennis; my memories only go back as far as the early 1970's really, be interesting to fill in the blanks.

Scriv,

I apologies for digressing from the main topic but you said you lived opposite the Red Lion in Thurgarton.

Did you know Jim Renwick who owns the pub, who previously owned The Ship at Lowdham, The Manor at Elton and a pub on Westgate in Grantham?

Also the Dicks or Horne family?

Volly/

is that you in there Allen ? not the one and only.

Its been a long time , are you still working ? or are you one of us retired gentlemen type, give us a shout!

• Upvote 1

Volly/

is that you in there Allen ? not the one and only.

Its been a long time , are you still working ? or are you one of us retired gentlemen type, give us a shout!

Hi Dennis yes it's me M8, PM me and we can have a chat and do some catching up.

Allan....... (Cookie)

Scriv,

I apologies for digressing from the main topic but you said you lived opposite the Red Lion in Thurgarton.

Did you know Jim Renwick who owns the pub, who previously owned The Ship at Lowdham, The Manor at Elton and a pub on Westgate in Grantham?

Also the Dicks or Horne family?

i do know Jim, he's still there. And the Dicks, that'd be Celia who was my Dad's next door neighbour. Her husband (Arthur, but always known simply as Dick) was an architect. Horne doesn't ring any bells though.

Scriv.

Small world, Jim was married to Linda, now divorced.

Did you know during the war a tank rang over Arthur Dick's foot, left him with a limp. He was my very first boss at Sutton, Pearce & Dick, Chartered Architects and Surveyors, 13 Clarendon Street. He use to drive a jag but changed it for a red sports car but I can't remember the make, could have been a Lotus.

The Hornes were neighbours of the Dicks but probably after you left, Arthur is now dead, the Hornes are also architects.

Scriv.

Small world, Jim was married to Linda, now divorced.

Did you know during the war a tank rang over Arthur Dick's foot, left him with a limp. He was my very first boss at Sutton, Pearce & Dick, Chartered Architects and Surveyors, 13 Clarendon Street. He use to drive a jag but changed it for a red sports car but I can't remember the make, could have been a Lotus.

The Hornes were neighbours of the Dicks but probably after you left, Arthur is now dead, the Hornes are also architects.

I suspect Hornes were neighbours of theirs in Tollerton, before they moved to Thurgarton in the mid-1960's; Dick designed the house himself as you'll remember, unfortunately his timing was poor and the oil crisis in the early 1970's made it horrendously expensive to heat. I lived in Thurgarton for many years and knew everyone in the village; Celia was a close friend of my parents and I, and I can assure you that there was no Horne family in the village. Dick died suddenly in his office, in 1983 of a heart attack, he'd not been well for some years . He did have a Lotus, a Europa; he was a bit of a madhead behind the wheel, wrote it off and it nearly killed him. Had an Opel Manta after that; my abiding memory was that it stunk of fags, as you might remember he smoked like a chimney, and he never cleaned the inside, it was an absolute tip!

Celia died in about 2005; old-fashioned, stubborn as a mule but she had a heart of pure gold and was a wonderful friend. I still miss her.

Dick certainly was a heavy smoker, always had a fag on in the office. I think he also liked his whiskey. I know he had a son because he mention some shares he was given in Butlins holiday camp, funny what rubbish you remember.

The Horne's certainly live in Thurgaton and they definitely knew the Dick's but don't know when they moved to your old village.

My connection with Arthur Dick firm was very brief, summer 1968 to December 1969, the pay was rubbish so I left.

I would imagine you know Pauline at the Black Horse, Caythorpe

• 4 weeks later...

Ian here now living in Tipperary, lived opposite Dennis& Roberts on Peacheys street! Anyone remenber Don greene for BRS or Jim (compo) for BFI? Or Atlas Express; green TK'S or those Commers for BRS parcels?? Did they have Eaton Two Speed back axles?? or Jimmy Gambles balking twenty gallons for a fifteen gallon tank!! What about Albert shunter for Stirlands. Vick loyd ace shunter ( reg: hut156h??) that pristine Atkinson. Memories hey Guy Warriors still do it for me!!!!

Hello Ian. Well I certainly remember Dennis & Roberts. Used to get french polish and other polishing stuff from there in my early days in the piano trade. They moved from Peachey Street to the back of houses on Snienton Dale - then they vanished!